Elka Shock Input Needed - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Elka Shock Input Needed

I know Scott likes his Elka shock and I'm interested in hearing from other members on this forum who have put some miles on the Elka. I was considering a Sato exhaust, but I'm leaning more toward improving the handling first. My Duc came with an Ohlins and it works great, but I know they're a bit pricier and I'd like to get the most bang for my buck on the SP2.

Are there any installation or service issues I should be aware of before taking the plunge? I'll be installing it myself. My stocker has 17k and seems to work ok, but it is probably more tired than I can notice. So I'm ready to move up. I ride both street and track.

How does the Elka compare on quality and adjustability to other shocks you guys have run?

Thanks for the feedback

Flapper mod, PCIII USB, 15/41, speedohealer, Sato rearsets, coming soon soft rev limiter mod and Galfer SS lines. (most of these mods bought from Scott!)

Last edited by WaltST4s; 06-03-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 05:18 PM

What's up Walt???

Just wondering what kind of a price Scott is getting for you? Are you going to do the link at the same time? Did you get your black stuff on order yet?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Gold Sponsor

I can't list the price I'm selling them at but they guarantee your satisfaction or they will rebuild it for free and there quick. I have sold close to 30 of these shocks now and I also have run one for over a year with no problems from anyone yet that I have heard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 PM

I have an Elka tripple adj. on my SP2. I used Penske on my 600's, and an Ohlins came with my 996, but gave this shock a try due to the great deal ($500 new, SHIPPED - but the dealer thought it was a double adj.). Anyway, GMD helped me set it up and it works great. I was a little concerned as both Mike (Thermosman Susp.) & Max (Traxxion Dyn.) said that they have a "narrow" window of adj., but it appears mine got in there with no problem. I did have to take it back out to get the adjuster to turn for the first time, so I recommend doing that first, before you install it (just to loosen it up). The adjuster rod they supply with it is short & the tip that inserts into the shock will bend under hard pressure (again, spin the pre-load adj. some before you install to prevent this pot. issue). I'd happily buy another one based on my experinece with this one. :twocents

Now, if i could get my forks working better.....

Oh, I mounted my res. on the underside of the inner fender on the tip-over switch side. I moved my tip-over switch to the other side of that flap that hangs down to make room for it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA 31
I have an Elka tripple adj. on my SP2. I used Penske on my 600's, and an Ohlins came with my 996, but gave this shock a try due to the great deal ($500 new, SHIPPED - but the dealer thought it was a double adj.). Anyway, GMD helped me set it up and it works great. I was a little concerned as both Mike (Thermosman Susp.) & Max (Traxxion Dyn.) said that they have a "narrow" window of adj., but it appears mine got in there with no problem. I did have to take it back out to get the adjuster to turn for the first time, so I recommend doing that first, before you install it (just to loosen it up). The adjuster rod they supply with it is short & the tip that inserts into the shock will bend under hard pressure (again, spin the pre-load adj. some before you install to prevent this pot. issue). I'd happily buy another one based on my experinece with this one. :twocents

Now, if i could get my forks working better.....

Oh, I mounted my res. on the underside of the inner fender on the tip-over switch side. I moved my tip-over switch to the other side of that flap that hangs down to make room for it.
Nick,
I have to honor Scott's policy on pricing, but just let me say that he has always given me a fair price on everything including Sato rearsets, Galfer lines, Speedohealer, etc...

Hey Wera,
Thanks for the input and the tip about the adjuster....maybe put a little anti seize compound on the threads before installing it...I had to do that on the ride height adjuster on my Duc...

Re the reservoir mounting,,,isn't it already mounted to the top of the shock?
Or are you referring to the hydraulic preload adjuster?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Gold Sponsor

The ELKA has a locking set screw in two of the holes to keep the spring preload set since the shock comes with a bearing shim stack and if you don't lossen the set screws you will have a hard time adjusting the spring preload.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:37 PM

No, the res. was not made on to the shock body. And, I learned the hard way not to have the res. hose run over the chain (not even when there appears to be more than enough clearance for susp. to move)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Clone

Dan Kyle told me he does not care for the Elka product.

He swears by the ohlins stuff but who really knows.

I would trust Scott's opinion because he sells them and trust me he would hear it if someone were dissapointed with their stuff.

But I wonder if any one has run them side by side.

That would be the real test.

Champions Honda Kawasaki

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Gold Sponsor

One of my bikes has Ohlins and one has Elka both are nice shocks but the Ohlins is an off the shelf shock imported by Parts unlimited and they are not custom built unless you pay $150-$250 extra to get custom valving and setup. So for plug and play Elka smokes the Ohlins since it cost less, is custom built for me and takes less then 2 weeks to show up at my door from the time I order it.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 PM
'51 Freak

I have researched shocks pretty extensively (to me) and the ELKA is a GREAT DEAL!
Lets face it..YES the OHLINS is better... who gives a sh*t! for the price and performance this is a great shock. vitually anything is better than stock let alone a 3-way adjustable anything... sounds like WaltST4s is like most of us trying to upgrade bit by bit and using his $$ as wisely as possible. (BTW the stock fork revalve-re-spring is also FANTASTIC bang for the buck)

There will be naysayers but that's with any product, Scott is obviously endorsing the product by running it and with the *cough cough* subtle feedback on this forum , if they were crap, you would know.:twocents

"Fear is your only god!"-R.A.T.M.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 AM

Hey Walt,

I ordered my Elka 3-way a little while ago (I think the beginning of last week) from Scott, so if you want to wait until I get mine? It's a piece of cake to install and I'd be more than willing to help if you need it. I live on the west side Potranco/1604 just inside the loop.
Lee

11 1198
11 S1000RR
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Gold Sponsor

Check out what shocks they run on the California Super bike Schools bikes.

http://www.superbikeschool.com/sponsors/

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat44
Hey Walt,

I ordered my Elka 3-way a little while ago (I think the beginning of last week) from Scott, so if you want to wait until I get mine? It's a piece of cake to install and I'd be more than willing to help if you need it. I live on the west side Potranco/1604 just inside the loop.
Lee
Thanks Lee, I appreciate it!
I'll be interested to hear your opinion after the install and a run or two out to Leakey...
Hey did we meet at the Exxon one Sunday morning a while back? You were with the TSBA guys...I had my Duc ST4s that day...

Walt
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 03:28 AM

That was me but I wasn't with the TSBA guys!! Just a pretty quick group of locals that like to wait for me

11 1198
11 S1000RR
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That was me but I wasn't with the TSBA guys!! Just a pretty quick group of locals that like to wait for me
Lee,
When you are ready to install your new shock, let me know and I'd be happy to observe/assist.
Walt
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Hey Walt,

Lee
Are you replacing the link also?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 06:12 PM

I've got the Kyle link already on the bike

11 1198
11 S1000RR
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:48 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Talking Thanks!

Hey WaltST4s!

I just wanted to say thanks for this post/question, because after reading all the replies and about the shock and everything else, this has made me change my mind, as I was going to buy Ohlins, but for the price, custom made for me, and some other things, I have decided to go for this shock too! As long as adding the remote Hydra. adjuster doesn't add to much more to the price? That Scott qouted to me for the Elka, I am going to have to ask Scott what that price would be or if that price was for the one I am interested in? Then if the price is still good as compared to the Ohlins? Then there is a BIG chance that I'm going for it too!
Thanks peace Jeff

PS.When you get yours from Scott and after you have takein' acouple test rides, lets us know what you think too!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltST4s
I know Scott likes his Elka shock and I'm interested in hearing from other members on this forum who have put some miles on the Elka. I was considering a Sato exhaust, but I'm leaning more toward improving the handling first. My Duc came with an Ohlins and it works great, but I know they're a bit pricier and I'd like to get the most bang for my buck on the SP2.

Are there any installation or service issues I should be aware of before taking the plunge? I'll be installing it myself. My stocker has 17k and seems to work ok, but it is probably more tired than I can notice. So I'm ready to move up. I ride both street and track.

How does the Elka compare on quality and adjustability to other shocks you guys have run?

Thanks for the feedback

Flapper mod, PCIII USB, 15/41, speedohealer, Sato rearsets, coming soon soft rev limiter mod and Galfer SS lines. (most of these mods bought from Scott!)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Scott,
Can you clear us up on whether your Elka price quotes include a remote hydraulic preload adjuster?

Jeff,
I'm also glad to have raised the question......

Bigcat, when you get yours installed would you post a few lines on your impressions?

Thanks to all who have responded to this post...

Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTMAVERICK
Hey WaltST4s!

I just wanted to say thanks for this post/question, because after reading all the replies and about the shock and everything else, this has made me change my mind, as I was going to buy Ohlins, but for the price, custom made for me, and some other things, I have decided to go for this shock too! As long as adding the remote Hydra. adjuster doesn't add to much more to the price? That Scott qouted to me for the Elka, I am going to have to ask Scott what that price would be or if that price was for the one I am interested in? Then if the price is still good as compared to the Ohlins? Then there is a BIG chance that I'm going for it too!
Thanks peace Jeff

PS.When you get yours from Scott and after you have takein' acouple test rides, lets us know what you think too!??
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Gold Sponsor

I will call and ask about the preload adjuster, but it's not really needed because of the bearing shim stack it is very easy to adjust with just 2 fingers but if they do offer it I would give that at my cost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode