My 2011 R1 - a work in progress - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My 2011 R1 - a work in progress

Just thought I'd document the R1 and the stuff we've done to it so far. This has been by far my favorite motorcycle, it's just unique and so much fun to ride. The bike I came from prior to this was an RC51 with just about everything aside from engine work and front mounts (wheels, suspension, carbon airbox/intake, 55lbs weight knocked off). I bought the R1 around may of 2012, at the time it had speedmetal levers (brake lever was worthless), a flashed ECU, mirror block offs, M4 y-pipe, Leo Vince stainless slip ons and a reservoir sock. It had 2500 miles and the tires were stock (and covered in armor all). Here's how it looked the night I got it.

Here is the mostly complete mods list for the bike:

Chassis and braking:
Ohlins TTX and FGR Pressurized Fork Cartridges
SBU Superbike-Spec Suspension Linkage and Link Rod
Attack Performance Adjustable Offset Triple Clamps
BrakeTech Oversize 330x6mm Ductile Iron Brake Rotors
Dymag CA5 Carbon Fiber Wheels
Brembo Billet 19x18 with Titanium Hardware and LBP switch
Brembo GP4-RX 130mm Nickel Calipers
Underslung Rear Brembo Caliper
Vesrah SRJL-XX Brake Pads (for steel rotors)
Ferodo XRAC Brake Pads (for iron rotors)
Spiegler Brake Lines
Galespeed Remote Brake Adjuster
Superbike Unlimited Rear Rotor
Ohlins SD 024 Steering Damper
Motoholders aluminum subframe with carbon fiber trays
Rear Brake HRC-style Reservoir Delete

Electronics:
GripOne P3 traction control with IMU and datalogger
SBU ECU Flash
2012 ECU/Traction Control Swap
Bazzaz ZFi-TC and Z-AFM
Techtronics CABS auto blipper
Alien Motion AM-12 Battery

Engine/Drivetrain/Cooling:
Superbike Head with Custom Cams
Graves Upper and Lower Velocity Stacks
Akrapovic EVO Kit II Exhaust
CSF WORKS 2.0 Radiator
EK 3D 520 Chain
Driven Sprockets
Graves Motorsports Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
Lacomoto Superbike Ram Air Tubes
WSBK-Spec Carbon Air Collector
High Pressure Fuel Lines
Modified Airbox

Controls and other hard parts:
Attack Performance Rearsets with short pegs
LighTech Chain Adjusters with Lifters
Apex MFG GP 50mm Clip ons
Sato Lever Guard
Motion Pro Revolver Throttle
Cox Radiator Guards
LighTech Axle Sliders
Domino SBK Grips
Tank Traction Pads
Fast Frank Racing captive/tapered billet wheel spacers

Bodywork and carbon fiber:
Lacomoto Carbon SBK Hugger
Lacomoto Carbon M1 Airbox Cover
Lacomoto Carbon Frame Covers
Lacomoto Carbon Swingarm Covers
Lacomoto Carbon M1 Front Fender
Lacomoto Carbon Case Covers
Lacomoto Pro Series Race Bodywork
Carbon Fiber Tank Sides

Removal of all unnecessary OEM items

Then as of April 2014.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 02-10-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The first thing I did was ditch the tires. I got some Bridgestone S20s, which were pretty nice for street tires, but didn't last very long. I then upgraded the brake lines to Spieglers, got some Carbone Lorraine XBK5 pads(not so sure about these) and cut down the Leo Vince exhausts. I never much cared for the styling of LVs and shortening them DID NOT help at all. They did sound cool though. I also began understanding how to flash the ECU and began my own tweaks on the ECU's engine braking and fueling. I right away felt better on the bike with the brakes and tires and was astounded at how well it handled with stock suspension. Also the power was insane compared to the RC.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #3 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next I wanted to track the R1, so began focusing on track worthy upgrades. I purchased a full slider suite, front axle, rear adjuster blocks, no cut frame sliders and clutch cover sliders. I also purchased a set of Q2s since I'd shagged the S20s at 32psi in only about 1,000 miles. Next were Vortex V2 rearsets, stomp grip, a -1 front sprocket, seat cowl, Danmoto titanium 300mm GP style slip ons, a billet race gas cap and some 55w 6000k HIDs for street riding/increased visibility. They look nice with the projectors. I also got a decent anodized brake lever to replace the speed metal junk (I'd been using OEM). Rick at Cogent Dynamics also adjusted my stock suspension for me and did a great job at tweaking the settings/setting sag. I also removed stock stuff like reflectors, front sprocket cover, passenger pegs, etc. Next was a weekend at CMP, where the R1 did great. The GP slip ons knocked something like 7lbs off of the bike. The LVs were remarkably heavy.

Here's a video from this time, me following my friend on an RC on a twisty road.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 03-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.

post #4 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next, was a new Ohlins TTX out back and a DynoJet quickshift sensor that I am able to integrate into my ECU. The dynojet sensor proved to be a bit unreliable for me and I didn't much care for it, so I sold it and found a Bazzaz ZFi-QS with an auto tuner that I snagged because it addressed my quickshift issues as well as my concern that my fueling was far from perfect. Unfortunately the seller of the Bazzaz unit was less than honest regarding his setup and I had some issues. Bazzaz however was amazing to deal with and resolved all of the issues and were incredibly helpful. An amazing company to work with. I also got a custom LED integrated tail light with a brake light flasher. Thing is crazy bright and works very well, OEM quality unit. An alien motion 8 cell battery (only 1.1lbs) rounds off this series of upgrades.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 03-29-2013 at 05:49 PM.
post #5 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next, I got some Renthal clip ons, which I think are awesome units. They have adjustment marks for easy lining up. I also upgraded my Bazzaz to the TC unit and switched to GP shifting in the process. Can't wait to test it all out on the track!
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #6 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next I purchased a 520 conversion kit with both the front and rear sprocket smaller (-2 on both), got my forks redone with Ohlins 30mm kit by Rick at Cogent, purchased some LBP titanium canisters from SimonKobe, and began my partnership with Lacomoto. Naturally, I installed a few of their CF pieces on my bike, which I'd been drooling over for some time. I installed driven AIS block off plates to get a good AFR for my autotuner, got a probolt Titanium rear axle nut (dropped less than an ounce, haha) I also did the SBK style rear brake reservoir delete. While I was under the tank, I replace the fuel line with some high pressure fuel injection hose, to avoid kinking in my fuel line. I also put some Michelin DOTs on there. Bike is finally getting close to what I'd visualized initially.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 05-08-2013 at 03:17 AM.
post #7 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next, I'm focusing heavily on track goods. I've purchased some warmers, XT Ultra lap timer, Pirelli Superbike Pro slicks, and have a full racing bodywork kit with a superbike tail on the way from Lacomoto. The plan is to race the R1 with WERA this year, which will be my first season doing so. In the meantime I'm doing my best to convince myself to sell the last carbon belly pan I currently have in stock as opposed to installing it with my OEM stuff. I think I've covered everything major on the bike so far. Next on the upgrade list:
Rear linkage
Brembo RCS19
New pads - edit: Just ordered some Vesrah RJLs.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 03-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.
post #8 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Gold Sponsor

looks good
fit from the mufflers to the header is good?no exhaust leakage?

Last edited by simonkobe; 03-30-2013 at 05:30 AM.
post #9 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! You should hear it. Sounds as close to an M1 as I could hope. Fit is good, I had a local performance shop weld an adpater with the same ID of the canisters, then sealed with silicone. I don't feel any exhaust leaks with my hand.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #10 of 211 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just realized the R1 has a built in push-button laptimer, utilizing the start button. That's pretty cool! Awesome how much tech bikes have now, velocity stacks that adjust based on RPM, built in shift light, gear indicator, ECU tuning, big piston forks. Soon we'll have fully active and flawlessly functioning active suspension with race quality ABS. Sigh...

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #11 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA View Post
Thanks! You should hear it. Sounds as close to an M1 as I could hope. Fit is good, I had a local performance shop weld an adpater with the same ID of the canisters, then sealed with silicone. I don't feel any exhaust leaks with my hand.
I have a pair of Simon's Ladybird titanium cans that I was keeping as spares for the SP-1 ~ dumb question but could I use them on the R1? I want the 3/4 exhaust & from my hunting online Yoshimura are the only ones with it. Would the Ladybird cans fit direct onto the Yoshi 3/4 system I wonder..... no doubt they wont sell it separately anyway

Sounds good does it? Different to the Leo Vince by a huge margin?

SP1 - the only way to fly
post #12 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Leo Vinces actually sounded fantastic after I shortened them, but I really did a hack job on the cans and wasn't happy with the outcome. You can buy any slip on system you want, then purchase an M4 Y Pipe. That's the most economical way to get a 3/4 system of your liking. On the cans, mufflers are pretty universal, so if you have them adapted properly, they'll work fine. I think the best looking/performing ones are the Akrapovics. I just wanted something different and loved the LBPs on my RC so decided to run them on the R1.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #13 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 03:50 AM

Thats what I needed to know, which Y pipe works with everything. M4 is the one, available for a good price too.

Cheers

SP1 - the only way to fly
post #14 of 211 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally washed the bike today. These will be going on in a few weeks for the race at Barber. My plastics are in NY waiting to clear customs. I also went over to see Rick and the guys at Cogent, who finished setting up my forks for me. They were pretty good stock, but now they match the TTX perfectly, much more consistent under braking/corner entry. My Z-AFM's map is finally pretty much done as well and feels fantastic.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 04-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.
post #15 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Latest update: Got the track plastics on, still waiting on vinyl for them, hopefully I get it before the weekend is here. Also have a TC active light on the way from Bazzaz, I'd hoped it would be here before the race, but I don't think it's going to happen. These track plastics are the best I've ever used, I love Lacomoto stuff. No trimming was required, all hardware was preinstalled and included 1/4 turn screws with plastic washers. All mounting and stress points are visibly reinforced with carbon and lastly it's designed to remove a lot of metal and other stock junk from under the seat and tail. I think the race plastics have probably dropped 20-25lbs from the bike, at least 15-17lbs in the nose alone. Here are some pics, pre vinyl. Oh - and here's a shot of the RSV4 we sponsored, all ready for Barber.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 05-08-2013 at 04:17 AM.
post #16 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In race livery (not quite done).
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #17 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 PM

So pretty, so so pretty

post #18 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks man. It's a sweet bike to ride.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #19 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 AM

Some mighty fine iron (and carbon!) there

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
post #20 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstr View Post
Some mighty fine iron (and carbon!) there
I really appreciate the praise coming from guys with such cool bikes.
Attached Images

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode