Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for kid's first dirt bike?
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
cheekybloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by union View Post
I couldnt disagree more for a first bike. I have yet to meet one kid that is going out on a full on MX bike like a KTM50 or a KX65 jumping on their first time.

Get a nice CRF50 and build up confidence. Once youre done with that bike you can resell it for close to what you spent on it and then move up to the real deal MX bikes. The last thing you want to do when teaching someone how to ride is to scare them their first time out.
I see what you are saying but disagree the CRF50 is heavy and really doesn't do much for confidence on anything the has ruts and bumps. My youngest was jumping his KTM 50 adventure within 2 months of owning it and found it way too slow and gutless just because a kid starts on a water cooled 50/65 doesn't mean they have to jump it from the start. yea buying a play bike will be good for a little while but you'll soon find yourself needing to upgrade. The KTM, RM, KX aren't that hard to learn on and can grow with the child. I've seen plenty of kids learn on "full on race bikes" as people like to cal them. Further more the 65 can also be fitted with atuo clutches. I had then on 3 of the 65 although if I had to do it again I'd skip fitting one as clutch control isn't that hard to learn. kid are a lot more capable than we give them credit for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome