Shoei Helmet Fitment - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Question Shoei Helmet Fitment

I recently bought an '05 RF-1000 but I'm not sure if I got the right size. It is not uncomfortable, but snug. I get alittle chipmunk cheek, and if I open my jaw wide my chin pops out from the bottom. Also my nose is about 1/4" from the lower bar. My head is 57" around and according to Shoei that calls for a medium which I bought. I heard something about different manufacturers making different shaped helmets for different head sizes. I would say I have an oval head. Anyway, heres a link so yall can get a better idea of what it looks like.

http://www.sportbikelife.com/gallery...evel1/IMG_7591

That was my first trackday on the tenth at Texas World Speedway with Ridesmart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Every ride a gift...

They definitely loosen up some over time, so you don't want it too loose to start out with. I have a "Shoei head" which is tall and oblong, and my XL X-11 fits like a glove. I've tried HJC and Arai, and they hurt my forehead and just don't fit right.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 01:19 AM

I'm going to make an assumption here since you don't mention it, but you're probably a new rider and it's your first, or close to your first time buying a new helmet?

I've been around bikes long enough to learn one hard fact of life, everyone buys the wrong helmet first time out.

The good news is you may be close to having the optimum fit, that's the good news. I can tell by the snug cheeks. Do you have any pressure points that really hurt? if not then you should be good to go.

Just snug the helmet on and try to roll the helmet off your head forwards, that's the most important test.

You may want to explore other helmet brands for size and shapes. btw, the RF1000 btw is one of the 'tallest' helmets out there. Shark helmets are the roomiest up front of the face

Next time you get a chance, try on an AGV Ti-Tech. I would describe it as a 'better' Shoei. I've owned a Shoei Xsp for the longest time and thought it was the best fit, till I tried the AGV

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Dr. Carbon

I had a shoei rf 800 and it was a great helmet. they fit a bit snug at first, my head is a 57cm right on the dot. After a bit of use they will break in a bit and get more form fitted to your head. You have a comfy helmet, I tried on the rf1000 at the dealership earlier this year in my search for a helmet. Give it a bit of time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

My main concern is that my nose and mouth are so close to the front of the helmet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:05 PM

go check out the Shark helmets then
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Goldmember!

Shameless plug for Arai here. Best helmet money can buy, literally.

2003 RC with MFing Mori Low Mounts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't discriminate, I am a dick to everyone equally."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 01:13 AM

FWIW...
I tried on both the RF1000 & X11.
The X11 fit my 'ovalish' head better. (bought one)
I thought the RF fit was for a more 'round' head.

1978 Ducati 900SD Bevel Head (burned in garage fire)
1882 Ducati 900SD Bevel Head (gone but not forgotten)
2003 Honda VTR1000F (gone but not forgotten)
2003 Honda CBR600RR Race Bike
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Street Bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 AM
Clone

Check out the KBC line. It has alot of the advantages of the higher priced helmets but for alot less dough. My VR1 fits me just as well as my old X11 and I could by three of them for the price of the X11

Champions Honda Kawasaki

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Go somewhere and try on a large rf-1000. If you think it fits better then you bought the wrong size. If you think it feels weird too, then try a different brand or model of helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode