Speedzilla Forums banner

My new Superbike

18K views 86 replies 27 participants last post by  6511 
#1 ·
Well, I sold off my 999R because I am went back to University and can´t afford racing for the next few years.

So I bought a crashed and rashed 748S.

It started like this:

Fairing is rashed, front wheel was broken and temporarily replaced with my 5 spoke magnesium wheel off my 999R. The front fairing was broken, hence the borrowed red one.

Today, I busted out my camera. Thanks for hubert for the final inspiration on the wheels *drool* :D

Not done yet, since the actual fairing is still in the mail back from repair. It´s going to be a carbon fibre fairing with a special, not too fancy color scheme. Won´t tell you exactly how it´s going to be though, as I want that little secret kept for me til the day she´s ready.

Upgrades as of today: used cf swingarm guard, Marchesini magnesium 10 spokes (sexiest there are!), still have to put on the 999 brembo masters. P34/34 calipers and 998 rotors (same as the stock ones i think, so no real upgrade).

And well yeah, the cf fairing that´s still in the mail.
Man I want to ride...

See less See more
#5 ·
So I had all this stuff in the mail. Repaired cf bits and pieces which I bought for a good price and had repaired by a dude who´s shaping surf boards.

He also cut some light holes into a racing front mask. How cool is that?

I first thought about putting on my 999 brake slave, but I ended up using the stock 16mm brake off the 748S. I slapped on P34/34 Brembos now. Should be a huge improvement.

I think I´ll take it out for a spin if it´s staying dry tomorrow. 1°C... brrrrrrr...

#15 ·
Nikos,

good to hear from you mate. I´m glad to hear you making good use of the goldish legs of fortune :D

As for stuff coming along, I am waiting for paint. Will drop the stuff at the painter´s next week in order to get it done properly.

I first thought I´d make it red, but red seemed so boring. Then I wanted to make it black. Hm, already had that, boring. Then I really started digging yellow bikes. Yeah hum, but yellow, maybe later... then inbetween came this red/orangish Desmosedici colour. But, naaah, wanted my 999R to be done like that, but never did.

So now it´s back to red, black, white and a bit of carbon fibre. It´s going to look awesome, but you gotta wait and see until it´s ready. I ordered a Fabbri solo pista windscreen from Carpimoto in Italy, which I think will look pretty pimp as soon as all is done.

For now, I only got this current picture to show off. Still tasty, nontheless if you ask me. -6°C at December 30th. Brrrrrrr.

The frozen Maschsee in Hannover. Yes it was really cold. And still is.

#20 ·
Damn winter, it is still snowing on and off in northern Germany.

I took the front forks apart to have the barrels anodized black. I will do the fork bottoms as well, while I am at it. Damn, that bike is going to look pimp.

Attachments

#25 ·
Damn Ben! you're hooking it up! I've been doing my bodywork for what feels like forever. I'll have to post up some pics of it along the way. I'm inspired.

Can't wait to see how the forks come out! digging the blacked out side stand too :rockon

#26 ·
Thanks a lot for the nice comment!

If my build inspired you I´ve done a good deed today, hehe.

I bought a lifting ramp off my buddy who stopped wrenching and riding. What an investment!

I started hooking up the swingarm today and started to transfer some stuff from my 748 frame to the new and shiny black 996 SPS frame.

The 748 engine is no more. I bought a broken 955 engine, which is a 916 big bore. It had a main bearing failure so I got it for a good price. Dropped the engine off at a really good tuner and he is going to build one good engine out of my two ones.

That will turn out as a 955R. Completely rebuilt bottom with 2002 748 cases, 916 crankshaft, 96mm cylinders and 748R heads (36/30 valves) - currently without camshafts. I am looking for a set of 996 SPS cams to put in there, but haven´t found the right set for the right price.

I actually thought about getting some 27mm triples, but I don´t want to invest more at the moment, because I don´t know if there are any hidden costs to come. And tbh - I also need some money to ride the wheels off that beast!

A new set of Dunlop Qualifier RRs is on their way, waiting to guard my Marchesini wheels.

Damn, I can´t wait to ride that thing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.