Speedzilla Forums banner

Aprilia SXV or Husky 610?

11K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  TLR67 
#1 ·
I've been looking into the supermoto scene for a couple months now and Im just trying to see which bike is the one to go with. I want to stick with the twin because I currently have an 2000 Rc51 and just love the power of the twins. I found alot of info on the Husky's but really nothing on the Aprilia's. Anyone got any feed back on the two compared or just the aprilia in general? Thanks guys

#2 ·
well after doing a little research on my own on the aprilia, I found that it sounds like alot of people have problems and alot of maintenance. The 610 although a little less powerful then the 5.5 still is a better street bike and more reliable. Not really what I wanted to hear cause that Aprilia looks like one bad ass bike! But the Husky is still pretty sexy too :rockon I wish honda would come out with a thumper motard

#18 ·
Aprillia vs Husky

Just go out and buy a carburated Husky 610sm the bike rocks. The Aprilia will need a motor reseal after a few miles and new rings and other motor parts on a regular basis. Check out all the Aprilia sites the SVX needs a pit crew and lost a cash to keep going. The Husky is a bullet proof bike made to last. Pre fuel injected LC4 KTM SM bikes are good as well. The bigger Hyper Motard and Duroso type the twin cylinders are not real motards too heavy.

#3 ·
The SXV is a dedicated race bike that is targeted to racers... people who ride hard and expect to tear down their bikes regularly, irrespective of brand. That being said, the SXV 550 (far more so than the 450) has had some teething issues that have virtually all been addressed (e.g., bad case sealant) and the bike is much better in terms of reliability but being a race bike, requires effort to keep it in race winning form.

The people who own them and love them are serious racers/track day people who take it out and expect to be standing on a podium for cash (or pie).

For example: Zack Chapman rode the AB-1 Motorsports/ Interstate Cycle Aprilia 550 to a convincing 5.9 second win over the 650 and 1000 twins in the WERA Las Vegas National Lightweight Twins Superbike Expert Race! Not bad for a motard...

#6 ·
I was at a dealership talking about trading one of my bikes for an sxv450. The saleperson pulled me aside and said "those things are junk, if you want a supermoto, get a ktm" This dealer does not sell ktm. I am sure he was speaking to there durability and not their performance.

#7 ·
I also have a '00 RC51, plus an '06 SM610 and a Highland 950 Motard. The 51 and 610 are keepers. The Highland would be my favorite if I could get the injection right, which I have been unable to do, so it's for sale.

About the KTM, I had an LC4 and it vibrated so much it was no fun, as did my friends LC4. I've heard the new 690 is smoother. Anyway, the vibration of the 610 is tolerable enough that I took it on a long trip, whereas 30 minutes on the KTM was enough.

#9 · (Edited)
#17 ·
I hope you're not in the minority on that. My Highland 950 Motard weighs 394 pounds with over 5 gallons of gas on board, heavy by motard standards, but lighter than anything else with this much displacement, and a blast to ride. It's certainly no competition bike, though. All the larger displacement motards, like my SM610, are just streetbikes with good suspension, which makes for a great streetbike.

#20 ·
Having a SXV and riding a Husky they are miles apart performance wise... If you get a SXV Make sure you have a 2008 engine. I had a 2007 and had the first year issues that came with the bike... Bad sealant in the cases.. Stator bolts loosesning ect.. It never blew up because I caught the water in the oil quick however I was able to get a 2008 engine in it before I sold it... By far the funnest bike I have rode in my life... However its like a Ferrari... Fun to drive but a pain to work on.. With that said I went back to Japan and got another GSX-R. I will say this you CANT compare this bike with any Husky, KTM or DRZ... The V-Twin puts it in a class of its own and with 75 HP on a 250Lb machine well... enough said...

Here are some pics of mine while I had it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.