My 2011 R1 - a work in progress - Page 3 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next round of updates-

We've finally gotten some wheels fitted. It was down to these and CA5s in carbon fiber. Alloy won out! Marchesini Genesi M7RS -

Next was the Akrapovic Evo Kit II exhaust. We were going to do this or the Graves Link Full Exhaust, but got a package deal and couldn't pass it up!

Next was an add on radiator. We're really looking forward to testing this.

Lastly, we installed a set of LighTech chain adjusters. Awesome pieces!

We then shortened the Akras 1" to enhance sound and aesthetics a bit, but without chopping them completely.

Better pics soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM
And Stateside again...

My 09.
post #43 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Loving the exhaust! Tell me it's not purely symphonic, I dare you.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #44 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage

A little shot of the bike in 'street' form. I'll have some much better shots soon, in proper race trim.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #45 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next round of updates!

OK, so with the LighTech chain adjusters, I'd lost the axle block sliders, which wasn't good. Fortunately LighTech offers a very nice set of delrin axle sliders for the front and rear, with aluminum inserts with some color options.

Installation was a breeze and the style is much sleeker than those they replaced. Very light as well.

While there, I opted for the
Superbike Lifters, in black, also offered by LighTech for their Chain Adjusters.

We use the correct stand for the lifters, but left the spools on for situations where the lifter stand may not be handy.

Next, we installed the Galespeed / Active remote brake adjuster. This will be very helpful for overcoming fade in longer races, or track sessions, especially at Road Atlanta. For the money, the kit is an excellent value. It must be cut to length, then squaged, using supplied materials.

It wasn't a direct fit for our RCS master cylinder, which utilizes a different adjuster post than some other Brembo master cylinders, where the knob is pressed instead of held in placed by a pin.

This was an easy remedy, we simply drilled a hole in the base of the post to match the portion of the adjuster that slides over. We then used a cotter pin to secure the assembly.

Next, we installed an APE Racing Manual Cam Chain Tensioner. This was a little trickier than I initially thought. The tension on the cam chain must be just right, or the chain will jump the teeth on cam sprockets.

For the first time in the history of the bike, there's no ticking at startup and it starts on the first try cold, which is a first.

Lastly, I replaced the OEM steel subframe bolts -

- with anodized aluminum units.

The new bolts were 20g lighter each. Not a bad way to drop some weight. Much more will be coming soon, including something you won't find anywhere else for the crossplane R1. Stay tuned!

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #46 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM
And Stateside again...

your old pipes are absolutely perfect in every sense of obnoxious.
Also just had K&N Motorsports in Tulsa do the ECU Flash, QS, PC-V and a Full tune this past weekend. I put down 155.40 and 74ft-lbs of torque. and I must say the QS is a welcome addition.
post #47 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Should've sent it to the pros. Ours put down 165 over the weekend. Our other sponsored 09 did 170.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #48 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
And Stateside again...

really? K&N has done quite a few around the Tulsa area and he said mine was in the range he considers normal. My AFR looks great and my curve is smooth so I'm happy. (Graph is in my Center console of my truck, I'll scan it in and post it up later this week.)
But I also know his dyno reads 10HP lower than another dyno that is in town.
post #49 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM
And Stateside again...

I'm planning a trip out that way at some point maybe I will swing by and see if you can massage a little more out of her for me.
post #50 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
One was done at Lee's Performance, the other at Carolina Motorsports' dyno. The thing about flashing is there's so much more to it than the fuel, there's a lot of power and smoothness to be had in the ignition mapping.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #51 of 211 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM
And Stateside again...

I was going to send it to you, but I hauled it down to Oklahoma to ride then the forecast turned to crap so I decided to get it tuned and all that jazz. had them flash it at the same time. may still send it out to you.
need to tighten my throttle cables. i feel like there is too much free play.
post #52 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #53 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The R1 (and RSV4) is back after a weekend racing with WERA at Road Atlanta. They both achieved podiums, a great weekend in all. We were practicing at Barber a week prior.

Here are some action shots for you guys!

Barber:

Road Atlanta:
Both of the SBU Superbikes-

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #54 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an FYI for any interested parties, the Marchesinis may be going up for sale soon. Genesi M7RS in forged aluminum, gloss black. 2 sprockets included, a 520 45T AFAM and a 530 47T Driven in black. For another 90$, we'll include the MMR rotor.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #55 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM
And Stateside again...

what pads are you running up front. mainly a street bike but I'm prepping it for Heartland park. stock pads seem to be pretty good. just don't want to get there and find out they suck at Track speeds.
post #56 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We switched to these -

Vesrah VD-277 SRJL-XX Brake Pads 2007-2013 YZF-R1

They are absolutely amazing! Just so much power and feel, it's awesome.

For a more practical price point -
Vesrah VD-277 RJL Brake Pads 2007-2013 YZF-R1

They're still very good, even for racing. I used those for a good while.

I also have some lightly used Carbone Lorraine XBK5s I'd let you have for 50$ shipped. They have very few miles on them, but aren't up to the spec of the above pads.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #57 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM
And Stateside again...

PM me a price on a set of the RJL for the front. and can I get them by Monday?
post #58 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The price on the RJL listed is where we are on those, they're less than anyone else out there. Unfortunately we're waiting on our next Vesrah shipment. It will include a couple of sets of 277, but won't be here for another week or so.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #59 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
And Stateside again...

DANG IT!!! all well guess I'm running stock then.
post #60 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
They're not bad, you'll do fine. It'll just make you appreciate the Vesrahs that much more when the time comes. The nice thing about the R1 is the huge pads and calipers fade slowly.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode