I'm afraid to ride my bike now! - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I'm afraid to ride my bike now!

Well anywho... A week or so ago I was out riding and I stopped by Fry's (an amazing store). When I got out before hopping on my bike I did my brief preride inspection. Guess what? my friggen exhaust bracket is entirely missing!

I guess maybe I didn't tighten the bolt enough on the bracket when I installed the exhaust but that was a couple months ago when I installed it so maybe I needed a locking nut or something?

I rode home with no exhaust bracket and then to work the next day. I was so worried that my exhaust was going to just fall off, the rivits that hold the wrap part were all that were supporting the weight of the exhaust. The rivits almost worked their way all the way to the edge of the outer shell part.

Anyway, I ended up having a new bracket made with one of those metal bands used for shipping large boxes. It seems to be holding just fine now, and doesn't actually look that bad so I'll probably leave it for now

Well, today I was riding home from my friends house and within a couple of blocks I felt something smack me in the back, so I looked in my mirror to see my trunk lid tumbling down the road behind me.

So a made a nice illigal U turn right where I was and sped back to where my lid was. Luckily there was a divided medium type thing where I could stop to retrieve my trunk lid. Also lucky there were no base police around because I would have gotten a ticket for sure.

Well, it didn't just pop off, the entire mounting bracket thing had fallen apart. So I grabbed the lid and just rode back to my friend's house to figure out if I still had all the pieces to put it back together.

Well, I was able to reasmble it and it works now, but I can't quite figure out why that came lose. I've never actually touched the bold that holds that together. The exhaust I'll blame on myself... But my freakin bike's falling apart!

What's next?

Maybe I should just safety wire my whole bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 PM

Vibration... she is a bietch! Locktite... she is my friend!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Anger managment patient

The lid is a common thing. Just use one of those lanyards for your ID and loop it around the sub frame. Slip the other end under the lids frame and around one of the screws. Its a twin so things are going to shake off. So you really need to atleast once a season check every bolt and re-loctite the panel bolts.
If you ever do a trackday I suggest checking it at lunch and the day after. Just like every other race bike.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Rev
HRC

+1 for the loctite.. that's how my cowl flew off, but I recovered it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Currently: Moderating

Almost every thread on this board ends in "locktite is your friend"! Guess u thought they were lying. You're having common problems that are easily addressed by keeping in mind the amt of vibration the bike produces when you're working on it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I thought the cowl lid thing was usually where it just popped off and you could still put it back on? My whole latching assembly fell apart!

I can't seem to find my ID at the moment either, I think I left it at work but not sure where
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 02:55 AM

You might want to check the hose clamps on the radiator hoses,they come loose also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />04 RC51,Sato rearsets,Sato lows,Sato Ti hangers,Scotts Damper,Flapper,PCIIIUSB & Hub & LCD,K&N,15/42,Goodridge,CRG,SCORE= Deer-O,RC51-2,R1-1
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:02 AM
Meat Head

Send a message via AIM to JDRC
Thumbs down

My RC seems to be as smooth as silk compared to the 2000 Buell I just unloaded . Harley Davidson- Buell should buy loctite!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:07 AM

if you ARE going to loctite your bike, make sure you don't use the red stuff... especially on those 5mm allen bolts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:37 AM

ive been using my chicks finger nail polish as lock-tite for simple things, i should get the real thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode