Need some help... - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Need some help...

I'm new to the board so hello! I have a problem and need some help..
i bought a 2001 RC51 back in august of this year. the dealership i bought it from told me it had a rebuilt title, so i drove all the way to georgia and back. i get it home and try to register it and the DMV notifies me that it was being branded as salvage not rebuilt (the bike is in perfect order, not in salvage state). so now florida wants a rediculus amount of stuff inorder to change it to rebuilt (stuff i cant get ahold of and seems like the dealership cant either) and get it registered. I ripped the place i bought it from a new one and they are "working on it" now my question to you all is what can be done, i know the obvious would be buy a new frame but i dont have that kind of money right now. does anyone here have any idea? im desperate and beyond frustrated. sorry for the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 PM

I can tell you that trying to register it in Florida is a waste of time. There is one woman that decides whether you get a title or not and most of the time.. it's not! There is soooo much theft in the state that they are VERY difficult to deal with. I know this is not what you want to hear but I wanted you to know what your up against.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Gold Sponsor

The easiest course of action is to have the dealership register it in their state then sign the rebuilt title over to you. I would also check into whether the state the dealership is in even allows then to sell a salvage titled bike.

You do not want to go the route of a new frame. It is even worse than trying to accomplish what you need done. The reason i say have the dealership get a registerable title in their state is because i'd be willing to bet the farm that they can't provide the needed documentation required to even get an inspection here in FL.

If they won't play ball and get it handled in their state first then i'm afraid you will have to consider a suit.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all your input...about the dealership registering it, will they need the bike in there possesion again to do that? if they cant do it you thikn i wouyld have a suit on my hands?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemytwin51
thanks for all your input...about the dealership registering it, will they need the bike in there possesion again to do that? if they cant do it you thikn i wouyld have a suit on my hands?

You will need to seek legal counsel as i am not a lawyer, but i'd say there is enough here to warrant a deeper lok into it. The reason for the suit is that the dealer may try to make a couple phone calls to track down some vin numbers and maybe even some receipts, but i doubt they will follow all the way through with everything involved thus leaving you with a worthless bike. If they don't follow through with helping you out chances are 100% they won't care to get a rebulit title from their state. That will leave you with no other alternative but to sue, or kidnap one of his family.

Make no bones about it, this could be a long and frustrating process. The path of least resitance and headache for you is to get a registerable title in another state so you can simply transfer the title once back in FL.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:41 AM

make it a track bike:twocents
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 AM

In Fla even track bikes are scrutinized on a regular basis by LEOs at the track. If you can't produce some form or registry they can and will confiscate the bike. Then you have to prove your claims to ownership to get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarVetRC
make it a track bike:twocents
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Hey, worst case is that you end up with a salvage title. Yeah, it sounds bad but i've owned quite a few salvaged bikes that ran perfect and gave me no trouble. You'll be pissed at first over the whole situation but you'll get over it and you'll learn to love your bike just like most of us on here.

I've never had a problem selling my salvaged titled bikes. They just take a little longer to sell. Sure I didn't get as much as clean title bikes but I always sold my bikes for only a few hundred less than what I would have gotten for a clean title. Just keep all your records and if you ever need to sell the bike, be honest and expain what happened.

Hope everything works out for you but IMHO, dealerships don't give a rats a** about you once you walk through those exit doors.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM

I don't know anything about the process, but I understood there was a company in the northeast that specialized in re-titling vehicles. I had a Honda 929 that was rebuilt at a custom. It was no longer considered a Honda on the title, so there might have been some diminishment in value if this hadn't happened to it.

It was worth a whole lot more in that condition ($75000). I also got a nice little souvenir on my leg too! Don't link to this pic if you don't like gore! http://members.aol.com/pbsch/929/accident/leg0.jpg
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

LBC Rider...thanks for the words, i have aquestion though? were you still able to register your bikes as salvage? hoe would you ride them on the street?

Paul scheid...could you by any chance find the name of the place tat does that retitling work? and what is necessary to register somehting as a custom? and im glad to see you are ok after that, looks rough.

..thanks again guys for all your help.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 PM

unfortunately, I don't have any of that info. I'll ask around and see if I can find it for you.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Gold Sponsor

Trust me this guy does not want an ASPT title from FL. Its just a hard to get that as it is to get the info needed to document a rebuilt salvage.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_scheid
unfortunately, I don't have any of that info. I'll ask around and see if I can find it for you.
You are one lucky guy,now when are you going to post the "duck in a tree"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"03 RC"
and a new litter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:55 PM

unfortunately those pics weren't saved and I deleted my copy. One of the guys I ride with lowsided his duc. Post partum, it tried to right itself, gained too much traction, went airborne and ended up hitting a tree about 6'6" in the air. It was a very dramatic crash. Reports were that the tank ended up about 100' from the rest of the carnage which was strewn over several hundred feet. The frame was broken at the rear motor mount and the whole bike was quite flexy afterwards. The rider, fortunately, was relatively unscathed - sprung his back and knee, but is recovering quickly and shopping for another bike.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Exclamation I Don't Know Boys...Something Seems Fishy To ME!....

I mean WTF You bought it in Aug. and your just getting around to this NOW, Again

As soon as I found out there was a problem with that POS! I'da been Knocking DOWN the Door at the STEALERSHIP and GETTING MY $$$$ BACK!

This is totaly frickin' CRAZY! Why would anybody hold on to this for what 2.5-3 months!!!! I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.....???

Good Luck with whatever you do........???
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK
I mean WTF You bought it in Aug. and your just getting around to this NOW, Again

As soon as I found out there was a problem with that POS! I'da been Knocking DOWN the Door at the STEALERSHIP and GETTING MY $$$$ BACK!

This is totaly frickin' CRAZY! Why would anybody hold on to this for what 2.5-3 months!!!! I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.....???

Good Luck with whatever you do........???
Becuase i did the "knocking down the STEALERSHIPS door and raised hell" and they told me they would work on it and they have been but its talking forever.and the dealershipis over 8 hours away so its not as easy as taking it down the street to get your money back. you buy that?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to thatkindasux
where do you live?
I know in fl its a lot easier to get a title for a bike than any other state. I know the inspection for putting a bike on the road here in my Co. in Fl is: do you have lights, do the brakes work, and a few other practical things to see if its roadworthy. They check the vin # on the horn/frame. I had the biggest problem with the milage, they numbers on the odo were 20,690 and on the title it said 20,690, but the 6 on the title looked kinda like a 9, so they hassled me about that. (which it was a pen error)... Their priorities are def screwed up, no wonder bike theft is so high

If you can NOT get the bike registered, you may be able to pick up a new frame, swap everything then have it registered with the clean/rebuilt title that came with the new frame.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_scheid
unfortunately those pics weren't saved and I deleted my copy. One of the guys I ride with lowsided his duc. Post partum, it tried to right itself, gained too much traction, went airborne and ended up hitting a tree about 6'6" in the air. It was a very dramatic crash. Reports were that the tank ended up about 100' from the rest of the carnage which was strewn over several hundred feet. The frame was broken at the rear motor mount and the whole bike was quite flexy afterwards. The rider, fortunately, was relatively unscathed - sprung his back and knee, but is recovering quickly and shopping for another bike.

Paul, if you think it would fancy your friends taste buds have him look in the Tampa craigs list for RC51's. There is one not so ordinary bike that was posted up today.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wingnutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindasux
where do you live?
I know in fl its a lot easier to get a title for a bike than any other state. I know the inspection for putting a bike on the road here in my Co. in Fl is: do you have lights, do the brakes work, and a few other practical things to see if its roadworthy. They check the vin # on the horn/frame. I had the biggest problem with the milage, they numbers on the odo were 20,690 and on the title it said 20,690, but the 6 on the title looked kinda like a 9, so they hassled me about that. (which it was a pen error)... Their priorities are def screwed up, no wonder bike theft is so high

If you can NOT get the bike registered, you may be able to pick up a new frame, swap everything then have it registered with the clean/rebuilt title that came with the new frame.
God this is reminding me of my canadian ysr 80. Frame swapped and still needed a dot insp.

If I remember right the engine # and frame had to match

Her is my:twocents It all boils down to who you deal with @ the title place. I rode my Brand new 1986 tt600 without one after the dealer said the could get one for it All I had was a plate tags and insurance / the title was paid for but never D.O.T. inspected or issued.

"03 RC"
and a new litter

I should REALLY wear a condum
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindasux
where do you live?

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. A blank frame doesn't come with anything, but a receipt from the dealership. It has no bearing on the title to the vin of said bike. The problem is the bike was issued a salvage title. Hopefully its a salvage rebuildable. If not, he's screwed.
Anyway, to get a salvage titled vehicle on the road one has to have in inspected before a rebuilt title will be issued. Once one has a rebuilt title then that title can be registered for road use. A salvage can not. There is a big long drawn out process for getting the title changed to something that can be registered for road use. Some state this is a very simple process, but FL its more than a headache.
This process is not the same thing as someone takeing a registered clean titled vehicle down to the local DMV office and applying for a new title. Those vehicles are already deemed road worthy by another state therefore that is good enough for the FL DMV. The problem is you can't bring a title to the FLDMV to register the vehicle for road use if there is a blemish on it. The blemish can be salvage, slavage rebuilable, export only, COD(certificate of destruction). Any vehicle that has one of these marks on their title they are SOL. The only acception is a salvage rebuildable which will bring up the whole documented rebuild and state inspection process that again is a headache for someone that does not do this for a living. They are very particular about the process and are extremely unhelpful a-holes.
FYI, any vehicle that has ever been issued a slavage title in the state of FL can never come back into the state with a clean title. FL started data mining this kind of info years ago. Unless you have someone on the inside that will bypass the computer check, you will be issued a rebuilt title upon reregistering the vehicle in FL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode