Speedzilla Forums banner

My VF1000R

10K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  mrgrn 
#1 ·
Thought I'd post up here and show off my old lady.

I actually stumbled on this forum while searching for something else completely but seems pretty busy so i thought I'd register and see what was going on here. Anyway, this is my old VF1000R. Lots of mods. Had a brain relapse recently and put her up for sale. I realized the error in my ways and took it of the block and have decided that I will be keeping it whether i can afford a daily rider to put next to it or not. Anyway, here I am.

By smackdoogle at 2012-03-17

By smackdoogle at 2012-03-17

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I won't be selling it but it's so hard since she only has 149XX miles on it. I want to ride ride ride but I feel bad throwing the miles on it.

I'm healing up right now from reconstructive ankle surgery so riding is out for at leas the next month. After that I'll be looking for a VFR750 to make my daily rider.

Anyway, thanks again.

#10 ·
Very nice!

I fully understand your plight about racking up miles too... I love riding vintage bikes. We have a VTR250 and an RD400, but spare parts are next to impossible to get regardless of how much money you have and every mile on them adds to the overall wear & tear.
I don't intend to veer off topic, but I recently had this type of thing put to me in such a way that it is changing how I approach "stuff".

(with respect a certain item you want to preserve) "If you died tomorrow, would anyone really give a rat's ass about this thing you hold so dear?"

The answer of course, for almost anything, is a solid NO. If you rode the heck out of an old bike until it was worn completely out, and then kicked off, would your wife curse you for ruining the resale value of the collectible motorcycle? Nope. Regardless of the condition, the bike would just be another thing to dispose of from your estate.

For me it is old motorcycle magazines. I have hundreds going back 20+ years. I couldn't bear to throw them away, and to me the $1 or $2 I would get for each didn't seem like nearly enough money, they were more valuable to me. I would rummage through them to read some article on the '96 CBR900RR or a Guzzi California that Cycle World/Pro Italia tricked out in 1991. I doubt even the author of the article or mechanics at PI remember the bike...but here I am digging through boxes trying to find it to read about the bike.

When the mindset above in bold was communicated to me, I had a sort of epiphany regarding these stupid magazines. They are just taking up space in the garage, nightstand, closet, etc. So far I have only given away all my MX mags from '85-95. It felt cleansing to do so. While I haven't disposed of any streetbike mags yet, I will either sort the good condition ones and sell them on EBay, or just scan in articles I like and toss them over the winter. It is wierd, realizing these stacks of colored paper and words mean only something to me makes it easier to not really care what happens to them. This philosophy is also starting to apply to my old 851, which has many parts that simply are not available today. I find myself thinking it would be more fun to see if I could get 100,000 miles out of it than it to be a perfectly preserved full-sized replica of a Tamiya model.

I think for me disposing of the old magazines is sort of like you riding the old bikes despite knowing that every mile makes them closer to a non-running parts bike on craigslist. If you think about it we are no different, every day is closer to our eventual tombstone.

So just ride what you want, as often as you want, for as long as you want. Fix it until it cannot be fixed, then find another one from a guy who considered himself a caretaker rather than enjoying its real intended purpose.

#18 ·
Mods?
Only a few:
CBR900RR rear wheels
CBR600F2 front wheel
Galfer SS lines
Kerker cans
Penske Triple Clicker
numerous other lil things (K&N, Barnett CK, levers, etc. etc.)

So, the original owner contacted me after seeing pics of the bike and offered me a healthy amount for it. It's currently on a truck heading back to Rocklin, California from my home here in North Carolina. The new owner has promised that if he ever sells it I get first dibs. So what did I get to replace it? I upgraded! To a 1986 VFR750. Same mods and then some.

By smackdoogle at 2012-06-24

By smackdoogle at 2012-06-24

Plus, I needed a new project. Found this '93 VFR 750 in a yard. The owner delivered it to my garage for $250. I'm about $800 into it now. It'll be my daily rider when finished. This is also my first time rebuilding bodywork and it sucks. I hate paint.

These pics were taken when I first got it. She's a runner though.

By smackdoogle at 2012-07-05

By smackdoogle at 2012-07-05

#23 ·
LMAO LOL LMAO Hey WW.,

Not to laugh at>You< but I'm just Laughing at how dam Disgusted You sound here Bro....

So Whitw., let me get this straight, YOU traded Your 94 VFR that You Loved,... For a Boat because the VFR was leaking, then you bring your New (to you) boat out and it almost sinks!:eek: LMAO but WTF Whitw.. :confused:
FWIW & FYI: You're NOT supposed to forget, Installing your boat's Drain plug mang.:p

So, Your 94 VFR, what was it leaking, fuel, oil, fork oil, brake fluid, coolant or other?

By the way, do You still have said boat, Maybe you might want to trade it for a 94VFR? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.