Ill chime in on this issue saying that ive taken out the lash gears from the cams only and i havent had an issue yet. Its been a year now with them removed and have done 7 track days and alot of spirited riding with no problem, and ive riden her hard. My concern when doing this mod was that reliability as ive heard good and bad things for this mod. So i ended up replacing all the bolts that i took out with all the gaskets as well. The reason why i replaced all the bolts is that with time bolts happend to strech IMO. I used molylube (assembly lube) as i put things back together and tourqued everything back to spec as per what the manual said.