Finally, the new links for the RC are here! - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Finally, the new links for the RC are here!

Some of you may remember a while back there was a discussion of being able to get these rear links made available to us at a huge discount. Even though there was a lot of interest there wasn’t much commitment from the community. None the less, I took it upon myself to see this project through.

I am happy to announce that the 3rd generation of rear RC-51 links are now being provided to the RC community. Not only have there been a few improvements, but the price is considerably less than the previous 2 generations.

So what does a modified rear link do for the RC? The aftermarket links offer a few advantages over the stock link such as raised rear ride height and a better, and more linier, application of hp through the rear suspension to the road. This is accomplished by a slight change in the axes from the stock link. Not only is this geometry change beneficial to the bikes handling characteristics, but there is a weight savings over the stock link as well.

Why should someone choose this link over a mori or dk link? There are several reasons. The first being this link is lighter than both of the other aftermarket links. The second is that there has been an ever so slight geometry change from the 2nd gen. link(dk) that both the cad engineer and myself believe will provide the most optimum performance for putting the power to the ground. Basically it’s a balance between the most aggressive design for the link, in the application of power through the rear wheel, while still keeping the linier application of that power as flat and stable as possible. There is almost nothing worse then trying to power out of a corner and having the rear step out on you, or the front shoot skyward, because of an abrupt power surge….be it from our ham fisted throttle control or through the sudden loading up of the rear suspension. The 3rd and final drastic change is the recontouring of the links axis bulkheads. On one of the bulkheads(rounded outer diameter over the axis) there was an abundance of metal. The problem is that when one would unload the suspension, such as cresting a hill, the bottom edge of the shock mount would tap the link bulkhead. This may not be a great problem, but rather an annoyance. The issue has been addressed and now the bulkhead has enough clearance for the shock mount to pivot freely without interference.

The new links are being made available to SZ members for more than 100 less than can be found elsewhere. The breakdown is as follows.

180………link

10……….shipping to the contiguous 48 states

10……….overnight(extra……optional)

Payment options are very simple and easy to follow. Due to the fact that unscrupulous people are becoming more and more common, and ruining many payment options for the honest people, it is with great regret that I can only accept one form of payment. That form is a United States postal money order. The payment options are not up for discussion and are final, just as is the price of the link and shipping. Please do not ask me to make an exception.

For peace of mind I am offering a money back guarantee. I have a jig set up and test fit every link before I package them myself for shipping, so I know you will receive your new link in A-1 condition. If for some reason you don’t like the link just send it back in its original unused condition for a refund. You must contact me before doing so. I would need to give you an RMA number.

Please note there is a limited number of these(40) and there are no plans for another batch. This project is too expensive for someone such as myself to try and fund again.

Pics to follow.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Ladies and gentlemen, i know the picture quality is not the greatest. Please bear with me until i can get some better pics for you. I will have to barrow a better camera for that.

Below you will see 2 pics of a dk link on the post office scale. The weight reads 13.5 ounces...pretty good.

Here you will see pics of the new link on the post offic scale. Notice the weight of 12.5 ounces. Nice little imporvement.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

The pics below are the new link from different angles. I know the are fuzzy, but that's the best i could do with the camera i have. Something the pics don't obviously show is that the black link is not as shiny as the red dk link shown above. The reason for that is the new link was left in the acid cleaning solution longer than the dk would have been, thus etching the metal a bit more. Plus the fact that the new links are double anodized means the surface area is a bit more durable yet doesn't shine as bright. The links were anodized with a batch of AR-15 bolt carriers being made for the US gov. and you know those are durable as hell.

If you want to get it to have a really reflective surface you can apply some WD-40 to it after you its been installed. Be sure to apply the WD with a rag.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Full Spectrum

Good job bro. I was totally unsure of this undertaking when you originally mentioned it, but you have done an excellent job.

Hopefully you will still be able to get these later this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official Supplier to Yoshimura Suzuki, Team M4 Monster Energy Suzuki, Celtic Racing, Orient Express, KTM North America, and Patriot Racing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-p
Good job bro. I was totally unsure of this undertaking when you originally mentioned it, but you have done an excellent job.

Hopefully you will still be able to get these later this summer.

Thanks bud. Not sure on later availability. I only did the smallest run i could do, so when they are gone they're gone. The machinist still has 2 blocks left over that i've paid for, but i don't think he likes the idea of setting up all the jigs just to do one or 2. I'm sure he could be pursuaded, but it wouldn't be cheap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Bringing it back to the first page before it drops off the face of the earth.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM

If I have ohlins shock should I still run the link? and if so what changes should I make?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 RC51(The Pitbull) "The Real Duc Hunter"
01 RC51
04 Black GSXR-1000
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
If I have ohlins shock should I still run the link? and if so what changes should I make?

You can still benefit greatly from the link. The only changes you should need to make is reset your rear suspension, then do some minor tweaking on the current shock settings(if already set up properly) for your likeing. Or you can just try and tweak it with current shock setting, but i would suggest starting at square one for the rear.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Gold Sponsor

any idea how that other little project is coming?

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

uuuuuuuuuuuugh This will be the death of me. Not to bore you with my woes, but hears a quick run down. In order to get the links done for a reasonable price i had to make a deal with the machinist to do another job. So i forked out a lot more money than anyone will ever know...only to have him drag his feet on the links and now on the brackets.
Its just one thing after another. Some of it not his fault, and others are just excuses. If the links had been better received, then i wouldn't be so stressed about this. Unfortunately, it looks like i'll be the student of a very expensive lesson.
On a good note though, you will be rewarded for your patience. Thank you for your help. Hopefully i can get some to you soon.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM

Any Links still available?

Varium

Any suspension links still available?
Will they fit an SP1 with Ohlins rear shock?
If so will the current Ohlins spring rate be OK?

Thanks
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Sponsor

Oops, had no idea someone posted in here. To answer your questions....

Yes
Yes
Yes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode