Benefits of Clip-Ons and Rear Sets?? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Rising Member

Question Benefits of Clip-Ons and Rear Sets??

What are the benefits of clip-ons and rear sets for street riding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 AM

Adjustability!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RedRider
For street riding I would just cut the tabs off the stock clipons and rotate them out a bit so the grips aren't so tucked in. For casual street use and even some spirited riding thats all I'd do. Also the aftermarket clipons have no bar end weights and vibrate more.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:54 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Exclamation Strange Thing...That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the humungus
Also the aftermarket clipons have no bar end weights and vibrate more.

I took off my bar-end weights, just to test that.....I have to say, the strange thing is, my M/C seems SMOOTHER! ......Anyhow, guess what I did, I left them OFF!

Peace Jeff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Canadian Ahrrsee Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RedRider
The biggest benefits I found with rearsets (Sato's) for street riding are the adjustability, and also the improved shifting. The rearsets have taken all of the 'slop and free-play' out of the stock shift mechanism. I'm now on the best shifting Honda that I've ever ridden!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 PM
RC51-less Member

Rearsets: Aftermarket rearsets are not only adjustable, but have better, and replacable parts in the event of a crash. The adjustability is a benefit, as most allow 1" up and 1" back, benefiting taller riders like myself.

Stock foot pegs, generally suck grip-wise, when compared to aftermarket parts. My Vortex pags grip 10x better than the stock ones. Also, their pegs are solid mount, not folding. Helps keep the side of the bike off the ground in a crash, as well.

Clip-ons: Aftermarket clip-ons are good for numerous reasons. They're lighter and in the event of a crash, their "tubes" (where you grab and controls go) are replacable, unlike stock units. They're adjustable as well, since some guys like a higher grip, or might want somthing wider for better control, and less tucked into the bike. If you use them on the street, vibration can be an issue. You can get aftermarket bar-ends for weight, or you can put your own weight in them. I added weight to another aftermarket set, and secured it with silocone. No more vibration than stock.

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Anger managment patient

As for the rear sets I personally can't stand stock pegs. One thing is they fold up everytime I twist my foot when setting up for corners. That makes for a feeling of instability. Clip-ons can reduce the wrist cramps.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 02:42 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Thumbs up Hey Rigor!.....?......

Hey Dave, You wouldn't by any chance, have that part # handy, for the stock-peg replacement for that peg you replaced it with would you?

I can't charge/afford, them there cheappy Sato rear-sets

Thanks

Peace Jeff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK
Hey Dave, You wouldn't by any chance, have that part # handy, for the stock-peg replacement for that peg you replaced it with would you?

I can't charge/afford, them there cheappy Sato rear-sets

Thanks

Peace Jeff
You mean the stock rearsets I modified??

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Thumbs up That's Different From......

What I've seen?........But yeah, Details baby, it's all in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor
You mean the stock rearsets I modified??

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
RC51-less Member

Those are stock rearsets, with the peg mounts ground off. I used Lockhart-Phillips replacement pegs, (2 piece) drilled out the mounting stubs, drilled straight through them, added a 1" aluminum spacer, and used a grade 5 bolt to mount them through the rearset.

In the back, where the bolt goes through, I welded a washer on the rear (bolt head) to spread force over a larger portion of the rear of the rearsets.

Everything in the front that got ground was clearcoated and the rear was painted matching silver just for appearence.

Because of the stock casting, the pef mounting can only be raised about 1/2" from stock. If a piece were added to the stock rearsets, (up and rearward) it would work. I was just messing with some parts I already had in the garage......

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Thumbs up Awesome........Thanks For The Details,....Dave!

You know, it's all in the details!........Thanks again, alittle more involved than what I was hoping for. I've never looked at it, I was thinkingit was just a swap job .....Maybe over the winter, that is, if I ever stop riding this thing! Long enough...

Peace Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor
Those are stock rearsets, with the peg mounts ground off. I used Lockhart-Phillips replacement pegs, (2 piece) drilled out the mounting stubs, drilled straight through them, added a 1" aluminum spacer, and used a grade 5 bolt to mount them through the rearset.

In the back, where the bolt goes through, I welded a washer on the rear (bolt head) to spread force over a larger portion of the rear of the rearsets.

Everything in the front that got ground was clearcoated and the rear was painted matching silver just for appearence.

Because of the stock casting, the pef mounting can only be raised about 1/2" from stock. If a piece were added to the stock rearsets, (up and rearward) it would work. I was just messing with some parts I already had in the garage......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode