normal operating temperature?? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

normal operating temperature??

Hi Guys,
I was commuting to/from DC this week and the RC was hitting an indicated 233 on the temp gauage. When I got into open roads it really did not go down that much. Is this normal operating temperature? I searched but could not find anuything. Its a new to me leftover 05 that got a few weeks ago. Only mods are Low satos with a PCIII and Kyle map. I had a ZX-10 before that and a Aprilia before that....The 10 was just physically too small and the priller was just too unreliable.
I like the RC alot. I don't miss the extra 30 peak HP the 10 had and I don't miss having to always pump the air out of the prilller clutch. I don't know why the RC gets such a bad rap these days.....
Anyhow, About that temperature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Anger managment patient

It will run cooler after break in. Welcome to why not many commute on it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:21 AM

Was the coolant flushed recently? You might have a air bubble in the system and it will need to be burped. Ive been in NYC traffic in the mid summer with air temps in the 90s and have not got it above 220-225.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:53 AM

I've seen 230deg. on mine, temps. above 90degs.It takes sometime for the RC to cool down,Stay in clean air-dont follow to close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />04 RC51,Sato rearsets,Sato lows,Sato Ti hangers,Scotts Damper,Flapper,PCIIIUSB & Hub & LCD,K&N,15/42,Goodridge,CRG,SCORE= Deer-O,RC51-2,R1-1
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 01:49 PM

It sounds to me like it might need to be burped.... and topped off.... sometimes the set up guys at dealerships don't service the rad correctly so I would check that first.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRC51
Hi Guys,
I was commuting to/from DC this week and the RC was hitting an indicated 233 on the temp gauage. When I got into open roads it really did not go down that much. Is this normal operating temperature?
The reason the temperature does not go down onced you hit the open road is because by then the cooling fans are running and as you may have noticed the fans flow air from outside to inside. This is fine at low speed but at higher speeds you don't get much flow because of air wanting to flow from inside out... think about it.
What some have done is removing one of the cooling fans. Before my RC became track only I had both fans configure to flow air from inside to outside. It made a significant difference at lowering the temperature once you get up to speed.
I did this by simply reversing the connections. Try it and you will notice the difference. :twocents
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I will pat it on the back and give it a good burp then reverse the fans. Do I have to do that with both radiators or is there a small bleed valve someplace near the water pump to purge the air ? On an old ZX-9 I had I used to pop the radiator cap them squeeze the hoses to get the air out.
It does seem odd to move air into the bike through the radiators instead of moving it out. Seems ass backwards. I guess they did that to keep hotair off peoples legs.
I think the RC is ok to commute on. I go 37 miles each way and its not too bad.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Anger managment patient

Your bike doesn't need any flushing or burping. IT'S OK. Get some miles on it and you'll see the temps will come down a bit. Make sure you have a good map. Yeah I know you have the DK but make sure its the revised 03 map. I actually use a different map in the summer here because the humidity is so crazy. I found my temps varried just by playing with the map selection. Also did you have the stock gearing in that traffic? If so you had to rev it to creep. Further causing the high temp. Its now summer and you could use some distilled water and water wetter. Your bike is ok til the temp gets to 254* then the ECU will go to limp mode.

As a note I got mine from Loudoun Cycles in Aug 05. I rode home via 15. You know the traffic if your from this area. They had it down to one lane and it was a 101* day on fresh blacktop. It never went over 235. I now have 3k and the temps still get to 225 in traffic and 218 runnin the twisties (dead summer air). Try to avoid this situation as heat kills motors. So do the free mods and drop 1 tooth up front at least. 30 bucks and two hours and your done.

The fans pull air in when stopped because the air outside the bike is cooler than under the fairing. It wasn't for your comfort.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Anger managment patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaugator
It sounds to me like it might need to be burped.... and topped off.... sometimes the set up guys at dealerships don't service the rad correctly so I would check that first.
Hondas come with fluids filled and batteries deep cycled.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I know you have the DK but make sure its the revised 03 map.
I will have to check the date on it. I guess I would have the latest one. It seems to be a good map so far as I just hit 700 miles, with the last 200 using the PCIII. My next mod will be to drop the front sprocket a tooth.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Damn Asshat

i have had mine for a year now. last week during 100 temp i was seeing 230.last summer hit 250 acouple of times. i agree on staying in clean air and back from cars. i have burped and topped off. yosh with sato low map, made no difference. i am putting in engine ice next weekend and prolly pulling off left side fan. hopefully that works, i am afraid one day i will boil my nuts

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Thumbs up Control The Fan Instead!

The only problem with this is, when you are stuck in traffic with the fans reversed, the temps. KEEP Going UP!
I've also tried reversing 1 fan but still no good! For a Street Bike, I would not, ever take off 1 of the fans! But Hey What ever works for you, right!?

OK Guys, This is What I did last year, I went to Radio-Shack and bought a switch, So That I Could Have Full Control Of The Fans!
The switch is called a dp/dt switch or something like that! If anyone is interested I will get you the actual part#!!??

So when in traffic I leave as stock! Brings temps. Down like normal!

Once you get rolling, I move the switch 1 position the fans stop, then move the switch 1 more position the fans reverse! temps. come down!

Then once I am up to speed, I bring the fans back 1 position, again the fans stop, then temps. continue to come down every time! Once I am under 195-200deg. I switch the fans to come on as in the stock position!!!

Awesome!!
Thank you, thank you very much!!
Peace Jeff

[QUOTE=andres]The reason the temperature does not go down onced you hit the open road is because by then the cooling fans are running and as you may have noticed the fans flow air from outside to inside. This is fine at low speed but at higher speeds you don't get much flow because of air wanting to flow from inside out... think about it.
What some have done is removing one of the cooling fans. Before my RC became track only I had both fans configure to flow air from inside to outside. It made a significant difference at lowering the temperature once you get up to speed.
I did this by simply reversing the connections. Try it and you will notice the difference.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:46 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!
Thumbs down 250 Too Hot Nfg!!

Don't do it, Use the Evans Instead!
250 IS Way TOO HHHOOootTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS.Check out above post/reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRC51fatboy
i have had mine for a year now. last week during 100 temp i was seeing 230.last summer hit 250 acouple of times. i agree on staying in clean air and back from cars. i have burped and topped off. yosh with sato low map, made no difference. i am putting in engine ice next weekend and prolly pulling off left side fan. hopefully that works, i am afraid one day i will boil my nuts
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Damn Asshat

yea i know 250 is way to hot. pulled over and let set fora few minutes, cooled right down. evans? what is that? i dont want to drag this into another coolant topic. ive always heard engine ice was great. next to water and water wetter.

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

|
|
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Thumbs up Good Topic! Search Evans!

I just did a search- type in "evans" the topic is, engine ice vs. evans.

I felt that this was a good topic, because I learned about the evans, I had never heard of it before either! I was telling my brother about it and he said here check this out!!---Evans web-site, GOOD INFO.!
There is No Water in this stuff, it's boiling point is like 80deg. higher than regular coolant! Best of all, is this stuff works with 0- very low pressures!
So better for the hoses, rads. and what ever else!!
In about 1 month I am going to be checking my valves, so at that time, I am going to be buying the Evans then!
Check out there web-site! Awesome Information!
Peace Jeff
PS.There is like 3 kinds to chose from! Evans npg, evans npg+, evans NRG-something like that, Anyhow if your interested and you can't find the info. Let me know I'll get it for you. I am at work now so I have to go! Peace!

Quote:
yea i know 250 is way to hot. pulled over and let set fora few minutes, cooled right down. evans? what is that? i dont want to drag this into another coolant topic. ive always heard engine ice was great. next to water and water wetter.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 PM

I've seen over 250 a couple of times. Of course, I live in Phoenix and was commuting on a black, asphalt highway at 45 mph. The gauge starts flashing at you at around 254 (if I remember correctly).

At the track I see 220's when the weather is in the 70s and about 235 when the weather is over 100.

That's just how it is. Engine Ice brought the temps down 10-15 degrees so the temp. during commute would hang out around 235-240.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Good idea about using a double-pole double-throw switch to control the directions of the fans. Where did you mount them?
You could also get a on-off-on switch to have the option of reverse flow, off, then normal flow. Time to get on digikey's website and poke around. For the non-electronics geeks, it the place to buy things like that. With two switches you could operate them independtly.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 07:45 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Thumbs up

Yeah Thanks MDRC51!
I have it mounted on the right side, just under the right clip-on! Oh, it is just 1 switch too! I just caught that you wrote them? It is one switch, with this switch I can already reverse flow!
Read the post again, it is a 3 position switch! = stock sucks air in, Off, and Reverse fans, blows air out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRC51
Good idea about using a double-pole double-throw switch to control the directions of the fans. Where did you mount them?
You could also get a on-off-on switch to have the option of reverse flow, off, then normal flow. Time to get on digikey's website and poke around. For the non-electronics geeks, it the place to buy things like that. With two switches you could operate them independtly.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:45 AM

Never seen 250,I would leave both fans on for a street bike:twocents
Quote:

" border="0" />04 RC51,Sato rearsets,Sato lows,Sato Ti hangers,Scotts Damper,Flapper,PCIIIUSB & Hub & LCD,K&N,15/42,Goodridge,CRG,SCORE= Deer-O,RC51-2,R1-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode