Motor won't start - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Motor won't start

For some reason i can't pull up the old articles about this problem.

Mine sat for three weeks after a light low side and now after starting and running for a few seconds... it won't start at all. It started right up and ran a little then started to quit until i hit the choke then came back to life for a second or two then died. It will crank and crank but no life. it's an 03 with 1900 miles on it. I put new plugs in and still no life. BUT.. One cylinder cranked a couple times but wouldn't keep going. could it be my coils packs? the front when i held it in my hand didn't shock me hardly at all? It should hit me pretty hard... I'm sure it's something easy...

i unpluged the pcIIIr and didn't start.

tilt sensor is working fine...

when cranking shouldn't i smell gas on the plugs? if i pull it out and sniff it?? i can't hardly smell any on them...

Needing help.. anyone got any ideas??
like i said i tried to pull up the old posts about this but for some reason i'm not putting in the key word for search.

Last edited by danniedavis; 08-20-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 AM

Your fuel pump does cycle when you turn on the key, the motor cranks, but it will not fire up. (Is that right)?

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 AM
RC51-less Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovenater
Your fuel pump does cycle when you turn on the key, the motor cranks, but it will not fire up. (Is that right)?
cough*gas*cough........

Oh.....It's on, Biotch.............

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

yes.. everything sounds normal just no vroom vrooom

i'm going to check the injectors tuesday

but shouldn't the front coil spark pretty hard? just like the back LOL didn't take long to know the back one worked. it sputtered some today but not enought keep running.... and shouldn't you smell strong gas smell on the plugs after some cranking ????????

weird stuff
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 AM

Don't get side tracked, start simple. Syphon out ALL the gas and look for water first, sucking in water or sludge from the bottom of the tank is pretty common after the bike is on it's side. If you don't find water, put in some fresh fuel.

If you find water; put in a bit of fresh fuel, prop the tank, disconnect the fuel return line, and cycle the pump a few times. That will push crap out of the pump, verify the pump is working, and alleviate one possibility.

Hook the fuel return line back up, remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator, cycle the pump and verify that you don't have a stream of fuel running out the vacuum port on the regulator (bad diaphragm in the regulator).
Keep us updated, good luck.

Yes it could be a bad spark plug, plug wire, coil, ECM, converter, broken upper cam, injectors, etc... but you have to start somewhere.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

Last edited by Hoovenater; 08-21-2006 at 02:46 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to do all that on tuesday or at least start..... but..... wouldn't the coil shock the piss out of just holding the plug in the plug wire up in the air and turning it over??? front coil seems super weak.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:43 AM

That's not really the way to check it. Put the tip of the spark plug near the motor or frame, hit the starter and look for spark (it's still not the right way, but it should tell you more than the air test).

My bike has all it's street cowls on it. I don't feel like tearing it apart to see if the front plug shocks the shit out of me (sorry).

See if you can swap things between the cylinders to troubleshoot;
swap plugs, test.
swap plug wires, test.
swap coils, test.
(I don't know if the coils and plug wires can be physically swapped, they may be different lengths, etc., you will just have to check).

I'd still start with fuel, but yes you could be chasing weak spark.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

Last edited by Hoovenater; 08-21-2006 at 02:55 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:50 AM
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniedavis
....wouldn't the coil shock the piss out of just holding the plug in the plug wire up in the air and turning it over??? front coil seems super weak.
Not unless you were also holding onto a good chassis ground.
If you want a good kick in the a$$, then just stick a long screw in the plug cap, hold the screw in one hand, hold onto a good chassis ground with the other, and have someone hit the starter.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

lol well i held the rear plug wire and turned it over and it didn't take long at all to figure out i didn't want to hold it.. lol just testing it... the front one didn't do much at all.. i could just hold it and crank it
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:01 AM

I've edited my above posts, re-read please.

Hold the plug against the frame, you are looking for spark across the plug gap, but it helps to complete the circuit to ground.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

i'll try that if i can but i just put in new plugs and when i crank it i'm not smelling much fuel at all on the plug after i pull it out.... i'm going to start with an empty tank work the fuel problem and coil probs at same time..

thanks for the info... will keep updated.. it's got to be something silly cause the bikes only got 1900 miles on it.. practically new
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

well dam i need shop manual.... i have another pump that i know works... maybe i should just put that in and try it?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM

You don't need a new pump. You hear it cycle when the key turns on, so it's getting power, now we just need to verify that it does pump.
Prop up the tank, follow the short hose from the back of the fuel rail to the tank. Remove that hose from the tank, put it in a glass. Cycle the key and the fuel pump should pump fuel into that glass. This should also clear out water and shit if it is in the tank.

Try some of this troubleshooting before you run out and buy new parts.

If your symptoms are different (example, pump makes no noise), then we need to know that so we can help you find the problem (I would have you checking different things).

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:
lol well i held the rear plug wire and turned it over and it didn't take long at all to figure out i didn't want to hold it.. lol just testing it... the front one didn't do much at all.. i could just hold it and crank it
Seems to me this here says it,Is the front plug fouled?I would start there.

" border="0" />04 RC51,Sato rearsets,Sato lows,Sato Ti hangers,Scotts Damper,Flapper,PCIIIUSB & Hub & LCD,K&N,15/42,Goodridge,CRG,SCORE= Deer-O,RC51-2,R1-1
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to try the fuel problem tonight... thanks for the info...

the plugs are new... i'm sure it's either a fuel problem or spark problem...

i'll update tonight after i try it.......

thanks for all the input
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
I'm going to try the fuel problem tonight... thanks for the info...

the plugs are new... i'm sure it's either a fuel problem or spark problem...

i'll update tonight after i try it.......

thanks for all the input

Hope you get this figured out mang. BTW, did you get my email last night, or the day before?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

well well as if i opened the tank and poured in the water............... it had massive amounts of water in the tank...... after clearing that out it runs like a top......... now just have to figure out where all that water came from...

thanks for everyones help on this.....
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
well well as if i opened the tank and poured in the water............... it had massive amounts of water in the tank...... after clearing that out it runs like a top......... now just have to figure out where all that water came from...

thanks for everyones help on this.....

Do you have a vortex cap on the bike? If not then you might want to check the OEM seal on the original gas cap. Seems like you got caught in the rain, or it bike was left in a sun shower while you were doing something, and it seeped in. Only other thing i can think of is if the bike sits outside over night with wild temp fluctuations causeing condensation in the tank...but that's a long shot.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 AM

I guess Rigor and I were spot on then.

If you have a Vortex or Marchesini spin on type cap there should be an O-ring on the cap. Check it, add some grease if it's still there. I don't remember if there is a ring under the base, I may have re-used the stock seal but it was too long ago to remember.

If you have the stock cap then check both seals.

Hoov.
CRA # 200
Thankfully sponsored by;

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

yeah i guess the RC don't like the 50/50 gas to water ratio i was using...

still haven't figured out how THAT much water got in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode