Speedzilla Forums banner

2008 Yamaha Supermoto?

26K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  nedragr 
#1 ·
This was from a Japanese Motorcycle show. Will it make it to America - doubt it - but it's still cool

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Photochop!:p

OK, with that out of the way. Yes this would be a good thing, in 450 size. Of all the high strung modern 4 strokes the Yamaha 5 valver is one of the most proven motors.

#5 ·
I'd trade my R1 for a 450 version without hesitation. Been waiting for a reliable, affordable Sumo that has more than 30hp. Hope we get it.

#6 ·
There are a lot of turnkey supermoto bikes these days that put out nice power for a single

Husky 610
Husky 510
Husky 450
KTM EXC 525: Just install 17" wheels
KTM 690 LC4
BMW 650 Moto

Suzuki DRZ with a big bore kit

All street legal machines

There has been talke that Honda might have a street supermoto bike out in 2008. Probably 650cc single with aluminum frame. But just a rumor

#7 ·
There has been talke that Honda might have a street supermoto bike out in 2008. Probably 650cc single with aluminum frame. But just a rumor
You mean a development of the FMX650 from their Euro market?

#8 ·
No - I don't think we are talking about the FMX. I have seen one down at Honda a year or so ago and they were riding the bike to see how to worked.
Honda is well aware that the US market would not buy that bike. This is why they never brought it to the US.

If the bike does happen, it will probably be an all-new machine to replace the XR650L and possibly the XR650R. It might come as as supermoto or an off-road bike

But just a guess - 2008-2009?

#9 ·
Man I have a hard time getting used to seeing dirtbikes with no kick start lever on them. My GF's dad bought an XT 225 and that POS didn't have a kicker on it either. He took it back and had one installed after the battery kept dying on him.

Some days it seemed like getting it restarted after dumping it was half the battle. Won't be the same with the magic button.

#12 ·
If you say so. I have seen several SMC's and a lot of SMR's bottom ends fail, as well as a Husky SMR and a DRZ. My Berg is fine and I road raced it all last year, along with the winter supermoto series, and a lot of track days at the kart track and road courses. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it every day if I rode on the street.

As for the Yamaha, I like the 250 street bike, but would be drooling over a 450! I hope Yamaha does it and one-ups Suzuki and their DRZ.

#14 ·
Yeah, I don't understand a 250 in the American market. Hopefully they pop for the 450 too. Either way it's still a good sign. More CHOICES! :rockon:woot:

#15 ·
This bike would be perfect for adults to learn to ride, as well as cheap on gas and insurance for the casual owner/commuter.

A little pricey compared to streetbikes, but with another set of wheels you could have a dirt bike too for perhaps a thousand bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.