3 months of moderation - your thoughts - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion > Zilla news, announcements.

View Poll Results: moderation
yes itīs a good thing, keep it 16 66.67%
no thanks, we can do without it 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
-_-

Default 3 months of moderation - your thoughts

Hey all,

itīs been roughly 3 months of having me as a moderator on here. There has been quite a lot of arguing going on, some people went on a short vacation, others on a longer one. Surely some people are not happy with how itīs going right now, others might be.

Iīd like your honest opinion right here, right now.

What do you think, should this forum stay moderated or would you rather like to go on without?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Street and Track Moderator

Nobody else seems to be commenting here Ben, so I will take a shot. I think that a lot of the things you have done are positive but I also feel that you have been a little too intrusive as well. I want to make this clear that this is not a bash against you at all. The threadjacking (especially by a certain individual) is almost nonexistent now. This is good! A lot of the banter between members is gone too, which I don't think is a good thing... I know that sounds funny but it is part of what makes Speedzilla, Speedzilla and an unfortunate byproduct is that activity here is wanning. Maybe a solution is to dial it back a little and let the "Wild West" nature of the board come back again. It is hard and I respect the fact that you are trying to do something but it is going to be a work in progress. I don't want to see this site develop into a "group think" site like another popular board which will remain nameless.

Matthew
CCS #33
CQC Motorsports
2011 CCS Midwest Rookies Cup GTO #1

Last edited by mattmansell; 02-18-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Gold Sponsor

I think the site has improved 1000%

the name calling and bashing everythread was driving away more people then it saved. the people who don't like the site now i suspect are the ones who now can't misbehave and act like shite and ruin the forum IMO. I am all for character(lord knows i have plenty) but being able to come on threads and and not see trollish drivel, name calling and persoanl attacks every post and every thread is peaceful and making the site better.

With moderation alot of the pains in the arse left or whatever and everybody else now has to be nice and get along, well done Ben been about time two years ago.

IMHO if a site has to have people attacking and bashing others to be a "good site" then the old zilla was the best site but again IMO this site was best because it had such diversity among its members not because of the trolls. I have learned so much from this site in over 10 years from all kinds of people. I have seen so many come and go and actully made a few friends along the way and none of that came from the supposed playful bash banter some here think made the site what it was. times globally are tough for all and the bike marketis suffering. now is the time to embrace the sport we love and its owners as friends and fellows supporters of the sport, not bash the crap out of each other.

www.carbonpartz.net
www.blackdragonexhaust.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA
I've never bought parts from you mrgrn. I never will.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Panigaliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
I think the site has improved 1000%

the name calling and bashing everythread was driving away more people then it saved. the people who don't like the site now i suspect are the ones who now can't misbehave and act like shite and ruin the forum IMO. I am all for character(lord knows i have plenty) but being able to come on threads and and not see trollish drivel, name calling and persoanl attacks every post and every thread is peaceful and making the site better.

With moderation alot of the pains in the arse left or whatever and everybody else now has to be nice and get along, well done Ben been about time two years ago.

IMHO if a site has to have people attacking and bashing others to be a "good site" then the old zilla was the best site but again IMO this site was best because it had such diversity among its members not because of the trolls. I have learned so much from this site in over 10 years from all kinds of people. I have seen so many come and go and actully made a few friends along the way and none of that came from the supposed playful bash banter some here think made the site what it was. times globally are tough for all and the bike marketis suffering. now is the time to embrace the sport we love and its owners as friends and fellows supporters of the sport, not bash the crap out of each other.
Marge commenting on civility. Holy alternate universe Batman!

Last edited by sburns2421; 02-19-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Big Thymer

I've seen the improvement on the site as a whole and am really glad it's received some much-needed moderation. The site does have a "Wild West" reputation, which is fine, but when taken to the extreme, can be a real waste of time.

I know several very competent, experienced and wise RC51 owners, builders and enthusiasts who have unfortunately chosen to not visit the board because of the silliness and garbage that goes on in some threads. Name calling, off-topic pissing contests, "whose d*ck is bigger" measurements and real testaments to people's true character were all commonplace. I'm happy to see some of this cleaned up. Healthy discussions and appropriate disagreements are great ways to get all perspectives. It's impossible (and unhealthy) to live without some conflict.

I'm wondering what happened to the "deleting threads" thread. As an interesting portion of social media moderation and reputation management, I'm curious to see how that project is coming and where that stands. Anyone with something to hide or worry about would surely not want threads to survive in perpetuity.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Gold Sponsor

Deleting Threads

here you go

www.carbonpartz.net

Quote:
Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 AM

is that thread abut the sweediish shooting still floating around
i cant belive that was not deleted from the start some sick puppys on ere
Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Currently Festering

Huge improvement, thx Ben. PM sent as well.

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
Marge commenting on civility. Holy alternate universe Batman!

thank you Burns, i accept your compliment

be amazed at how civil i like to be when i am not attcked for no reason

www.carbonpartz.net

Quote:
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
-_-

Thanks for the comments and the suggestions. I appreciate you people being positive and critical.

sqd8r: did you mean to PM me?

bensexcessbikes: I canīt comment on the RC51 section as I donīt read the threads in there. I believe there already are mods for that section, no?

@mattmansell:
Quote:
I don't want to see this site develop into a "group think" site like another popular board which will remain nameless.
Me neither, but - and thatīs a big but - the tone sets the music. Having an opinion and voicing it is perfect. Violating other members virtually though is not. I hope the discussions will continue to be more respectful and that we can keep the diversity of our community.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Can Afford To Be Critical

I abandoned this site about a year or so ago. I re-visited from time-to-time only to see it going from very bad to very worse.

Then, 2 months ago, I see a moderator. WTF? And then, the reasons I stopped visiting started to disappear.

To answer your question, I think you're doing a great job of balancing, Ben.

Keep it up.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Ignore

i really just wish that when i put someone on ignore, i won't ever have to see what has dribbled out of their mouth in someones quote...
other than that i think the site is a little better off with your presence.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Big Thymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben710 View Post

bensexcessbikes: I canīt comment on the RC51 section as I donīt read the threads in there. I believe there already are mods for that section, no?
Hi Ben,

Not sure. If there are, I am unaware of who they are and their presence.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuGR View Post
i really just wish that when i put someone on ignore, i won't ever have to see what has dribbled out of their mouth in someones quote...
other than that i think the site is a little better off with your presence.
I have been told so on many occasions, but I canīt change the forums software as I am not the site owner. I fell your pain though Shoot me a pm regarding who youīre referring to please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensexcessbikes View Post
Hi Ben,

Not sure. If there are, I am unaware of who they are and their presence.
I am speaking to Waldo currently in order to sort this out. I believe he is the one in charge for the RC51 subforums. I have thought about getting one more user to help us out with the RC51 section. If you or anyone else has a suggestion, please PM me.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH

I think you have done a pretty decent job overall, but considering what a forgotten sh!t hole the site had become it's not like you could have made it any worse even if you tried so anything would have been an improvement regardless.

Aside from that there sure is a lot of nut-huggin in this thread so you must be strokin' the shaft just right at some point.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil

I think Matt and LDH have it about right. there are some trouble makers still, but at least they are clever enough to stay semi on topic with the jacking. I have seen more people vanish since this sight was taken over by VS than because of the new moderation, however; I think perhaps it has been a little heavy handed in the interest of protecting some that may in fact be the instigators of the shit slinging. I kinda miss being able to call someone out for being an asshole. in this internet thing that has become so sanitized on most forums I think calling somebody out is actually a valuable internet resource that has seemed to vanish in thin air time and time again. so instead of posting such a binary poll, perhaps another option might be the happy medium. yes there have been positive changes, but the character of this place I think has, I'm afraid; been irreversibly changed. and that is a shame.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 AM

This was my first forum and came here because I bought a trashed RC51 and not a clue about about the bike, but for some reason I had always wanted one...I no longer own my RC51 but my love for the bike will land me another one or two later down the road for sure. I only own a DRZ as of now and the SuMo section doesnt get a lot of hits and never really did.

But that doesn't matter. I love motorcycles and this is a two-wheeled forum and I'll contiue to come here for as long as this place is around. This place has formed my view on bikes and I have learned so much from this place its unreal. My visits here have slimmed down drastically since parting ways with my RC.

In my 4+ years of being here (not very long compaired to a lot of folks here) I have noticed a lot of things change. Saw a lot of knowlageable people leave, melt downs, fighting, ADs!!! (Hate the ads), SPAM!, Moderators, 5K users on-line? (where did they all come from?)

This place was a huge part of my life...instead of watching TV I'd just jump on zilla. You come to know people by a handle, screen name what ever you want to call it... and you know their bikes, where they are from, what they do, when someone has a child, or even passes away. Sure there is a few members that annoy me but thats speedzilla. I always get a good laugh and I pass on a lot of things to my friends that aren't into motorcycles as much as me. I have lost touch with whats going on in this place I call my "home page"

I never spoke out and only offered what I could when I could, I'm a lurker for sure but it's hard to put in a word becuase most of the time I'm to late or there is someone that could explain it better than me and def. knows more than me.

Yes I'm ranting...but to get to my point I miss the old speedzilla and I miss my RC51 haha. But i'll still come here regardless and pick through what sounds interesting so do as you please, I'll be here for awhile!

And one more thing...Johnyisthedevil made a thread about a "projects" section...That would be great! I love seeing people build things and following along so +1 to that!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
. I kinda miss being able to call someone out for being an asshole. in this internet thing that has become so sanitized on most forums I think calling somebody out is actually a valuable internet resource that has seemed to vanish in thin air time and time again.
i think this is a way of saying you are mad you can't ramble on and act like a fool guised as resource.

put a seller feedback area to make your claim and limit it to the buyer or seller and not pages of anger fed drivel like most other forums.

This site was a melting pot of anger and drivel. All the "calling somenbody out" and internet resourse sounds more like come here and post anything that would get you banned anywhere else, myself included. ZIlla became the wild west and how that can be taken as character is beyond me.

If people have gripes PM the mods as anywhere else or state your beef and then move on it makes for a better vibe and flow and while that is no fun for the people looking to call people out it does make for better and more valuable motorcycle talk. This forum was a soap opera and lost all of it motorcyle value and that is a shame.

I think the new vibe should be more focused on bikes instead of bikers

www.carbonpartz.net

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
i think this is a way of saying you are mad you can't ramble on and act like a fool guised as resource.

put a seller feedback area to make your claim and limit it to the buyer or seller and not pages of anger fed drivel like most other forums.
Haha, like all the threads about you on 1000rr.net where someone complains about your customer service and then everyone else chimes in with their horrible dealings with you? Then you buy parts from Brad and beg him to delete the thread because no one will deal with you anymore? You mean like that?

Allowing others to post in the thread will give credibility to the OP who has a problem if others are allowed to back up his claim. You see it as piling on or a mob mentality but as you've seen in your threads, alot of people just chalk up their losses to you as a learning experience and don't start a thread because they know you will turn the table and make them seem like the bad guy. If one person has a problem, there is usually more so why not let everyone talk about theirs in the same thread.
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Thanks Jami for the great example of the hate and inappropriate comments Ben is trying to curtail.

Closed Thread