real world crash test Audi vs Cadillac - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

real world crash test Audi vs Cadillac

2009 Audi A4 -VS- 2000 Cadillac

So Sunday the wife and I are on the way home from running errands... ~5 miles from home, 2 lane road, just ended the 25 mph zone... then wham! Turns out a kid rear ended me at ~60mph(I was going ~ 30mph) spun my car sideways over a bridge into the other lane. I had ~1 second to react. no steering, car is oversteering into the side of the bridge (over an interstate). hit the brakes (it was raining), ABS and Brake assist kick-in. have the car slowed down to ~5-10mph then get hit head on by a Cadillac (she was going ~35-40mph). Airbags/smoke/pain etc...
Name:  compressed Audi.jpg
Views: 7715
Size:  48.3 KB
Name:  compressed cadillac.jpg
Views: 2206
Size:  33.9 KB

Did not "Walk" away, but hobbled! All said and done: we are both banged and bruised real good, cut by something? (5 stiches on arm) and my foot has 3 broken bones:
Name:  compressed broken foot.jpg
Views: 36882
Size:  11.6 KB
After surgery, should be able to drive in 6-8 weeks and ride a motorcycle by May! Audi absorbed crash pretty good. Seat belt pre-tensioners and ABS worked good. After airbags went off, lights and hazards came on automatically, doors unlocked, window rolled down and called 911 for me. All 4 doors opened and there was no fire. +1 for Audi! The 5 star crash rating is no joke, best $38K I ever spent. As for the Cadillac, took the firemen 12 minutes to cut the other driver out, but she was Ok.

Just back from an all expenses paid 400 day vacation! Find out how at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Nice Member

wow! glad you guys are safe

fast, cheap, reliable.... pick 2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
member at large

Glad you guys are relatively unscathed. Ill have to give Audi a hard look next time we go car shopping.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Zombies, I have a plan

Glad you were NOT on your bike.

Life is too short not to be Italian
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Germans make good chit .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to drsus
amazing what modern cars can take.... both those cars saved everyones lifes. Had it been 20 years ago.....different stories. Glad your ok man

both the cars engines did their job of unhooking from the the engine mounts and tucking the powertrain so that they didnt come into the cab, critical part of impact dissipation in the design of both these cars and huge part of why people walk away from these wrecks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Follow up...

Just a follow up... I had surgery ~3 weeks ago, 3 1/2 hours under the knife, 3 titanium plates and 12 screws. Bad part is, 2nd Metatarsal (sp?) was busted in too small of pieces to screw together so the Dr. screwed the plate to the ends, then drilled holes thru the pieces and tied it all together with wire. Today, they removed 28 stitches and told me at least 3 more weeks on crutches. Still hope to be on a bike by May!
Attached Images

Just back from an all expenses paid 400 day vacation! Find out how at
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Nice Member

Thats going to hurt when your old and it rains. Hope someone pays out for that.

fast, cheap, reliable.... pick 2

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Glad you made it out pretty well... could have been much worse. I sell Audi's for a living down here in the Dallas/Fort Worth market. I have seen and heard of many people coming out of accidents in our vehicle's with little to no injury's and some pretty scary speeds. In another thread, it was asked if 5star made much of a difference over 4star. It does! Where in this situation it was just your foot, it would have more than likely been much worse. BMW makes a great car, and not trying to take anything from them, but Audi and Acura's 5 star ratings are much better. Your A4 has 5 star all the way around.

Good luck healing soon.

Mo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 AM

why am i not surprised you live in nova.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode