NYC Transit strike!!! - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

NYC Transit strike!!!

Yep, since the weather is at about 20 degrees in the mornings they decided to go on strike. NO BUS, NO TRAIN and cabbies are price whoring it. Our wonderful mayor issued a 4 person car pool also. So I decided to ride the ole RC in to work this week. Took her out of winter storage and busted out the winter gear. Let me tell you, sux not having good winter gloves. That is till this afternoon when I sprung for a set. Other then that, I could care less about a strike or cold, as long as it dont snow I will be riding into work. Great power, but lousey traction. You guys out west are so lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:10 PM

Shoot, this is where I was yesterday.

http://www.laguna-seca.com/
It was a nice 66 degrees.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:32 PM

Your Mayor should do what Regan did as President when the air traffic controllers went on strike and FIRE THEM ALL! Screw 'em, I bet there would be a line out to Jersey of people wanting those jobs. The unions in this country are ****ing themselves. How much do you think your average NY bus driver is making (including benifits) for a job you basically need a 6th grade education to do. Unions have this sense of "entitlement" that is gonna kill 'em. Just because it costs X ammount of dollars per hour to live "comfortably" somewhere, does not mean that every menial job should pay that ammount. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY, GET AN EDUCATION OR A SKILL THAT JUSTIFYS THE $!!!! People that bitch that "THE MAN" wont pay them what they need to "survive" need to pull their head outta their ass and get a better job. It's called CAPITALISM and the alternative has been tried my friends and it failed......
-Rocky-

ROCKYMT

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy1
Yep, since the weather is at about 20 degrees in the mornings they decided to go on strike. NO BUS, NO TRAIN and cabbies are price whoring it. Our wonderful mayor issued a 4 person car pool also. So I decided to ride the ole RC in to work this week. Took her out of winter storage and busted out the winter gear. Let me tell you, sux not having good winter gloves. That is till this afternoon when I sprung for a set. Other then that, I could care less about a strike or cold, as long as it dont snow I will be riding into work. Great power, but lousey traction. You guys out west are so lucky.
it's 18 here,clean roads though,youve gotta try some electric! i rode for about 5 years without it,now,no way im riding without it!!! lousey tractions good for burn offs though
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Silver and Black Attack!

you can pick up heated grips for about $25....

~Jeff

2003 RC51 street bike
1993 VFR750F commuter bike
2003 CRF50 pit bike
1996/98 Honda RS250R race bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMt
Your Mayor should do what Regan did as President when the air traffic controllers went on strike and FIRE THEM ALL! Screw 'em, I bet there would be a line out to Jersey of people wanting those jobs. The unions in this country are ****ing themselves. How much do you think your average NY bus driver is making (including benifits) for a job you basically need a 6th grade education to do. Unions have this sense of "entitlement" that is gonna kill 'em. Just because it costs X ammount of dollars per hour to live "comfortably" somewhere, does not mean that every menial job should pay that ammount. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY, GET AN EDUCATION OR A SKILL THAT JUSTIFYS THE $!!!! People that bitch that "THE MAN" wont pay them what they need to "survive" need to pull their head outta their ass and get a better job. It's called CAPITALISM and the alternative has been tried my friends and it failed......
-Rocky-
funny how you can say that.guess all of us union workers are just mindless slaves with shitty educations!maybe ill get that schooling your talking about and get a lower paying job so i can retire without any benefits/pension or health care.i love hearing you guys bitch about unions,"were over paid and under worked" "we dont deserve the paychecks we get" were spoiled" were a bunch of mindless drones" dude get real!you have no ideal what your talking about! if your sorry ass would like i can arrange for you to do some of the jobs that i do,on the line,where i work! im sure you wouldnt make it a week before you quit! maybe ill take your advice and work for min wage and retire broke with nothing! good advice guy!
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Full Spectrum

Quote:
-Rocky-
Ronald Reagan created more deficit spending than any president in history. Maybe you dont remember the 15% mortgage rates?

While I am not union, and have a Masters, I certainly appreciate the fact that unions helped to create the middle class in this country. Getting rid of them would give us an oligarchy. Not a good thing.

I stand with any union worker, because I am an american, who belives that everyone in this country deserves to earn a living wage; not just those of us with advanced degrees.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Damn Asshat

Quote:
-Rocky-
i am with ya fire their sorry asses, month without any money and they will beg for their jobs back.

04 RC51

President of The Troy Bayless Haterz Club

|
|
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 PM

Strike???

Hey didn't they strike on their last contract??? Might of been here in Rainny California .
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 PM

Gee, did I hit a nerve? I didnt (and wouldn't) call all union workers "lazy, stupid drones" (or whatever it was you said) What I am saying is that transit drivers asking for among other things for retirement benifits to kick in at 55 is ludicrous! There was a time and place when the unions were needed, but like it or not, these days, aside from lining the union bosses pockets with your dues, they usually do their members more harm than good. Go ahead and blame it on the evil Republicans (its ALL RICH WHITE MEN'S FAULT!) all you want pal, but the handwriting is on the wall. I dont fault ANYONE who does an honest days work, whatever your job is, BUT THE PARADIGM IS CHANGING!!!! If you work at a job that can be "outsourced" to Asscrackastan or China, IT WILL BE! (sooner rather than later) It's all about that evil PROFIT MARGIN! So if you think you kids will be able to support themselves (and their families) working an assembly type job you are either clueless or in denial. Even "high tech" type jobs (ie: computer programmers) are being outsourced to countries where they will work for a fraction of what Americans demand. Hate it all you want, but it's a fact and if you dont improvise, adapt and EVOLVE you will become EXTINCT!
-Rocky-

P.S. Was that the same evil President Regan that according to common wisdom facilitated the fall of the Berlin wall, and the downfall of the Soviet Union? (Oh yeah, I forgot, he must be an evil man, after all he was REPUBLICAN....)

ROCKYMT

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Full Spectrum

To be honest, the Soviet Union collapsed under its own weight. It just happened during Reagans watch. 40 years of cold war took their toll.

To suggest that Reagan was responsible for this is irresponsible, and misleading.

Also, I will sooner stand with my fellow americans, than with the corporations.

Apparently, you would rather see corporate profits than a healthy middle class.

Merry Christmas.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:18 AM

Rockymt. You are spoken like a true ass hole on this one. Most of the time I find you very much on point. But this time I think we will agree to disgree. I am a union locomotive Engr. and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you have never worked in transporation field you have no idea how much the unions are needed. These companys try to walk all over there people and give nothing back. The transit workers are asking for alot but you have to start somewhere when it comes to union contracts. You say that it is unskilled labor to run a bus around the city. I would love to see you come on out first day and not get lost or crash into things. And the nyc transit railroaders should be paid more. If you have ever been on a train I am sure you noticed that your life and everybodys else's life is in the hands of that engr. Just to give you an idea of the difference in wages from union to nonunion railway works is at cp rail lowest paying job in transporation is 50k and up to 140k and at the nonunion railroad we interchange with the highest paid engr on there property was 37k this year. Thank GOD for unions so 26 year old kids like me can make 6 digets and have kick ass bikes and house's and start our own bussiness so we too can capitalize also like your self.
So please respect the picket lines. Scabs suck.
Thanks
Pat
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Full Spectrum

Im with you Patman.

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 AM

Thanks Brother

Pat
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 AM

Dont get me wrong, I dont approve of what is happening to lots of American jobs, but at some point in your life you have to realize that you can be:
A) An ideologue and rant and rave about all the injustices of the world, and "fight the power" (like many of my clueless fellow residents of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
-OR-
B) Adapt to your situation and MAKE YOUR OWN SUCCESS! If you think Uncle Sam is gonna take care of you, WAKE UP! The Federal governments job is merely to provide a safe and secure border around you and to protect you from foreign threats. It's up to YOU to put food on the table and a roof over your head. Too many people have grown up in a prosperous era thinking that they are "entitled" to health care, free higher education, subsidized housing etc. I run into them on a daily basis, they spend their day pissing and moaning about their lot in life, always trying to find someone else to blame for their lack of success, and seeing people who have succeeded and resenting them and or blaming them for "conspicuous consumption" when all they need to do to find who REALLY is to blame is look in the mirror! Everyone wants to be a ****in' victim ("my mommy didnt breast feed me, my daddy was an alcoholic....")Boo-****in-Hoo, a wiser man than me once said "success is 90% perspiration and 10% insipration". We as a nation are doing a great job of pumping philosophy and fine arts majors and gay womens empowerment profesors out of our universities while China, India et al are seeing over 50% of their students graduate with math and/or engineering degrees. We as a nation are in for a reality check real soon. I'm glad I grew up in the golden age of my country, I can only hope my kids have the same opportunities I had to succeed. (end of sermon, now open your song books to page 44......)
-Rocky- (AKA White-Male-Capitalist-Egocentric-Pig)

ROCKYMT

post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 AM

Clean this country out of illegal aliens and watch in amazement as we get back on track in this nation...

America , **** Yeah !
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Full Spectrum

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I dont approve of what is happening to lots of American jobs, but at some point in your life you have to realize that you can be:
A) An ideologue and rant and rave about all the injustices of the world, and "fight the power" (like many of my clueless fellow residents of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
-OR-
B) Adapt to your situation and MAKE YOUR OWN SUCCESS! If you think Uncle Sam is gonna take care of you, WAKE UP! The Federal governments job is merely to provide a safe and secure border around you and to protect you from foreign threats. It's up to YOU to put food on the table and a roof over your head. Too many people have grown up in a prosperous era thinking that they are "entitled" to health care, free higher education, subsidized housing etc. I run into them on a daily basis, they spend their day pissing and moaning about their lot in life, always trying to find someone else to blame for their lack of success, and seeing people who have succeeded and resenting them and or blaming them for "conspicuous consumption" when all they need to do to find who REALLY is to blame is look in the mirror! Everyone wants to be a ****in' victim ("my mommy didnt breast feed me, my daddy was an alcoholic....")Boo-****in-Hoo, a wiser man than me once said "success is 90% perspiration and 10% insipration". We as a nation are doing a great job of pumping philosophy and fine arts majors and gay womens empowerment profesors out of our universities while China, India et al are seeing over 50% of their students graduate with math and/or engineering degrees. We as a nation are in for a reality check real soon. I'm glad I grew up in the golden age of my country, I can only hope my kids have the same opportunities I had to succeed. (end of sermon, now open your song books to page 44......)
-Rocky- (AKA White-Male-Capitalist-Egocentric-Pig)
So how is it that we are the only industrialized country that does not have free healthcare? For that matter free higher public education?

Why are we not graduating more engineers? Why are student loan funds being cut?

Why is the actual quality of life lower here than in Canada, England, etc...?

The real reason for outsourcing jobs in this country is the high cost of healthcare. If healthcare is provided by the government, all those jobs come back to the US.

But I guess you wouldnt want that, because then you would have to find some other way to complain about those "libruls".

Your kids will not have the same opportunities that you and I had because you continue to vote for corporatist pigs, who just today approved a $70billion tax cut, while cutting the Student Loan program in half. How is that good for the country?

Maybe you should think about what kind of a world you want to leave to your kids.

Merry ****ing Christmas.

post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to JrAllNite
"success is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration" - Thomas Edison...what do I win .

Unions, everybody can have their OWN opinion of them. My Dad retired from SBC, my brother and roommate work there. They are GLAD they have it, even though sometimes it was a pain in the ass. Instance of union vs non-union pay here in Milwaukee. SBC, union, phone techs start off at $12.50(I think), after 3 years they are at $28.50. Not to shabby. Time Warner cable, non-union, service tech starts off at $10.21(I started of at $11.71 due to experience), after 2 years I was up to $13.55. Talk about messed up.

The things about this strike is that it is ILLEGAL for transit workers to strike in New York, there is a law about it and that's why their union is getting slapped with a $1mil/day fine. Sounds like to me that their union didn't do their homework and is acutally SCREWING their people.

I agree with RockyMT about these whinny, bitchy people that want you to feel sorry for them. I worked hard for everything I got. I did my time in the Military, and now I am going to school(electrical engineering) and Uncle Sam is paying for it. I know that if you want to make decent money, you NOW adays need to have a degree, and the degree doesn't make me better than a non-degreed person. With companies wanting a BS or BA now, you have to change with the times.

2001 RC51
Swingarm mod
Flapper mod
PAIR mod
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:00 AM

Sorry guys, two more points (again), I have nothing but respect for anyone who works hard to support themself and their family, but when a union thinks that by holding a city hostage for their pay demands (how much money is this costing New Yorkers in time and lost productivity!?) Then that is where the govt. should step in. I'm absolutely positive you are correct in stating I'd be a shitty bus driver in NYC (for a few weeks) and I'm equally sure that controlling a locomotive is a highly skilled job, BUT it is a job you chose to do, if someone equally skilled can and will do it for less, well you know the rest. Dont blame others for the economy or job/education choices, if you dont like your lot in life change courses, otherwise you are just swimming upstream....Secondly, I dont have anything against liberal studies majors, my wife is an internationally recognized published artist, she separated herself from the throngs of "starving artists" by recognizing that what she loves to paint may not be what people want to buy, so by adapting to the "industry" she works in and "whoring" herself out as other "artists" have sometimes said, she has done very well, well enough that now she can paint what she wants, because in the "art world" it's all about "perception". If people think your art is good because you are famous, then it is. It sounds weird, but it's actually easier to sell a piece for $10,000 than it is for $100, because people equate price with ability. But to get there you have to establish a "name" (and 20 years later) then you can do what you want. Like she tells young aspiring artists "sell to the masses, and dine with the classes..." End of economics lesson for today kids.

-Rocky-

ROCKYMT

post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Full Spectrum

If any of you think that we are on our own here, then you are not living in the same America as me.

This country is all about opportunity for us, you know, "We The People"?

Remember us?

Not the corporations, the people. Stand with your fellow citizens as they try to raise their kids and support their families. Stand with your fellow citizens as we all try to make this a better country to live in.

Or dont.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode