Full System Exhaust for 998 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
http://www.ducatidogs.com

Send a message via AIM to srg5150 Send a message via MSN to srg5150 Send a message via Yahoo to srg5150
Full System Exhaust for 998

Every time this topic comes up it either dies out or is left with a bunch of unanswered questions. The final comments seem to all be "Yeah, I've done it. Works great!" then nothing but crickets chirping in the background and tumbleweeds blowing by. Those champion statements never being backed up by a "how to" or pictures.

So dear brethren I pose this question, nay...CHALLENGE! How is it done??

I know it CAN be done since others have done it and I know it isn't easy since Ducati F'D the US market with the non deep sump base 998 motor design. The boys across the pond get to laugh and thumb their noses at us on this one.

Fast by Feracci / Forza evidently make one for the base 998 (I believe 54 or 57 mm) but after posing the question in earlier posts nobody knew of one being mounted, used, heard, dyno'd, seen in person, etc. I've not been a fan of Forza anyway since the only slip-on I've heard from them made the Duc sound lawn mower-ish. Not pleasant.

Everything I've ever heard around here is how much the Testa engines like to breathe. I can't believe someone hasn't posted a how to thread on this when the 998 is seen to be the iconic bike of the Ducati line.

My goal (IIIIIII have a drrreeaammm....) is to somehow mount a 60mm full Akrapovic Evolution series to the base 998 engine. Hell, at this point I don't care if its another manufacturer (since some will see not mounting a Termi as blasphemy).

So what's the consensious? Heat the horizontal pipe with a torch or other means and gently bend it to fit? I don't care about all the blood, sweat, and tears sweat equity - what's some more after all I've done anyway.

I'll take all the comments, suggestions, and "you're nuts" comments you're formulating at this point. Other threads? Other forums? Website? Buddy's uncle's neighbor's former roomates gardner do it?

I just dont want this to die out like all similar previous threads. Seriously, how many 998 owners like having to "settle" for a 1/2 system if a full version is a real possibility? It sucks.

Lets make it work this time!

Thanks in advance

'02/'05 Ducati 998/999R combination
Lots-o-CF & Billet lovin with BST's
More custom parts than I can count

2008 Ducati Concorso Troy Bayless award
"Best Superbike"

Now racing WERA... an addiction worse than crack
The money pit continues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 AM

I fitted a deep-sump 50mm termi to my 998Bip without mods. Took a bit of time, effort, swearing. Worked perfectly without any probs for 2 years. Here are some tips on the process.

- Make sure you have at lease 5 hours available free from work/kids etc, and a regular supply of tea/coffe/beer (UK/US/both)
- Put full system on connected loosely at the exhaust outlet studs and can hangers only (not the frame mounts for the siamesed link pipe). The front header will not line up with the link pipe.
- File the bolt holes in the mounting bracket on the link pipe to allow a little vertical displacement where they bolt to the frame.
- Use a spreader between the frame mount and the link pipe to force the link pipe downwards and a bottle jack to push the front header upwards - be very gentle.
- Rubber mallet time.
- Swear a lot.
- When the joint under the rear of the sump finally goes in, get the springs on fast.
- Tighten all of the exhaust outlet studs and the frame bolts a little at a time until all is snug.

The most rearward section of the front header will be pushed firmly against the rear of the sump.
You will need to space out the right footrest hanger about 10-15mm.
Go get it set-up on a dyno.

It seems larger diameter systems need to be cut and welded in order to fit. One cut in the section of the link pipe about 3 inches from the join in the rear header, to lower the female part of the link pipe, and it may also need a cut in the front header, about 4 inches from the head, to ease the angle of the front header and allow it to run under the sump. I now have a 57mm system fitted, using the above cuts.

Good luck.

Spin

It's called the red-shift, and it's a result of the doppler effect. Basically, the faster something moves away from you, the redder it appears.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 PM
How slow can u go?

I know it's a bit off topic but I don't think Akrapovic offers a 60mm system. I own a full Ti Akra system for the 998R that I might sell. LMK if you're interested. It's hardly used at all.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM

I put a 57mm Termi full system for the deep sump engine on my 2002 US spec 998. I had to cut the bottom pipe where where it drops down from the exhaust pipe and add a small piece of new tubing to lower it to clear the sump. Had to do the same at the back of the bottom pipe to bring it back up. I made an aluminum spacer to move the X-pipe section out where it is mounted to the frame above the right foot peg. My system came with spacers to move the right foot peg out to clear the larger pipes. I have the three piece body work with the separate side panels and belly pan. I had to fabricate a small bracket on each side to spread the belly pan out a 1/2 inch or so because the larger diameter pipes touched the belly pan (it will burn through!). The termi pipes are stainless steel. You will need a 18 gauge 304 stainless u-bend to fabricate the new sections from. I can e-mail you pictures if you want. I have no information about other systems/brands.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to srg5150 Send a message via MSN to srg5150 Send a message via Yahoo to srg5150
You mentioned that you did it to a deep sump motor. Did you mean non deep sump, as in the base 998 US model?

How difficult was the cutting & fabrication part? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?

Do you think a slow heat to the pipes with either a rubber mallet or a pipe bender would work to make the clearance?

Yes, please email me pictures of whatever you've got. I'd love to see them.

Thanks

Steve

"Best Superbike"

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Oops - I didn't read the post from Gecko - thought your Q's were for me - before I wrote the following..... The 50mm system came from a deep-sump 998S, and I fitted it to my non-deep sump 998Bip.

The 57mm system was intended for a deep-sump, and was modded to fit my non-deep sump.

For the 50, heating would not make any difference, and trying to make any bends is likely to result in creases or worse. A pipe bender may work (on heated tubing) but it mght be a quick way to ruin an expensive piece of kit.

I had my 57 welded by a shop - to be truthful, I am not very happy with the standard of the welding they did, which is not nearly as tidy as the existing welding on the system. I paid 240GBP for the work, and consider this too much (I needed the pipe for the track the next week-end, so I had to suck it up.)

I will strip the system over the winter to clean it up as best I can.

I would expect a good stainless welder could do a very tidy job for a reasonable price, but they will need the whole bike to get the alignement correct.

I'll try to sort out the photos, but I'm famous for failing in this department.

Spin

It's called the red-shift, and it's a result of the doppler effect. Basically, the faster something moves away from you, the redder it appears.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to kam1996
My Termi half is already too loud, I cannot imagine how loud the Full system would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that's a new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 View Post
My Termi half is already too loud, I cannot imagine how loud the Full system would be.
Spin - Yeah, please send me a couple pics of you've got em.

I appreciate the input guys, keep it comin!

"Best Superbike"

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 PM
He with the senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 View Post
just an interesting item...

All else being equal, wider headers will quieten the sound, not make it louder, so the real question is the diameter of the muffler inner perf pipe. A bigger diameter header with the same muffler core will be quieter. A bigger muffler core will obviously be louder...regardless of the header/system diameter.

Old Baldy
Triumph Tiger 955i with decent suspension.
Ducati 996 with hot 999 motor
Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srg5150 View Post
Every time this topic comes up it either dies out or is left with a bunch of unanswered questions. The final comments seem to all be "Yeah, I've done it. Works great!" then nothing but crickets chirping in the background and tumbleweeds blowing by. Those champion statements never being backed up by a "how to" or pictures.

So dear brethren I pose this question, nay...CHALLENGE! How is it done??

I know it CAN be done since others have done it and I know it isn't easy since Ducati F'D the US market with the non deep sump base 998 motor design. The boys across the pond get to laugh and thumb their noses at us on this one.

Fast by Feracci / Forza evidently make one for the base 998 (I believe 54 or 57 mm) but after posing the question in earlier posts nobody knew of one being mounted, used, heard, dyno'd, seen in person, etc. I've not been a fan of Forza anyway since the only slip-on I've heard from them made the Duc sound lawn mower-ish. Not pleasant.

Everything I've ever heard around here is how much the Testa engines like to breathe. I can't believe someone hasn't posted a how to thread on this when the 998 is seen to be the iconic bike of the Ducati line.

My goal (IIIIIII have a drrreeaammm....) is to somehow mount a 60mm full Akrapovic Evolution series to the base 998 engine. Hell, at this point I don't care if its another manufacturer (since some will see not mounting a Termi as blasphemy).

So what's the consensious? Heat the horizontal pipe with a torch or other means and gently bend it to fit? I don't care about all the blood, sweat, and tears sweat equity - what's some more after all I've done anyway.

I'll take all the comments, suggestions, and "you're nuts" comments you're formulating at this point. Other threads? Other forums? Website? Buddy's uncle's neighbor's former roomates gardner do it?

I just dont want this to die out like all similar previous threads. Seriously, how many 998 owners like having to "settle" for a 1/2 system if a full version is a real possibility? It sucks.

Lets make it work this time!

Thanks in advance
This is an old topic, so here it is again:
Termi system for the deep sump engine will fit the standard 998 with some mods. I don't think 54mm and/or larger can be done without cutting and welding (we want to keep the cross section round, right?). 54mm Needs two cuts on the front header pipe. Cuts are close to the front cylinder. None required in the back where it connects to the crossover. I actually cut the pipe, mounted it on the bike in the correct position, and stabilized the gaps with screws and washers, then took it off the bike and brought it to the welder. I cut out a wedge at the first cut such that it just needed to be welded up, the second cut then needs some addition of material to regain correct length. Power history: 998sFE stock 113HP, R-cams and half system (45/50) 123HP (no mapping, just slapped on DP supplied ECU), 54 full system 126HP (again no mapping and 998R ECU, different dyno), high comp Pistal, porting, and PC tuning 141HP. If you are not interested in the Termi info, just ignore the above....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 AM

FWIW, I have the akra 60 mm (carbon) on a deep sump, it is not as loud as some of the half systems I have heard.

Learn from your errors...however, errors can be costly.

-------------

DOCC#953
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

I'll elaborate that I understand this is not a do-it-all-mod. I realize you can't just throw on a large exhaust without considering all the other factors. I've already got larger air intakes, BMC filters, undertail breather box, 996R ECU, PCIII, and 1/2 system Termi. I'm trying to source an oversize airbox and cams right now too. I'm willing to put together "the package" and do it right. It just seems like the exhaust on these bikes is such a limiting factor. There's a ton of stuff readilly available for the intake side but didly squat for the exhaust side. Yes the 45 to 50 systems help "some" but not much. Yeah, great. We can all get our bikes to run extra lean and hotter now. Thanks.

"Best Superbike"

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 AM

Srgrg,

Whatever you do, don't give-up on the big pipe. With a little head-work, and a pipe to let it breath, the results are awesome.

MHReplica's sequence of tuning is almost identical to mine, with virtually identical results - but still with the 50mm pipe. With the 57, but not mapped, I can already feel the additional top-end (when it's running - grrrrrrr).

Spin

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Bump for the weekend crew.

Any more info, links, or knowledge floating around out there?

"Best Superbike"

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:17 AM

What a great thread....very informative

Just what i was looking for....But if some one could add...Speaking about Termi 54mm full system for shallow sump motor fitment..(with pipe mods).Which system is the best fit 54mm 996r..or 54mm 998r...or what?...what did you guys use?
Do 54mm cans fit on std 998 bipost?

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode