stem pressing help - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

stem pressing help

I am going to have to press out two triple tree stems and swap the one back in. I do not have a press for thgis and am wondering what tips you guys might have, or where to go to get that done?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn
I am going to have to press out two triple tree stems and swap the one back in. I do not have a press for thgis and am wondering what tips you guys might have, or where to go to get that done?

TIA
I could be wrong, Mark, but I believe the lower aluminum tree is cast around the stem base, and not pressed in. If that's the case, it's not replacable. A pressed stem in aluminum will pull out eventually/come loose, even if tapered. You'll notice the stem is NOT a separate part on any parts list as well. Only the steel stem with the aluminum lower tree..........

Over at Fireblades, there was a guy that couldn't get a stem out with a 20 ton press, torch or anything, and I've seen steel parts CAST in aluminum before.

(Example: Harley pre-1966 bronze valve seats (panhead) are cast in the aluminum heads)

Not saying I know this firsthand, but I'm willing to bet...........

If not......disregard.

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............

Last edited by Rigor; 12-04-2006 at 08:29 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Ok, then i have to just swap the head bearings out then right? i am tyring to do the triple tree and fork RC30/RC51 swap like thorsten did and thought for some reason he reused the 30 stem. I will go see what i can dig up then, thanks for the help Dave.

OH, those things should be to you the next day or so

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Ok, then i have to just swap the head bearings out then right? i am tyring to do the triple tree and fork RC30/RC51 swap like thorsten did and thought for some reason he reused the 30 stem. I will go see what i can dig up then, thanks for the help Dave.

OH, those things should be to you the next day or so
Got all winter, Mark........ Thanks!!

Dave

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

me too

to many projects, not enough money LOL

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 05:30 AM

Steering stem can be pressed out of the SP1/SP2 lower clamp.

Take it to a machine shop with a press.

Note: Check your offset. I was going to do a swap for my NC30 but found out my stock offset is 35mm from centerline of steering head to centerline of forks. SP1/929/954 offset is 30mm. 5mm difference in offset is going to upset the handling of your bike.

NC30 has some parts in common to the RC30. Parts Classification Number, or PCN is the same:

91016-MR7-003 Steering head bearings, upper and lower
53214-MR8-003 Upper steering head dust seal
Lower dust seal is different.
90304-MR7-000 NUT, STEERING STEM

SP2 share the same parts. Check ronayers.com for the fiche. Using a SP2 upper and lower clamp with RC30 steering stem might be your best bet if you want to go the economic route. Although, you would have to figure out how to mount the SP2 lower clamp to the RC30 stem. I haven't checked the Durbahn site so I don't know.

Perhaps he had to use the RC30 stem because the SP2 stem was too long to fit in the RC30 frame. Which is the case with the NC30. I think the reason why he used the RC30 stem is so he didn't have to modify the SP2 stem. The RC30 stem should be the same diameter as the SP2 stem. So you can mount the SP2 top clamp/bridge to it.

My NC30 lower clamp and stem was welded together. Also, the steering stem was about 50mm shorter than the 954 stem. I had to either shorten and rethread the stem or use a big spacer. What did I do? I went with adjustable Attack triple clamps with correct 35mm offset.

Check out Robs website. It'll give you some useful information.
http://x-files.serveftp.com/harkerma...p/nc30mods.htm
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

thanks yack!

i am not 100% sure if he reused the 30 stem but i think he did. He does not offer help to easily and i email him oftenn regarding parts and never hear back. I guess until i rip off the 30 triples and compare i will be slightly in the dark.

maybe he just used the 51 forks, triple and stem and dealt with the offset change, possible???

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Full Spectrum

Both the RC30 and RC51 use a 30mm offset.
Both also have a pressed in stem.
Both also have the same diameter lower stem.

As was suggested, go to a machine shop with a press and have them swapped.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

OK, so i did remeber correctly then, swap the 30 stem to the 51 and i am good to go.

thanx Jason

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Talking must have CF

Quote:
me too

to many projects, not enough money LOL
Cash on it's way...........need address

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode