My RC51 gave in - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Old,Dirty,Racer

Angry My RC51 gave in

First, big thanks to Tanner and his crew for giving me undivided help in fixing my RC51 at the Summit Point today. They really put in some sweat to help me.
Thanks again big guy..

After the first session at Summit Point Main today, my RC started sounding funny. I came in, and found out my header pipe had seperated! For sure I thought that was the end of the day. Tanner came over and offered his help, I said it looked hopeless. His exact words were "at least let me try".. After sweating over it for a half hour, Tanner got it rigged so I could at least try to another session. Well, it worked and I almost crashed in Turn 1. Not because of the pipe, but because I had out braked every dam body in sight, and because of my increased speed, some kind of way, I go frozen looking straight ahead. No need to tell where that put me.. Anyway, I saved it and didn't run off.

Next session, I was more smoother and faster..I think I got two more sessions in after lunch, and then the bracket gave way, and that ended my day. I had a ball. Couldn't get mad at my RC51, after all, it has 47,400 miles on the clock. Something is bound to break with that kind of mileage. Well, somebody at the track, that knew me, told me he had a header pipe home and will have his brother bring it to the track tommorrow.. Cool

Today was my first day in "I" too. Nesba gave me a half day credit, which I think was very, very nice of them.

I saw Superbike2001(Todd), and he is getting race plastic on the bike, and will be joining Coleman in his assault to rape all racetracks...

ceh
2006 CBR600rr Track/Race-Bike
CCS/WERA/NESBA #630
Dragon Rider
65 & Over Racing Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team SCR - Senior Citizen Racing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 02:37 AM

Sorry to hear about the bike Coleman.....First day in I.....ahhhhhh I have to wait a few more months for that.....Hopefully will be back in Sept. I really should be there tomorrow but the better half said NO F-in way.....she is jealous of the track.....thats got to be the reason she wont let me do it every other weekend!

Track - 2003 Honda 600rr
Dirt - 2005 CRF 450
2005 CRF 50 - "for the kids"
NESBA #77
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 03:54 AM
Anger managment patient

Atleast its only a minor thing. You'll be running solid in no time. What bracket broke? I need to get down to Summit to give ya someone to run from.

Last edited by EvilTwin-05; 06-17-2006 at 04:09 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Old,Dirty,Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1literduceater
Sorry to hear about the bike Coleman.....First day in I.....ahhhhhh I have to wait a few more months for that.....Hopefully will be back in Sept. I really should be there tomorrow but the better half said NO F-in way.....she is jealous of the track.....thats got to be the reason she wont let me do it every other weekend!
Your wife got every reason to be jealous of the track, every reason! I guess it is good you don't get out there too much. The track in every sense of the word can be a mighty foe for wives .

And Troy another thing I found out, that track thing must fed.You had it going super good at Barber. All you needed was to feed yourself a couple more trackdays to build on what you did at Barber. No doubt, you be in Advance class by now.

Anyway, the RC51 will be getting fixed this week, and BTW, I will be returning your shock in a few weeks. The suspension is getting tweak on the RC51. One my good highlights of yesterday was, one racer told me I looked real good coming through turn 10. When I told him I was on stock suspension, he couldn't believe it!

The header pipe about 4 to 5 inches from the engine seperated. Tanner put an exhaust clamp on it, and that held for 3 sessions.. After that the clamp was toast. I was bangin harder than I ever banged on the track and asking the RC51 for everything she had. The old girl is getting old.

ceh
CCS/WERA/NESBA #630
Dragon Rider
65 & Over Racing Team

Last edited by cehowardrc51; 06-17-2006 at 10:54 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Here I am thinking it was something much worst Howard

Just slap on new clutch and let me tell you I can't tell the clutch is worn at all..sure the pressure plate is discolored and blue here and there but the clutch plate itself was amazing to the human eye.

Slap on a new water pump also and she is running like a top again.

Trackday next sunday for me so you ride safe.

Tai

Don't worry your dogs/cats too are safe ...FOR NOW
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Old,Dirty,Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stripes
Here I am thinking it was something much worst Howard

Just slap on new clutch and let me tell you I can't tell the clutch is worn at all..sure the pressure plate is discolored and blue here and there but the clutch plate itself was amazing to the human eye.

Slap on a new water pump also and she is running like a top again.

Trackday next sunday for me so you ride safe.

Tai
Tai, just the header pipe seperated. A rider is bringing me one today at Summit. Maybe I should be doing a some replacing parts on the old girl, such as clutch and other things. She has about 25 trackdays under her belt, along with many, many canyon rides, and still going strong. But, parts are wearing out.

Have fun on your trackday..

ceh
CCS/WERA/NESBA #630
Dragon Rider
65 & Over Racing Team

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 02:11 PM

From the title I thought it was something a lot worse. Glad that you got it rigged enouph to keep riding, and parts on the way to fix. Sounds like she is doing just fine for as much as you ride her! Honda rules!

scott

03 RC51
04 400ex

Mid-Ohio
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 PM

You , of all people , KNOW what it means and feels like to get old...

Show the old girl some love and fix-er-up...then ride her with the dignity she's earned...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Old,Dirty,Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer
You , of all people , KNOW what it means and feels like to get old...

Show the old girl some love and fix-er-up...then ride her with the dignity she's earned...
Cool man... It felt good coming down the straight and out braking all the youngsters!! But, after I out braked everybody, didn't whether to chit or go blind!! I chitted!

Be safe over there you old fart...

ceh
CCS/WERA/NESBA #630
Dragon Rider
65 & Over Racing Team

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 12:21 PM

Hey Coleman, glad I could help.

Basically there is a stock weld on the rear section of the downpipe header. This weld broke the header in two parts. I joined the header the best I could with a spare worm/hose clamp. I wanted to wrap it with tape and then sinch the clamp over top of it but we didn't have any heat tape. So I juist lined up the broken pipes and sinched the clamp around it.

I am pretty sure that made Coleman happy, because it sucks missing out on a perfect day at Summit Main.

I had a great two days at Summit, and Coleman, my buddy Kendrick got the bump to I group yesterday on Summit JC course. I almost got the bump according to a few of the CR's, but I wasn't consistent enough around JC. This was due to my quads giving out, and I started blowing some of the turns wide.

I ended up buying the picture CD b/c I was railing on Summit Main, and on JC. I noticed that I am using a lot more of the front tire now and trusting it more and more.

As always, Coleman if you need anything, just give me a shout.

Todd thanks for your help changing my buddies tires, and I hope the beer was payment enough.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Old,Dirty,Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockem45
Hey Coleman, glad I could help.

Basically there is a stock weld on the rear section of the downpipe header. This weld broke the header in two parts. I joined the header the best I could with a spare worm/hose clamp. I wanted to wrap it with tape and then sinch the clamp over top of it but we didn't have any heat tape. So I juist lined up the broken pipes and sinched the clamp around it.

I am pretty sure that made Coleman happy, because it sucks missing out on a perfect day at Summit Main.

I had a great two days at Summit, and Coleman, my buddy Kendrick got the bump to I group yesterday on Summit JC course. I almost got the bump according to a few of the CR's, but I wasn't consistent enough around JC. This was due to my quads giving out, and I started blowing some of the turns wide.

I ended up buying the picture CD b/c I was railing on Summit Main, and on JC. I noticed that I am using a lot more of the front tire now and trusting it more and more.

As always, Coleman if you need anything, just give me a shout.

Todd thanks for your help changing my buddies tires, and I hope the beer was payment enough.
Ahhh sheesh, Kendrick is going to chase me down in "I" now!!
Give Kendrick the big congrat from me, they should have bumped him that day on Main..
Anyway, pipe is fixed. Brian, who was racing a RC51 on Sat and Sun, brought me the complete header pipe. Kenny put it on the other day.. Right now, the forks and the shock are getting revalved and resprung. Should be ready for race practice on June 30.. I think your crew is going to be there too.

Plus, I am going to look funny, with my RC51 loaded in the bed of my truck. Buyer is getting my trailer today.. My new trailer won't be here for another 2 weeks. The graphics man can't wait to throw my "over sixty" chit on it!!

Life is dam sweet..

ceh
CCS/WERA/NESBA #630
Dragon Rider
65 & Over Racing Team

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode