Cam Silencing Gear Removal Mod - Page 4 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51Stunna
Thanks alot area51.

Luckily my bike isnt even fully broken in yet so I dont have to worry about checking valve clearances.

Stunna
That's a plus. If you do this mod you will see what it takes to inspect the valve clearance for future services. Another plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51racer
Twisty's assessment of the noise is dead on. But pay close attention to the louder than a dry clutch part. I certainly don't mind shouting in the pits over a loud idleing engine, but thought it was worth mentioning that side effect of this mod because good street riders tend to talk at intersections about various things and you certainly won't be able to do that without full on yelling at each other after you complete this mod. If you think a Vented dry clutch on a Duc is too loud, you might want to decide against the mod. If you like that sound, and want more of it, then mod away And pulling in the clutch doesn't make the sound go away like a Duc. The sound is always there, from idle to redline

Tools needed will be the basics for tank removal: nothing a standard do-it-yourselfer shouldn't already have. Beyond the valve covers you will need: A good pair of snap ring plyers. The snap rings holding everything together are strong mothers and require a plyers that can pull the rings far apart. So shop for a pair that has a longer range of motion, it will help. Next, be sure to have a decent torque wrench for reinstalling the cam holder bolts and valve cover bolts. The service manual will tell you the right torque for those bolts as well as the clearance for valves so add a service manual and a set of feeler guages to the list. Have a pad of paper and pen ready to take notes of your before and after valve clearances. This helps to determine if you need to buy new shims or simply swap the ones already sitting under the shim buckets. A magnet is useful for getting stubborn shim buckets out. Note: a v-twin engine is tough to turn over manually with spark plugs installed. Remove them before turning the engine over manually. This will also allow you to inspect the plugs.

service manual, torque wrench, socket set, plyers of all types, snap ring plyers, feeler guage, paper and pen, a magnet, spark plug socket, and a partner in crime (friend) never hurts with tank removal work and internal engine work That should get anyone started in the right direction. Shop rags, buckets and hoses for draining gas and other little things are a given.

If you are new to bikes or mechanical stuff and this seems suddenly a bit out of reach, don't think that way. This is a Fun winter mod that will help anyone who does it learn about engine timing, how to check valve clearances, how to use a service manual, how to inspect for wear, and will give the extra confidence it takes to move on to more challenging projects in the future.

Take it from me, a complete green-horn to engines and machines, but someone who trusts only one mechanic who now lives 2,000 miles away from me, and someone who is always looking for that new challenge. I used this mod as a successful stepping stone to a more challenging RC project... transmission rebuild, which I successfully pulled off last winter all in part to the lessons I learned with the cam gear removal mod. Good luck guys, and I hope you have fun with it I sure did.

Great post!!!
post #63 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 AM
Once bitten twice shy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
Great post!!!

+1
truly the best post on this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM

As always, you guys are welcome. And your positive feedback of my posts are always appreciated

It's winter time again and there are a lot of guys as usual looking for that next fun project. I always use this time of year to give that extra and honest nudge to dig in, mod, and learn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode