Broken Crankcase??? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Broken Crankcase???

I was taking off my crankcase cover to replace it after I laid my bike down , and noticed THIS:

Um... I'm not too mechachanically inclined, but I have a feeling this is a bad thing. it's where the coolant goes from the crankcase to the crankcase cover. can I weld the pieces back? I can't afford to get a new crankcase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:51 PM

I just had my cases apart and can vouch that you do indeed have a broken portion of your lower crankcase. I have seen JB weld work wonders for coolant leaks and holding insignificant pieces of metal together so I say give that a shot. You are right, you can't afford to replace the crankcase, it would be cheaper to buy a motor off of ebay when it is all said and done.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:14 AM

Your best bet is to take the bike to a machine shop and let them advise you on a repair. The case may or may not be weldable and it will require close tollerance drilling to get the O ring to seal properly. If the problem did not involve the O ring, you might give the JB weld a try but in this case,( no pun intended!) I would advise against it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I was freaking out last night when I saw that and thinking the worst. I'll take it in and see what the shop says, but holpfully its not going to take much work.
Maybe i can do it myself with some jb weld and some gasket sealant, depends on what their verdict is... I just really want to get riding again as soon as possible now that all my parts are here and begging me to put them on.

I'm glad this forum is here. its nice to have rc51 guys sharing knowledge with each other - and giving each other shit... always entertaining, especially at work.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:08 AM
rc racer D.O.G. Ind

that can be repaired

that can be repaired and welded its cast aluminuim and your looking around 250.oo to fix the pieces would help do you still have them
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:18 AM

That's it, screw the med school fantasy, welding appears to be where the green is. 250 bucks OMFGod!!!! I know aluminum is one of the trickier metals to weld, but damn that is an awful lot of money for a small fix like that. But still cheaper than a motor off of ebay
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Gold Sponsor

That's repairable and not too difficult for someone , who can weld Aluminum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilla11 View Post
Thank you for good communication.
Translation: Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51racer View Post
That's it, screw the med school fantasy, welding appears to be where the green is. 250 bucks OMFGod!!!! I know aluminum is one of the trickier metals to weld, but damn that is an awful lot of money for a small fix like that. But still cheaper than a motor off of ebay
I can top that. My diesel pickup needs new fuel injectors. The dealership estimates $5,000!
I can buy an injector replacement kit online for $350 to $800.
I think I'll do it the myself.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe View Post
I can top that. My diesel pickup needs new fuel injectors. The dealership estimates $5,000!
I can buy an injector replacement kit online for $350 to $800.
I think I'll do it the myself.
Sounds like an lb7 duramax. I just did mine. If it is you also have to replace the fuel lines that screw into the injector and fuel rail. Also changing the injector cups is not a bad idea. You can get your injectors checked and repaired for less.

Anyway I had a bike split a case where the oil banjo screws in. Had it welded and machined flat again cost around 150$ total.

2003 Honda RC51
1988 Yamaha FZR1000
1974 Yamaha RD350
13 Yamaha Yz450f
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:58 PM
calculating status...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilla11 View Post
Thank you for good communication.

Ten years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode