My 2011 R1 - a work in progress - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM

great shots.... thanks for sharing

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM

So are you with Superbike unlimited on the R1 forum? I just joined over there. I am MilleniumR1.
I've seen the bike on the superbike Unlimited build thread.

Sleep is for the weak, and rules are in place to keep honest people honest.
post #23 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, I had to get my pal Jordan to handle R1-Forum for us, I got put on vacation over there! What year R1 do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #24 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMA View Post
No, I had to get my pal Jordan to handle R1-Forum for us, I got put on vacation over there! What year R1 do you have?
But it is your bike right?
I do not have one yet. I am hoping before end of summer to have one. The Ravens are nice but I love the Yamaha Blue. I still have my '00 RC but to upgrade the R1 I may part out and then sell the RC if I dont have enough funds for the aftermarket R1 parts. I will probably go with your same flash tune setup. But graves 3/4 link exhaust. Underslung rear brake, rcs master, TransLogic dash, and Lacmoto for race plastics or Sharkskins if big price diff. I dont know what the lacmoto is in US $ is? Ohlins TTx rear and worked front. Those are the wants anyways.
There is a local fast guy, Ricky Cory AFM #1 who races and builds the R1 engine so I will prob. go that route. Check him out on you tube. His shop site is. Rickycoreyracing.com

Last edited by Slwcreepin; 08-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
post #25 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep, same bike. I import all Lacomoto stuff to the US, I'm the exclusive distributor. Most of the 09-13 stuff is on my site, SuperbikeUnlimited it's all in USD. Contact me for any R1 stuff you need, we do flashing at a great price and have awesome feedback. I've got lots of custom fuel maps for various configurations as well as several very good baseline settings. For your plastics, I'll definitely be able to help you out, Lacomoto has a budget line they're preparing to release, as well as a basic racer kit and the complete racer kit that I use. It's really awesome stuff, best race glass I've used, period. Very light and flexible with hefty carbon in the stress areas. I'm familiar with Ricky Corey, he does good work. I honestly don't think you're going to need a built engine for a while. After flashing and exhaust, there's plenty of pep and it will blow your mind coming from an RC51. There's no comparison. Hit me up about your Ohlins when you're ready, we're an authorized dealer and in the same area as Ohlins, so we get a lot of solid setup info and all service through us is done by Ohlins directly. We'll beat any other dealer's price on any Ohlins stuff.

I'm glad you're getting a crossplane! It's a bad ass bike out of the box and a natural evolution from an RC51. You'll love it dude! Feel free to hit me up with any questions about it.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #26 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 PM

I have delbt with kyle racing as they are only 1.5 hrs south of me for my ohlins stuff and my ex zx6rr '04.
I reallt am hoping to get the R1. So when I do I will hit you guys up.

post #27 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Ok, wow just looked at tbe superbike web site and those are awesome prices for the fairing kit. Other stuff too.
You can never have enough power on hand engine wise and that would be the last mod for me and really only if I got back into racing again. Raced for 3 yrs with ccs and afm on a sv650 and zx6rr.
My rc is great but as you know it is dated and it isnt cosmetically the best. 6/7-10 fairing wise. And it bugs the hell out of me.

post #28 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Glad you like the stuff we've got! We're still adding products almost daily.

We took the RC and the R1 to Road Atlanta over Memorial Day weekend, it was cool to meet some Zilla guys out there! Great track. Our first time there, won't be the last. Here's a video of the R1:

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #29 of 211 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some new updates; we began installing the Lacomoto superbike ram air tubes, which prior to now we left off because of time concerns. We'd been using the stock tubes mounted into the Lacomoto upper, which worked well, but more power is always good.

The tubes:

Rubber boots removed:

Next to the OEM counterpart:

The carbon fiber fairing stay Lacomoto supplied for the race kit is designed to accommodate the OEM tubes, if desired. As such, they had to be modified to accept the new tubes.

A little hacksaw action took care of the excess material.

Ram air tubes installed into frame/plenum

They certainly look better than the bare OEM units!

All buttoned up. (note the carbon-reinforced mounting areas on the Laco upper seen below the fairing stay)

Preliminary tests look good. AFRs were predictably lean throughout, especially so in the higher RPM region. We're going back to Road Atlanta in a little over a week, should get some nice mapping done while there.

Also installed a TC active light for the Bazzaz kit. Should be a valuable tool for tuning in/out TC.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #30 of 211 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
We got a large shipment of parts in, unfortunately a few pieces were damaged in transit and unfit for sale, including a set of 09-13 R1 frame covers. I really hadn't planned on installing these, but I got a look at this endurance R1 and things changed..

So, instead of putting them in a corner somewhere, we decided to put them to use!

I didn't think I would like these, but I must say, they look pretty awesome! We're going back to the track in a week, I'll be sure to get some good shots of the bike in race trim. More to come soon!

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #31 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We finshed testing out the new tires and brakes at the track this weekend. It was a successful weekend overall, although the rain cost several sessions worth of practice.

Here's a short 'fly by' video from the front straight -
2013-07-07172542_zps3f8e616e.mp4 Video by SuperbikeUnlimited | Photobucket

We've developed our own suspension linkages that will not only add or remove ride height in the rear, but also alter the rising rate of the swingarm, potentially adding traction and drive. Unfortunately they arrived after we left for the track.

The first prototype unit.

Mounted and ready for testing.

Lastly we decided to install a set of carbon fiber tank covers, to tie the airbox cover and frame covers together. StompGrip is of course mandatory!

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 07-10-2013 at 11:04 PM.
post #32 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Gold Sponsor

great looking machine
watch out for exploding black dargon mufflers on the track,as seem to be a common occurrence these days...

Last edited by simonkobe; 07-10-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelding
post #33 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LOL, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #34 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkobe View Post
great looking machine
watch out for exploding black dargon mufflers on the track,as seem to be a common occurrence these days...
KDMA carbonpartz has lots of carbon for that R1, contact mrgrn for special speedzilla pricing.

THERMAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post

i am a assshole and really it all boils down to that.

post #35 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
For the time being, I prefer that they fit properly.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #36 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Latest round of upgrades -

Removed these thingies

Added in these. Graves velocity kit stacks, upper and lower. After tuning, the bike has noticeably more power. Awesome upgrade, for sure. The lowers are machined from solid billet and considerably shorter than OEM.

Of course with that, comes the need to stop more efficiently.

Off:

On (Brembo RCS19):

The RCS is one of my favorite upgrades so far, when coupled with the SRJL-XX pads. They are simply awesome together. 19x18 is the ratio I prefer, it really just works so well and is great for trail braking into the corner. I can't believe I didn't put one on sooner. Now to add the low drag lever or not.. hmm.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Last edited by AKDMA; 07-23-2013 at 04:52 AM.
post #37 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 AM

what are the Graves stacks made from? It almost looks like hardwood, lol BTW, well designed stacks can make a nice difference power-wise. I am running billet stacks on my VTR (designed on a flow bench) and give a definite boost in power (2 long as opposed to stock one short/one long), the add next to nothin up top, but up to 5hp in the mids... right where you tend to use a big twin

also, what is the stock MC on your R1? The previous generations (with 4 piston calipers) used a Brembo 16x18 but I was always curious as to what they used with the 6-pots......

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
post #38 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ha, they're strange-looking. They have polycarbonate uppers, I believe. They work really well, the power change is noticeable. I'm not sure if they're worth the MSRP to me, but the price we got the used set for was reasonable. Road Atlanta will be a good indicator of how much they help, hopefully it's dry there in August.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #39 of 211 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More updates!

Sato bar end and lever guard:

Vortex frame sliders replaced the ill-fitting Ebay units I had on before. I pulled the end caps out.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #40 of 211 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Latest round of updates!

We got some Driven D-Axis Rearsets in:

As well as some Domino checkered grips:

And lastly, an MMR MM-GP spec rear rotor!

Fitted:

The rearsets are great, in that they are so adjustable. The only problem with them is that they didn't provide quite the level of grip at the peg that the Vortex units did. The Domino grips were a welcome change, they finally solved the hand numbness/excessive vibration problems. The MMR rotor is also an awesome little piece. It's the lightest we could find and it looks better than any other alternative, in my opinion.

So, with the concerns about grip on the Driven pegs, I did something a bit unorthodox.

We began looking for replacement pegs that could provide more grip. Most use a smaller bolt than the Driven, but it turns out the Vortex footpegs we liked share the same thread sizes and mount in a similar way. They're also roughly the same length.

The only issue was that the Vortex pegs had a couple of small tabs that needed to be ground off in order to mount. This was relatively simple.

Afterwards, they mounted right up! Full grip is restored.

Lastly, we ordered a Driven D-AXIS fuel cap and base in titanium (cap color, not material) to replace the el-cheapo ebay special we ordered that was slowly turning orange. I really like this fuel cap. It comes off with practically no effort, only 1/4 of a turn and locks into place. Certainly a quicker job than a conventional 'race style' fuel cap.

Fitted:

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode