Global Warming - Page 5 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM

Nero, the idea of the Human race gradually creeping Northwards or Southwards (I hear Bush has purchased a lot of land in southern South America...) sounds interesting, but what Global warming WILL bring is unstable weather patterns, brutal and unpredictable hurricanes, tornados a go-go, tempests and flooding, torrential rain (months worth of rain in the space of hours...) followed by baking droughts that drag on and on... and a gradual reduction of safe drinking water. (That, by the way, will be the next war fought, for control of the fresh water resources, and it will be fought REGARDLESS of who your "Invisible Friend" and his prickly dogma is...)

Arable land is also a problem, look at what happened when the Egyptians dammed the Cataracts, and built the Nasser dam, stopping the lower Nile from flooding. The flooding was a natural event, and gave a productive cycle to the farmers of this region. When the Nile was dammed, all that changed.

Nature functions on fairly predictable cycles (sure there are always variables, but not as many as some people think) and the minute you remove or perturb those cycles, you have BIG problems.

Cutter's not being alarmist when he suggests that millions of people will die as Global Warming takes more of a hold. The big question is will we sit and twiddle, or will we make the effort to wake up in time, and propose or applicate solutions which may mean that our race will stay around a bit longer than a few hundred more years.....:twocents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Something else I came across today, that makes interesting reading;

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/cl...975381,00.html

Bye for now...I'm off to save the planet...
post #83 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
Aright, I know this may be very hard for you to understand in your black and white world.
But maybe, just maybe you can wrap your brain around the idea of have both electric cars and gas cars living side by side, I know you think if a electric car is made we will end up in the stone age somehow, but life isn't that drastic, but if we had lets say 50% of the vehicles on the road purely electric, the demand on crude oil will go down, less demand means cheaper fuel prices...

I know it must be pretty intense for you to comprehend this shade of grey, so I will type slow so you can keep up.

I'm proud that you managed to see hybrids as a step in the right direction, but hybrids are not the saviour you make them out to be, they only get about 2-4 more MPG's then it's counterparts, and that's if you drive a lot in residential neighborhoods, the battery doesn't come on at freeway speeds.

It is a half hearted attempt, but ultimately it is still a product of the oil companies strangle hold on the industry, though it is a step in the right direction.
As far as paying $60,000 for a fully electric car, I can't afford that.
But many people can, and would pay that, then the price goes down as more are made.
I am fiscal minded as well as frugal, and I know a electric car would save me a lot of money never having to pay for gas again, the market will favour electric cars for long enough for them to become common place and more inexpensive, but gas will drop in price from less demand and even out the market.
So a electric car that takes no fuel, but costs about 60 cents a mile if you charge at home figuring you use the power company and not your own solar panels or windmill.

Gas will probably drop to about 80 cents a gallon, so there will still be a demand for gas cars.

Now I know that was a lot to understand, electric and gas working side by side without going back to the stone age.
I'm not talking about shutting all the power off and living in caves, even though that is the fear instilled into you by someone or something.

So I may be not the most eco friendly person, but I don't think we need to be, we are in a oil monopoly, we don't see it because we have been in it since birth, I just see in no way shape or form how becoming less oil dependent would be a bad thing.

As far as me buying a hybrid, I can keep my car that gets 30 MPG that is paid off, and spend my money on solar paneling which would make more eco-nomy sense.

Save money and the planet, sounds like a win win, but propaganda spins of "no hope, so don't bother" attitudes is what holds a lot of people down, and a lot of people look up to our government for answers.
Needless to say, eco-nomy isn't in their best interests, so they tell us it isn't in our best interests either, and a lot of people just agree without questioning it.
LOL! Actually, I understand completely I just wanted to hear you say it more clearly.
You want OTHER ppl to pay/fix the wordly problem, and reap the rewards of others shelling out big bucks on impractical vehicles to reduce emissions and gas for YOUR car. Very admirable as usual for you cutter.

Now Ill type even slower for you and your french friend.......I havent shared my views on this topic, now have I? So to sit there and tell me Im stupid or see things b&w on this topic is pretty ignorant wouldnt ya say?

What I find annoying about you guys is the very same thing about every other hot topic, you JA's talk like you have a handle on everything and ONLY your information (wherever it comes from) is accurate. Everyone else is wrong. Again fairly consistent from you folks.

'12 Tri Explorer
'05 GSXR1k (4Sale)
'00 RC51 (4Sale)

post #84 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:19 AM

Well, we do use such "lefty" and other innaccurate sources, like NASA, the European Environmental Agency, and other wacky conspiracy sites and "far-out" lefty liberal resources, so I guess we must be wrong....and because I'd hate to die ignorant, I try and find out as much stuff, from as many sources as possible, (EVEN "gasp" right-wing sites, affiliated with wankers like the PNAC, like Forbes, etc...) to try and get some good baseline info to get a handle on the subject. If you have accurate and verifiable info, post it. I may not agree with some of it, but if it's verifiable scientific fact, who am I to argue with it ? Bias is another matter, as is spin, and those I'll happily argue them. Facts, no.

The fact that I'm concerned about idiots ruining MY life and that of the other 99.9% of all other life on this planet to get more money or more power for their ego's happens to push my button pretty hard. Whether its for a misguided war of imperial aggression to give their chums pot-loads of cash, or raping the planet to give their chums pot-loads of cash, I maintain that its wrong, unethical, and the pit of Human stupidity, and I'll try to do my little bit to alert the sheeple, or try to reverse the situation, where possible.

XFBO, it seems to me that you've shared some of your views with us in previous posts, but maybe you have a 10 second memory, like a Goldfish.....because you seem to turn around and around without going anywhere. If you have a more valid opinion, share it, we're here to learn, regardless of what "evil liberal agenda that hates your freedoms" you misguidedly think we're on....

I typed this slowly, but try and read it quickly, before your memory goes into default mode....
post #85 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Kiwi
XFBO, it seems to me that you've shared some of your views with us in previous posts, but maybe you have a 10 second memory, like a Goldfish.........
Really, smart boy???
Show me the post # I shared MY views on this subject.......or are you talking out of your @ss again?

'12 Tri Explorer
'05 GSXR1k (4Sale)
'00 RC51 (4Sale)
post #86 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't like to think you were talking out your ass, because that could create greenhouse gas and doom the Planet...
It seems to me that you shared your views on this subject in posts 15, 19, 25, 31, 53 (although that COULD be classed as "sarcasm"..), 56, 67, 74, and, last, but not least, 77.

Rock on, Goldfish boy.
post #87 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO
LOL! Actually, I understand completely I just wanted to hear you say it more clearly.
You want OTHER ppl to pay/fix the wordly problem, and reap the rewards of others shelling out big bucks on impractical vehicles to reduce emissions and gas for YOUR car. Very admirable as usual for you cutter.
Damn, I wonder why you don't feel the same way about American soldiers dying for oil company succession?
I love a guy that openly wears his heart on his sleeve.

Impractical vehicles! haha.
More practical then gas to 90% of the population, so if electric cars are impractical, then gas cars are even more impractical in spite of a million times more R&D.

And I must be wrong for wanting electric cars because I can't afford a new car right now, we better stop making higher definition TV's to, because I want that technology to grow, but I can't afford to buy it when it first comes out, so according to your logic, we should stop putting out new technologies all together unless I personally can afford to buy it when it first comes out.

I just hope I can find a very high paying job, it seems that the world of technology and advancement is relying on me personally to buy it first.
I feel sorry about anyone with old pace makers, they can't get a new one until I get one first.

Jesus, not to mention all the next year bikes will have to be put on hold until I can buy them all for MSRP, sorry guys, XFBO says that I am responsible to buy all new technology or it can't come out, I guess Super Bike will be maintaining old records for awhile.

Maybe that is why RC51's stopped upgrading after I bought mine, I should buy another one so they can upgrade again, didn't realize they were waiting for me personally.
Quote:

Now Ill type even slower for you and your french friend.......I haven't shared my views on this topic, now have I? So to sit there and tell me I'm stupid or see things b&w on this topic is pretty ignorant wouldn't ya say?
LOL

Quote:
What I find annoying about you guys is the very same thing about every other hot topic, you JA's talk like you have a handle on everything and ONLY your information (wherever it comes from) is accurate. Everyone else is wrong. Again fairly consistent from you folks.
Were you looking in the mirror typing to yourself in this last sentence?

Any more self reflecting you will be calling me XFBO and blame the liberals for starting the war in Iraq.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #88 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Kiwi
I wouldn't like to think you were talking out your ass, because that could create greenhouse gas and doom the Planet...
It seems to me that you shared your views on this subject in posts 15, 19, 25, 31, 53 (although that COULD be classed as "sarcasm"..), 56, 67, 74, and, last, but not least, 77.

Rock on, Goldfish boy.
As usual you cant come out a winner, if you havent noticed these past few days Ive been pretty much ignoring your remarks towards me, solely cuz, like this post shows, you are unable (just ONCE) to reply intelligently.
I'll give you this tho, you sucked another reply out of me thru your stupidity. Now PLEASE stop talking out of your @ss, I can smell the vasoline all the way over here in NJ.
Again I had to bitchslap your @ss to put you in place, keep spinning tho.

'12 Tri Explorer
'05 GSXR1k (4Sale)
'00 RC51 (4Sale)
post #89 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Damn, I wonder why you don't feel the same way about American soldiers dying for oil company succession?
I love a guy that openly wears his heart on his sleeve.

Impractical vehicles! haha.
More practical then gas to 90% of the population, so if electric cars are impractical, then gas cars are even more impractical in spite of a million times more R&D.

And I must be wrong for wanting electric cars because I can't afford a new car right now, we better stop making higher definition TV's to, because I want that technology to grow, but I can't afford to buy it when it first comes out, so according to your logic, we should stop putting out new technologies all together unless I personally can afford to buy it when it first comes out.

I just hope I can find a very high paying job, it seems that the world of technology and advancement is relying on me personally to buy it first.
I feel sorry about anyone with old pace makers, they can't get a new one until I get one first.

Jesus, not to mention all the next year bikes will have to be put on hold until I can buy them all for MSRP, sorry guys, XFBO says that I am responsible to buy all new technology or it can't come out, I guess Super Bike will be maintaining old records for awhile.

Maybe that is why RC51's stopped upgrading after I bought mine, I should buy another one so they can upgrade again, didn't realize they were waiting for me personally.

LOL

Were you looking in the mirror typing to yourself in this last sentence?

Any more self reflecting you will be calling me XFBO and blame the liberals for starting the war in Iraq.
Dude were you born and raised beneath power lines?

Yea you're right the US has a history of engaging in wars for BLACK GOLD. I mean hell the Bush family has had government ties for nearly 40 yrs?
Oh man, would I like to be in that family with all the money they're worth, those bastards! Its gotta make you wonder how many holding tanks they have underground at all there ranches. Millions you think???

You can barely recognize your own mindset and you're trying to decipher mine? LOL! It amazes me that you even have internet access considering your paranoya with all the big bad ppl who run this nation.

'12 Tri Explorer
'05 GSXR1k (4Sale)
'00 RC51 (4Sale)
post #90 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Dude were you born and raised beneath power lines?

Yea you're right the US has a history of engaging in wars for BLACK GOLD. I mean hell the Bush family has had government ties for nearly 40 yrs?
Oh man, would I like to be in that family with all the money they're worth, those bastards! Its gotta make you wonder how many holding tanks they have underground at all there ranches. Millions you think???

You can barely recognize your own mindset and you're trying to decipher mine? LOL! It amazes me that you even have internet access considering your paranoya with all the big bad ppl who run this nation.
I know, if I was anymore delusional I would believe that Exxon sponsored scientists that say human emissions have no effect on the environment, smoking is perfectly healthy, and eating pesticide laced food is better then food not laced with pesticides.

Not only would I believe that, I would call every stupid that posted real science to try and disprove my theories, crazy huh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #91 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
As usual you cant come out a winner, if you havent noticed these past few days Ive been pretty much ignoring your remarks towards me, solely cuz, like this post shows, you are unable (just ONCE) to reply intelligently.
I'll give you this tho, you sucked another reply out of me thru your stupidity. Now PLEASE stop talking out of your @ss, I can smell the vasoline all the way over here in NJ.
Again I had to bitchslap your @ss to put you in place, keep spinning tho.

What ?

You seem to have a bit of a thing about my ass, XFBO. Lets just leave this in your closet, hmmm....
post #92 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 02:40 PM

Keep dreamin frenchie.

'12 Tri Explorer
'05 GSXR1k (4Sale)
'00 RC51 (4Sale)
post #93 of 3774 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:14 PM

More of a nightmare, really. I'd feel like an Iraqi being "Liberated".

How about we get this back on topic ?
post #94 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero
I'm curious. How many of you have bought into the idea than humans are the LEADING cause of global warming ? Do you even believe the Earth is warming ?
Yes. Just like every other time in history between ice ages, when there were no cars,factories,etc.

"I'd rather have a German division in front of me, than a French division behind me"--George S. Patton
post #95 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepeatOffender
Yes. Just like every other time in history between ice ages, when there were no cars,factories,etc.
That's your proof that we are not triggering a early iceage on ourselves?

So using your logic, I could also say that people died long before guns were invented, so that means you can't kill anyone with a gun because people died long before they were invented...

Yeah, I'll abandon 99% of all published ecologists scientific analysis for that talking point

post #96 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
...Yeah, I'll abandon 99% of all published ecologists scientific analysis...
Yikes - that's all I needed to see. Published means accurate and truthful. Slam dunk baby. Debate over.

All posts are intended to be funny or helpful, your results may differ. if you think that I am picking on you or out of line please call 1-800-DONT CRY. Do not attempt similar posts at home; these posts were created by a professional in a controlled environment. Poster does not take any responsibility for injury that may occur (broken nail, hurt feelings, etc)

Last edited by DanST4; 01-06-2007 at 06:27 PM.
post #97 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Haven't read this entire discussion yet, but I'd like to add my two cents...

I believe that global warming is pretty darn obviously going on. The evidence is there, and the whole debate about it is just like the debate about cigaretts causing cancer. Just like the hole in the ozone layer, this is a real problem and it can be fixed.

In response to this, I read everything that I can to stay informed of both sides. I also primarily commute on motorcycle, I use public transportation whenever possible. Also, I'm planning on buying a truck in the near future, I'll be buying a diesel truck so that I can go the cooking grease route for powering it, or at least biodiesel.

My power bill is also generally under 15$ a month, I turn off everything when I'm not using it.
post #98 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Haha @ Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_broke_down
Also, I'm planning on buying a truck in the near future, I'll be buying a diesel truck so that I can go the cooking grease route for powering it, or at least biodiesel.
Perhaps you need to put the reading material down when getting sleepy cuz biodiesel is "the cooking grease route".

Since this thread wont die. Can anyone emphatically state whether or not global warming has happened in the earth's history and was it once or numerous times?

'12 Tri Explorer
'05 GSXR1k (4Sale)
'00 RC51 (4Sale)

Last edited by XFBO; 01-06-2007 at 11:30 PM.
post #99 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM

I guess the best way to look at this is that we all will most liklely not live through all the affects of global warming in our lifetimes. Our kids will. From what it sounds like is that this is a phenomenon that we may or may not have a hand in shaping. I for one, am fine with taking action now. Better to be prudent and take action too soon rather than to wait until nothing can be done.
post #100 of 3774 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM

I thought this was an interesting article, found in the Washington Post today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode