Speedzilla Forums banner

moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 months of moderation - your thoughts

8K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  RAZR51 
#1 ·
Hey all,

it´s been roughly 3 months of having me as a moderator on here. There has been quite a lot of arguing going on, some people went on a short vacation, others on a longer one. Surely some people are not happy with how it´s going right now, others might be.

I´d like your honest opinion right here, right now.

What do you think, should this forum stay moderated or would you rather like to go on without?

#2 · (Edited)
Nobody else seems to be commenting here Ben, so I will take a shot. I think that a lot of the things you have done are positive but I also feel that you have been a little too intrusive as well. I want to make this clear that this is not a bash against you at all. The threadjacking (especially by a certain individual) is almost nonexistent now. This is good! A lot of the banter between members is gone too, which I don't think is a good thing... I know that sounds funny but it is part of what makes Speedzilla, Speedzilla and an unfortunate byproduct is that activity here is wanning. Maybe a solution is to dial it back a little and let the "Wild West" nature of the board come back again. It is hard and I respect the fact that you are trying to do something but it is going to be a work in progress. I don't want to see this site develop into a "group think" site like another popular board which will remain nameless.

Matthew

#3 ·
I think the site has improved 1000%

the name calling and bashing everythread was driving away more people then it saved. the people who don't like the site now i suspect are the ones who now can't misbehave and act like shite and ruin the forum IMO. I am all for character(lord knows i have plenty) but being able to come on threads and and not see trollish drivel, name calling and persoanl attacks every post and every thread is peaceful and making the site better.

With moderation alot of the pains in the arse left or whatever and everybody else now has to be nice and get along, well done Ben been about time two years ago.

IMHO if a site has to have people attacking and bashing others to be a "good site" then the old zilla was the best site but again IMO this site was best because it had such diversity among its members not because of the trolls. I have learned so much from this site in over 10 years from all kinds of people. I have seen so many come and go and actully made a few friends along the way and none of that came from the supposed playful bash banter some here think made the site what it was. times globally are tough for all and the bike marketis suffering. now is the time to embrace the sport we love and its owners as friends and fellows supporters of the sport, not bash the crap out of each other.

#5 ·
I've seen the improvement on the site as a whole and am really glad it's received some much-needed moderation. The site does have a "Wild West" reputation, which is fine, but when taken to the extreme, can be a real waste of time.

I know several very competent, experienced and wise RC51 owners, builders and enthusiasts who have unfortunately chosen to not visit the board because of the silliness and garbage that goes on in some threads. Name calling, off-topic pissing contests, "whose d*ck is bigger" measurements and real testaments to people's true character were all commonplace. I'm happy to see some of this cleaned up. Healthy discussions and appropriate disagreements are great ways to get all perspectives. It's impossible (and unhealthy) to live without some conflict.

I'm wondering what happened to the "deleting threads" thread. As an interesting portion of social media moderation and reputation management, I'm curious to see how that project is coming and where that stands. Anyone with something to hide or worry about would surely not want threads to survive in perpetuity.

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments and the suggestions. I appreciate you people being positive and critical.

sqd8r: did you mean to PM me?

bensexcessbikes: I can´t comment on the RC51 section as I don´t read the threads in there. I believe there already are mods for that section, no?

@mattmansell:
I don't want to see this site develop into a "group think" site like another popular board which will remain nameless.
Me neither, but - and that´s a big but - the tone sets the music. Having an opinion and voicing it is perfect. Violating other members virtually though is not. I hope the discussions will continue to be more respectful and that we can keep the diversity of our community.

#11 ·
I abandoned this site about a year or so ago. I re-visited from time-to-time only to see it going from very bad to very worse.

Then, 2 months ago, I see a moderator. WTF? And then, the reasons I stopped visiting started to disappear.

To answer your question, I think you're doing a great job of balancing, Ben.

Keep it up.

#14 ·
i really just wish that when i put someone on ignore, i won't ever have to see what has dribbled out of their mouth in someones quote...
other than that i think the site is a little better off with your presence.
I have been told so on many occasions, but I can´t change the forums software as I am not the site owner. I fell your pain though ;) Shoot me a pm regarding who you´re referring to please.

Hi Ben,

Not sure. If there are, I am unaware of who they are and their presence.
I am speaking to Waldo currently in order to sort this out. I believe he is the one in charge for the RC51 subforums. I have thought about getting one more user to help us out with the RC51 section. If you or anyone else has a suggestion, please PM me.

#15 ·
I think you have done a pretty decent job overall, but considering what a forgotten sh!t hole the site had become it's not like you could have made it any worse even if you tried so anything would have been an improvement regardless.

Aside from that there sure is a lot of nut-huggin in this thread so you must be strokin' the shaft just right at some point. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
I think Matt and LDH have it about right. there are some trouble makers still, but at least they are clever enough to stay semi on topic with the jacking. I have seen more people vanish since this sight was taken over by VS than because of the new moderation, however; I think perhaps it has been a little heavy handed in the interest of protecting some that may in fact be the instigators of the shit slinging. I kinda miss being able to call someone out for being an asshole. in this internet thing that has become so sanitized on most forums I think calling somebody out is actually a valuable internet resource that has seemed to vanish in thin air time and time again. so instead of posting such a binary poll, perhaps another option might be the happy medium. yes there have been positive changes, but the character of this place I think has, I'm afraid; been irreversibly changed. and that is a shame.

#18 ·
. I kinda miss being able to call someone out for being an asshole. in this internet thing that has become so sanitized on most forums I think calling somebody out is actually a valuable internet resource that has seemed to vanish in thin air time and time again.
i think this is a way of saying you are mad you can't ramble on and act like a fool guised as resource.

put a seller feedback area to make your claim and limit it to the buyer or seller and not pages of anger fed drivel like most other forums.

This site was a melting pot of anger and drivel. All the "calling somenbody out" and internet resourse sounds more like come here and post anything that would get you banned anywhere else, myself included. ZIlla became the wild west and how that can be taken as character is beyond me.

If people have gripes PM the mods as anywhere else or state your beef and then move on it makes for a better vibe and flow and while that is no fun for the people looking to call people out it does make for better and more valuable motorcycle talk. This forum was a soap opera and lost all of it motorcyle value and that is a shame.

I think the new vibe should be more focused on bikes instead of bikers

#17 ·
This was my first forum and came here because I bought a trashed RC51 and not a clue about about the bike, but for some reason I had always wanted one...I no longer own my RC51 but my love for the bike will land me another one or two later down the road for sure. I only own a DRZ as of now and the SuMo section doesnt get a lot of hits and never really did.

But that doesn't matter. I love motorcycles and this is a two-wheeled forum and I'll contiue to come here for as long as this place is around. This place has formed my view on bikes and I have learned so much from this place its unreal. My visits here have slimmed down drastically since parting ways with my RC.

In my 4+ years of being here (not very long compaired to a lot of folks here) I have noticed a lot of things change. Saw a lot of knowlageable people leave, melt downs, fighting, ADs!!! (Hate the ads), SPAM!, Moderators, 5K users on-line? (where did they all come from?)

This place was a huge part of my life...instead of watching TV I'd just jump on zilla. You come to know people by a handle, screen name what ever you want to call it... and you know their bikes, where they are from, what they do, when someone has a child, or even passes away. Sure there is a few members that annoy me but thats speedzilla. I always get a good laugh and I pass on a lot of things to my friends that aren't into motorcycles as much as me. I have lost touch with whats going on in this place I call my "home page"

I never spoke out and only offered what I could when I could, I'm a lurker for sure :D but it's hard to put in a word becuase most of the time I'm to late or there is someone that could explain it better than me and def. knows more than me.

Yes I'm ranting...but to get to my point I miss the old speedzilla and I miss my RC51 haha. But i'll still come here regardless and pick through what sounds interesting so do as you please, I'll be here for awhile!

And one more thing...Johnyisthedevil made a thread about a "projects" section...That would be great! I love seeing people build things and following along so +1 to that!

#22 ·
REAL? The fact that every time Mark posts Jami has to bash him. That is not REAL. That is a pain in the ass to have to deal with. I am sick and tired of both of there shit. I am all for a section where they can have it out, OH WAIT we have that it is called the WAR ROOM and PM. The two of them screw up great thread with their petty shit. We get it, Jami does not like Marks work.

#24 ·
Now the joke is you trying to play all innocent & sincere. You've taken more pot shots at people than anyone else on any forum I have ever been too then you whine like a little bitch when it comes back on you. You blatantly lie and talk shit about things you have no personal knowledge of and make false accusations with no credible means of backing them up whatsoever then when someone posts a factual statement and provides a link to a thread where you are doing these things you beg & plead the admins to remove the threads because you are being "targeted". :rolleyes:

#26 · (Edited)
Now the joke is you trying to play all innocent & sincere. You've taken more pot shots at people than anyone else on any forum I have ever been too then you whine like a little bitch when it comes back on you. You blatantly lie and talk shit about things you have no personal knowledge of and make false accusations with no credible means of backing them up whatsoever then when someone posts a factual statement and provides a link to a thread where you are doing these things you beg & plead the admins to remove the threads because you are being "targeted". :rolleyes:

Mike,

you have been the biggest arsehat on the net. i don't think i have met one person ever who has offended more people then you. you work for dan so you get the feeby but without his help and backing you woud be where?

you are jaines little but buddy and as far as i know the only person on here that does not have him on ignore

you are not happy getting yourself banned for your tude you even got dan banned by using his screen name on the BMW forum and continue to lie blatatly and say you did not while you know, i know it was not dans posts and you call me out:rolleyes:

again your motives in attacking me are clear but sad

My suggestion to you as well as to jamie is i leave you alone and you leave me alone LOL

i have no dealings with you or him and i offer you no harm so there is no real legit reason to harp on me every post because you have some deep seeded issue. I keep offering more parts and more work while gaining more experience and trying to learn and grow. I know it bothers you i am not gone or that i have a 99% positive feedback but come on, let go and move on and try to contribute to the site instead of making it some circus, you have your rogue

#31 ·
The bottom line is that MrGrn wants to curtail posting in threads regarding his products where someone may have an issue with it. That is to his benefit and to the forum's detriment. He has a long history of having negative threads deleted by either begging or trading parts orders to have the removed. I'm not bashing him, I'm telling you WHY he wants the forum to change in his favor. If he can keep having the negative threads deleted, he can then continue to go around telling people how he has this high approval rating and very few complaints.:rolleyes:

I will give him credit, he's VERY good at convincing/bribing mods or forum owners to remove negative feedback about him. That is why he isn't welcome on Rogue.:D

#33 ·
It's not the fact you made one customer unhappy with his filler panel. No product line is 100% perfect nor would I ever expect it to be. It is the constant barrage of people that chime in about how terrible you are to deal with and how the original poster got what he deserved for even dealing with you that is interesting. Normal business people do not get that kind of a reputation to lug around. Normal business people do not have people following them around from forum to forum to chide them as you claim is done to you on a regular basis.

Have you ever stopped to consider why these things happen to you and seemingly you alone?

#34 · (Edited)
It's not the fact you made one customer unhappy with his filler panel. No product line is 100% perfect nor would I ever expect it to be. It is the constant barrage of people that chime in about how terrible you are to deal with and how the original poster got what he deserved for even dealing with you that is interesting. Normal business people do not get that kind of a reputation to lug around. Normal business people do not have people following them around from forum to forum to chide them as you claim is done to you on a regular basis.

Have you ever stopped to consider why these things happen to you and seemingly you alone?
because i was(still can be) a asshate before i made parts Mike:D

I had no idea i would ever take up composites, welding, and now i am a machinest too. I pissed off alot of people with normal banter and acted like nobody would know who i was nor did i care. I then decided to give back and try to increase my contribution to the sport i love and it has been tough to shed that now that i am selling things Mike.

If you look at the threads you mention or others the same epople saying i told you so have NEVER bought anything from me, weird huh. I get rob saying how he is pissed i sent him a free carbon flapper 5 years ago and it was not good enough and now i have to pay or the trolls that live for blood and hide behind the keyboard. thse threads and comments are not from bitter customers with unresolved issues, they are just having that entertainment value who knows. I have had threads here from good custome3rs that get run off the site because only negative mrgrn posts are allowed:rolleyes:

I am all for owning up and i will be the first to say i am sorry if it is right but i also am not going to roll over either. I make parts to have fun and make a few non wife money for my bikes and guns. I am not here to steal peoples money or scam them for fuggin $20. That filler panel was mint and cost $30 from $75 to down under as a example and then clearcoate and materisla to make and labor, how much did i really scam him for, $5 come on. I get a few a year that are impossible and i am learting on how to do better but 100% i am not. I used to value your opinion and i respected your work on the 51 Mike and i would have thought if you really were genuine you woudl have PMed a word of advise or something not some remember 3 years ago that serves no purpose. I am not going to stop making parts or expanding or go away so what is the popint of the hatchet?

Considering you and i have little to no dealings nor do most of the trolls you think are my customer base i am still baffled as to your need to keep the net real uless it is just spite or boredom? you want to really help try offering some words of advise to a fellow enthusiast and maker of things instead of trying to keep my past as some ball and chain

I have more then paid my dues for my mouth and mistakes and forged ahead i suggest we all move along and try to get back to mororcycling i will limit my scamming to a minimum J/k

#36 ·
Wow, this is great. Back to business as usual.
Green pretending the last 5 or more years never happened. LDH not letting it slide. Still the best. Got to admit I do miss Fester, but what the hell.

Of course this thread will now suffer the justice of moderation so I hope I'm in before the lock down.

Looks like the site has changed also. Gotten smaller. How soon before the massive amounts of ads and fees show up?

#37 ·
Looks like the site has changed also. Gotten smaller. How soon before the massive amounts of ads and fees show up?
VS has their bots viewing the site lately to pump up traffic and therefore raise advertising fees. Or maybe there are over 1000 people viewing the street and track forum tonight?:rolleyes:

#40 ·
If it is going to be that good for ten days, why not make it permanent? :D

I think you should start the bannings "survivor" style. Once a month hold a poll of who should take a month long vacation from the forum. Would probably keep people from filling the forum with nonsense. It would be entertaining at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.