Speedzilla Forums banner

Has anyone here been caught with a slick in the wet?

4K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  wingnutt 
#1 ·
Have a friend that's just going to give me a set of tires since he's sold his race bike. I'm very likely going to run them or at least the rear. If I get caught in the rain anywhere by chance, will I be able to limp the thing home without slipping all over the place?

#3 ·
I'm aware of the legality. Although, I'm not sure what makes it "highly illegal". It's a felony? lol. I ran race tires on my sumo with good luck, but was never in the rain. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that no, you've never been in the rain on a slick. Which would lead to me asking why you responded in the first place.

#4 ·
slicks are not DOT and although it is not a felony i would assume you could get fined a bunch of dough and depending on the LEO your judgements could be questioned knowing how dangerous it is. you are possibly going to slide down and cause another person a accident and or recklessly endanger others lives so i would say more then a ticket is plausable

WHile i have never been stoopid enough to ride slicks on the street in the rain i felt compelled to try to help you as your question makes little to no responsible sense and i am doubting there are many here who have done this and or would admit they did publically so

take it to the track and trailer it back it is not worth the consequences

a thank you would have sufficed

#5 ·
Thanks for your $.00000000001, I'm looking for folks with experience in this. This tire will be for the track, but I'll be using it on the street as well. Probably won't be using it at all until next season. As for your comments about sliding out, etc, I don't plan on riding the bike if weather is questionable. In dry weather I will have more than enough grip. If I did have the bad luck of being caught in the rain, I'd then ride it much slower home. I'm currently running the DOT Ntec and I'm just not certain a slick is going to be massively different in rain at slow speeds. If it will be, maybe I'll notch it.

#6 ·
Thanks for your $.00000000001, I'm looking for folks with experience in this. This tire will be for the track, but I'll be using it on the street as well. Probably won't be using it at all until next season.

you are not going to get people who have ridden in the rain with slicks answers.

they either crashed or they did not do it for the reasons i mentioned

i have been around sportbikes for a very long time and would have run into posts a few times and every one was don't do it and i crashed but have at it:rolleyes: maybe you will get the eanswer you are looking for

#9 ·
Got caught at Barber on slicks in the rain. Wasn`t a complete down pour, but completely wet. Was tricky but made it to the end of the race. Same goes for rain riding on street, and track. Be smooth, and you should make it home just fine.

One thing to keep in mind is depending on the tire compound and make, slicks usually need heat in them to stick good. Without heat in the tire, it`ll spin up, and cold tear. Hard compounds will need more heat than softer compounds. Had a set Michelin slicks up at Deals Gap once, and it took about half the way though before the tires started working well because it was kinda cool that day. Hope this helps!

#11 ·
That pretty much says it. Once its wet you might as well be riding on ice. Ive had enough wet time on track to know I dont like it. When I say wet I mean the ground has water on it. Not a few drops. Once you start leaning it can go wrong really fast. Even with full rains on it can go wrong quickly but at least you can still drag a knee if youre smooth.

Another problem you might run into is tire life. The odds that you will get them to proper operating temp on the street is pretty low. Tires that like heat dont normally respond well when cold and tear apart. Youll probably end up replacing it fairly quickly.

#10 ·
Thanks man. It's a medium rear. I'd prefer a soft for street riding, but I might just drop the pressure a hair to get em a bit hotter. I really appreciate the input.

#14 · (Edited)
It's the same compound as the ntec I use now, just without the tread. I really like this tire on the street, I ride twisties only though.

Attachments

#13 ·
A lot of people run race take-offs on the street. I have in the past and i will again. they don't last long and can be fun to spin up in the dry. and as long as you are cautious you can ride in the rain with no real issues. I do it and will continue to do it.

and yea some LEO's will say something about it but I have never been ticketd for it. and I have been pulled over with them on there plenty of times.

I will however not run a race take off on the front. rear end slides are a little easier to control with throttle. if the front end is sliding your shit out of luck unless you get a streak of amazing luck and save it. :eek:

#15 ·
A lot of times if you can overcome pucker factor and get on the gas you can save yourself from a front end slide. Our natural instincts are to shave speed, so it's kinda hard to ignore "survival reactions" as keith code calls it. I'd be real cautious about using a worn front tire for sure though! I appreciate all the input guys, again, this board is awesome. Glad to be a member here.

#17 ·
#18 ·
i hear you for sure you are a brave rider for sure( or maybe crazy:D)

I had cold tires once when i first got my 51 and after the front sprocket change:( i had to feather the clutch in second as the road was greasy with oil and wet and in first it just spun:eek:

best to be safe i was just trying to steer you in a safe responsible manner so i will sleep OK tonight the rest is on you

#20 ·
You know akilld- running a race tire on the street- FOR WHAT?? the track tire does hold heat , like a street tire.. so stop and go is out.. you run the track tire lower on tire pressure.. and then the fore mentioned issuses..
Besides that with proper riding skills. you as a novice rider are going to probably have better effect, and feel of the road - on D.O.T. tires...

To answer the original question, Guess that is why -there is RAIN RACE SLICKS

#21 ·
If you feel like giving me some good DOT tires, no problem. Pilot Powers get greasy after 30-40min of hard riding compared to race tires. I've always had great luck with race tires, been running DOT legal ones since 03. The only difference here is no tread. This guy is giving me that set for free, pretty hard to turn that down. I do like the BT-003RS as a DOT tire, I've run them and probably will again, although I think they'd be too soft for the track which is where a lot of my focus will be next season.

#23 ·
I've logged a lot of street miles on slicks, and I've been caught in the rain a bunch, too. It's fun spinning up the rear almost at will, but I've never done it while leaned over. I've never had a problem or scary moment, but I take it easy and make SMOOTH inputs. I also avoid standing water. If the road is just wet, you can cruise all day on slicks. The biggest problem you'll run into, is the wet road will drop the tire's temp.

I swear, some of you Rossi wanna-be's are a bunch of weenies. "Oh noes! I'd NEVER ride on a plugged tire! Mis-matched front/rear's are a NO NO! Slicks on the street?! You're CRAZY!!" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want a set of slicks for my year round set of tires, but I'll jump on a free set anytime. Keep 'em hot, avoid standing water, and run 'em till they're toast...

#29 ·
As an instructor I have been caught out on slicks in the wet more times than I can possibly count.

It sucks, but they are manageable as long as they have been scrubbed in prior to getting on the wet surface and that you aren't trying to ride at a pace you would ride on wet weather tires in standing water. If they aren't scrubbed first then you are SOL. Same thing is true with Pilot Power Street Tires though too. I use Pilot Powers for Intermediate wet weather tires when I know it is going to rain, but if they aren't scrubbed properly before they get wet they are like riding on greased owl shit.

Basically if you are going to make the move to slicks on your trackbike you should have the financial ability to afford to have a spare set of wet weather tires be it DOT street tires or full wet race tires mounted trackside or have spare wheels ready to go for that wet weather contingency.

#30 ·
Yes, I have tried slicks on the street. Why? because I was stupid and wanted to look like a "racer" when I parked. Would I do it now? No, I try to actually ENHANCE the ability of the bikes I ride, and considering you have the proverbial palm print of grip between you and tears, I'd re-think the slicks thing my friend. If you are out riding yer DOT tires on the street, you should be; A. Dead B. Getting paid to ride (before "A" occurs...) Semper Fi! -Rocky- (coming from someone with a "worn" Power One currently on the rear....)

#31 ·
My using race tires has nothing to do with how I want to look. Those of you saying that a race tire is not as good as a DOT tire on the street don't ride as hard as I am, it's that simple. I'm not some rossi wannabe, I don't think I'm that fast at all. But I have no problem rolling up the edges of my race tires on the street. I think a lot of it has to do with region, but around here many people have more than enough ability to use race tires on the road. There are tons of fast guys, it takes more than just being fast to deserve being paid as a motorcycle racer. Again, I've been using DOT legal tires with IDENTICAL compounds as slicks with no tread.. in the dry I've never had a single issue after adequate warmup. The slick I'm about to run is the exact same tire I'm using now, the only difference is the one I'm using now has a little tread, which should only marginally help wet weather performance.
http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/d211gp/
http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/slicks/

#33 ·
Why? Because I bought this motorcycle with the intentions of riding it as it was designed to be ridden and I don't have the funds to ride at the track every day. It's pretty simple. As for me being a liability, been riding like this for years and have had at least 5 bikes I've ridden this way on the street, no problems whatsoever. Been running race tires since 2003. I'm sorry that you don't have the ability to do the things being discussed with relative safety. Perhaps you should leave this conversation to the big boys, your input and lack of knowledge on the subject has been duly noted.

#34 ·
i have forgotten more about riding then you will ever know:rolleyes:

i could care les how many bikes you have had or that you ride to the bikes limit, you still sound like a danger to others and you are bad for the sport

i can whip your arse without rolling the bike to the very edge of its limit and your posts are showing your lack of maturity

you go on to now say you can't afford track days but your post was on if you get caught in the rain returning from a track day you can't afford LOL sounds more like you are so good on the street you wonder if the slicks will be ok when you are showing all of us noraml riders your mad skilz on the strret with slicks LMAO

good luck be safe

#35 ·
LOL, sure sure buddy. A bold and clearly baseless statement as you have no knowledge of my ability. I'm sure you're the fastest squid in jersey. Feel free to follow through with that empty promise next time you're in the NC or Deals Gap area. Lets see some trackday or even street riding photos of you on your bike. Any bike. No? Oh, ok, thought not.

#39 ·
Why the negativity? Or even the response? I posted up looking for advice and half of the posts here are from people no experience with the topic, or people terrified of riding aggressively. Additionally, I prefer to wear a one piece and per my original post, I try to avoid the rain if at all possible. Thanks for your suggestion though fella! Maybe you should see about getting your medicinal marijuana card, might help you deal with that unneeded anger.

#41 ·
Dude, just hang it up. If I were running at the edge of my bike, I'd 1. be massively faster, 2. be wrecking. I never push myself, I ride at my own pace. I've ridden with a few people from this board who can vouch for this. Just because you're a slow person, horrified at the mere possibility of deleting a chicken strip, don't project that lack of confidence and ability onto me. Again, I've been doing this for 8+ years without wrecking or hurting anyone including myself, so what is your problem? Stop being the bitter troll you desperately claim not to be. I don't go out and race on the street, I ride at a pace I feel comfortable with. I don't care if you're faster than me. I'm out to enjoy my motorcycle.

#42 ·
Dude, just hang it up. If I were running at the edge of my bike, I'd 1. be massively faster, 2. be wrecking. I never push myself, I ride at my own pace. I've ridden with a few people from this board who can vouch for this. Just because you're a slow person, horrified at the mere possibility of deleting a chicken strip, don't project that lack of confidence and ability onto me. Again, I've been doing this for 8+ years without wrecking or hurting anyone including myselfYET, so what is your problem? Stop being the bitter troll you desperately claim not to be. I don't go out and race on the street, I ride at a pace I feel comfortable with.
the way you talk it is only a matter of time b4 you end of fooked, trust me

you young guns think you have it all sorted out and you justify it by saying you have references and telling how much of this and that and really it won't change you sound like you ride dangerously. i would never ride with anybody like you. i have picked too many of you up and held you while you screamed like a wench waiting for the ambulance to come

#45 ·
No one is angry here, except maybe you?

You asked if you will have problems. You got several answers steering you away from doing it, but you don't like the response. So now you're defensive and turning it into a dick measuring mud slinging contest.

So rag away on Mr. Grn or whoever else posts up and be sure to get the last word in because you're a pro.

#46 ·
I just don't accept advice from people without experience. The riders here who have had to deal with riding race tires in the rain adequately answered me. The ones who haven't such as yourself and mrgrn, offered worthless advice because it's based purely on uneducated fear. Why would I ever consider advice from someone without experience on the subject over someone who's had experience? As for me ragging on mrgrn, anyone here who's seen the guy operate knows he's a troll who sells shoddy products.

I won't bother posting images of ultra wavy carbon weave, anyone can find that stuff.

#48 ·
If your experience riding is anything like your experience in building carbon fiber products, I'll avoid your advice at all costs. OK, really I'm done here. I feel like my question has been answered. Thanks for the help, those who provided it.

#51 ·
Sounds like it won't be much different than the tires I'm using now, which are no fun in the rain, but rideable. I'll try them out and see how it goes. Hard for me to pass up on a great tire for free. I'll likely keep my DOT Ntec front and run the "superbike" ntec rear, saving the front for track use. I really do appreciate the input from those with experience, this board is such a great resource.

#52 ·
One thing to always keep in mind, a slick’s traction capabilities varies on different types of pavement that is wet. A lot of the newer surfaces on circuits have excellent grip characteristics when wet. My local track, the grip with slicks on wet pavement is very good, not talking about standing water, but wet. Other tracks you have to tiptoe around with slicks, just to get back to the pits when it’s wet. Just saying, most street surfaces don’t have the polymer-modified binders that track surfaces have, so more caution must be taken. My 2cents, for what its worth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.