Speedzilla Forums banner

Back on the saddle again... slowly but surely.

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  RobertDarwin 
#1 ·
Said a few years ago I would never ride again after my accident, long story short, 32 surgeries (and lots of titanium and new joints) since 2011, this is what the RC looked like after going over a 60 foot cliff - I was in worse shape

Ever since then I've felt like the wreck has just beat be up and won, mentally. Wife compounded the issue saying no more bikes. Wife moved out last April of her own accord, started itching pretty hard. In December they did the second hip revision and stretched the leg back out to its normal length (lost about 1" of femur in the crash) and the itch won now that both legs are the same length again. picked up a new astars suit, boots, gloves and an AGV brain cradle. Didn't want to buy a bike until the divorce if finalized so my sister lent me her 954rr until that is over.

I hopped on it down the street and back, nerves weren't as bad as I expected. Can't wait for it to warm up and get down the road a bit longer. If it pans out, think I'll be getting another RC and starting the never ending and unnecessarily expensive process of getting a similar ride to what I had before. Until then, this is all I got:

Has a few little bolt on mods, obviously lighter and faster than the RC, but there's just something about those old slow pigs.

Glad to be back on something, for the past five years I felt like was raped and afraid to get it on again. For those of you who have hit a nasty accident and got back on, any tips?

See less See more
#2 ·
Only street bike I've ever wrecked was an '83 750 Interceptor. Broke my thumb and separated my shoulder. Took me quite a while to get that bike put back together and felt super sketchy first few times I went back out, but miles are the cure for what ails you. Maybe do a trackday in a novice group so you don't feel like you have to push or are being pushed. Plus, the track will let you focus on riding since it safer than the street.

Welcome back.

Mike

#3 ·
Yeah plan is to shake all the bugs out then pick up a track bike like an sv or another beatup 600 maybe late this year or next spring, good news is I'm much closer to barber now so if all works out I may hit up STT out there at the end of the year.

#9 ·
Can't say I'm fond of it, they made these bikes for midgets, plus it's sloppy, 100% stock with a slip on.

Nothing can compare to a bike that's setup properly, even if it has a fraction of the power. The throttle on this thing has more slack in it, then my RC's complete rotation. I think it's going to be best to hurry and setup my own ride again before digging deep into another RC build.

#10 ·
@Selfinflication....

Holy crap mate. Remember when that happened back. IT was almost the same time as i stopped lurking around the Speedzilla forum.
Glad to see you back and getting back on the horse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.