'06 SM610S First Impression - Page 5 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100
Dave, Its very lean. runs better with the larger pilot jet but still needs more.

and I believe the exhaust change will likley need even more. Did you get your
pipe yet? I hear from Dan that it should be here. I haven't done any jetting
in a long time. But I remember to slowly creap up on it, if you jump up to a
much larger jet you may get way out of tune. I generaly make a change a day
than ride it to work for a good test ride. So I should have it dialed in shortly
just in time to start again with the new exhaust. Are we having fun yet?
Aside from removing the emissions crap, I haven't changed a thing. I haven't decided on an exhuast yet. My riding season is coming to an end soon. I can figure out what exhaust system I'll go with over the winter.

That will give all you guys enough time to figure it all out and I'll take the easy way out and do what works best for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot

Does it stutter at steady throttle openings, or when accelerating? Both? Make sure your fuel vent lines are not kinked. Also, check to see if your spark plug has a screw-on cap to properly fit the plug boot. While setting up my bike, I noticed that my stock plug did not have one fitted. This could cause an erratic spark because the spark has to jump the gap between the connection inside the boot to the contact on the spark plug. Easy to check.

Mine starts to stutter at 4300rpm and continues through to just over 5000rpm. Typically only when trying to hold a steady speed in that rpm range. I can accelerate through that range without much trouble, only an occasional hiccup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM

Any of you experienced the head gasket issues that are being reported elsewhere?
Attached Images

post #84 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Probably a wise move. My riding will end soon too. But this bike draws so much

attention I would like to get it basically set up asap. I have a Beemer and a sweet Ducati S4R all done up and all anyone can talk about is the Husky. Probably because it's so new.
post #85 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 PM

"Did it get worse with these adjustments? Apparently the SM610 has a catalytic converter inside the muffler. I would think that this would allow reasonable jetting from the factory. Maybe not. I haven't experienced any significant stuttering or surging on my 610, that would indicate excessive lean jetting. Only mod so far, until I get the Leo Vince, is .5 turn out on the fuel screw.

Does it stutter at steady throttle openings, or when accelerating? Both? Make sure your fuel vent lines are not kinked. Also, check to see if your spark plug has a screw-on cap to properly fit the plug boot. While setting up my bike, I noticed that my stock plug did not have one fitted. This could cause an erratic spark because the spark has to jump the gap between the connection inside the boot to the contact on the spark plug. Easy to check."

No DP, is steadly getting better. If I roll the throttle on quickly I don't get the stutter. I have to look for it now a steady 4200-4500 RPM will find it.
I just got the jets from Sudco yesterday so I hope to get it dialed in this weekend.
post #86 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyde
Any of you experienced the head gasket issues that are being reported elsewhere?
Nope, not me.

post #87 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Señor Member

Mid range stuttering - ignition, not jetting

Guys, have any of you experiencing stuttering during mid RPM at steady throttle looked into getting the different ignition control box?

I had a 2000 SM610S that had evil stuttering at town cruise speeds. The off-road ignition controller from one of their race bikes solved the problem immediately.
post #88 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda
Guys, have any of you experiencing stuttering during mid RPM at steady throttle looked into getting the different ignition control box?

I had a 2000 SM610S that had evil stuttering at town cruise speeds. The off-road ignition controller from one of their race bikes solved the problem immediately.
Interesting, thanks for the input banda.

Although, the only other 610 (the TE) is also street legal, so I'm guessing it is the same unit.

post #89 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Interesting, thanks for the input banda.

Although, the only other 610 (the TE) is also street legal, so I'm guessing it is the same unit.
The top end and the wiring harness are the same as all the old 570s, I'll bet ya. Look farther back in the past and you'll see that there was a SM610R... and of course the NOX, as well as several other competition models.

Seriously, I found the part number on an Italian message board, ordered it from my dealer, plugged it in, stumble solved.

I posted a big long explanation of it on this message board back in '02, part number and all. You wouldn't happen to have archives back that far, would you?

Heck, if you could find someone who had that ignition module (or one from a competition Husky) and convice them to let you just try it for a spin around the block...
post #90 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:57 AM

I'm picking up the Leo Vince tonight at UPS. Just removed the stock exhaust. The stock muffler is a bit hefty but not too bad despite the fact that there is a cat converter inside. The stock muffler looks like it's pretty restrictive. I've got most of the jets I think I'll need and a Boyesen pump plate for the carb to install as well. I'll probably do the carb surgery later tonight and tomorrow morning. I'll check to see if the throttle opening is restricted similar to the WR yamaha and take care of that too. If all goes as planned, I'll take it for a spin with the new exhaust and revised carb settings tomorrow morning. I'll probably hold off on opening up the airbox cover till I get the carb sorted for the exhaust.

I'll post my findings tomorrow.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
post #91 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Canis Lupus

Anxiously awaiting your findings, I guess mine's enroute, with jets etc.
post #92 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 04:35 AM

Me 2

I also have ordered the Leo Vinci full Ti and am getting some new fat main jets(205, 210, 215)...I removed the back-fire screen from the airbox & it BREATHES alot better, even with the full exhaust. But, I know she's runnin' a little lean now.

Dealer warranteed my leaky petcock with out seeing it, shipped me the part with my promise to send the bad one back, what great customer service from the boys at Upstate Cycle in Greenville, SC. Seems the leak was at the wiring in the back of the petcock, I had fixed it with a little JB weld, but I'll take the new one.

I have had NO trouble with my bike other than the petcock issue. I wonder if the problem bikes were being broken in correctly. I've been real easy on mine with 3 good heat cycles before riding the thing. The leaky coolant troubles me if its not a bad gasket, maybe it's a bad match of head to cylinder, though it would be hard to belive that would make it past QC.

Some help on the oil screen removal on the RT side on bike, I got the oil pump volutes out but couldn't get the back plate or the pump axle out...Any help would be apprciated, Your humble 2 stroke mechanic
post #93 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 AM

I picked up the Leo Vince this evening and installed the headpipes. Very nicely made exhaust and the heat shield is a carbon fiber piece. It comes with a spark arrestor screen and a couple of different noise dampers of different lengths. I'll take a look at the air filter screen tomorrow morning and maybe do some surgery on that as I'm swapping jets and adjusting the carb.

I haven't cleaned out the right side screen yet but I did remove the oil pump cover in search of the elusive right side screen. Concluded that the whole clutch cover has to come off to get to the screen since I found no access to the screen from the oil pump access cover. The location of this screen is not very descriptive from the parts diagram or the diagram in the manual. I'll pop off the cover after I get the new gasket I ordered. Glad to hear that your leaky fuel valve has been resolved. Mine was leaking a little, then it stopped. I'll remember the JB Weld solution just in case.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
post #94 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:36 PM

Dukepilot, where did you order your exhaust from? I'm still waiting for mine from Motoexotica. Can't wait till it gets here.

1972 Yamaha TD-3 : 1972 Yamaha TR-3 : 1980 Harris TZ350G : 1990 Yamaha TZ-RZ350 special : 2002 Yamaha YZ85 : 2003 Suzuki SV650 : 2003 Cannondale S440 #14 : 2004 Yamaha R1 : 2006 Husqvarna SM610 : 2006 Triumph 675 Daytona
post #95 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Canis Lupus

We all ordered them from dan, I believe there were only 4 available to begin with.
post #96 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Last time I spoke with Dan, he said he had three coming in. So, if Dukepilot got his, then mine should be here shortly

1972 Yamaha TD-3 : 1972 Yamaha TR-3 : 1980 Harris TZ350G : 1990 Yamaha TZ-RZ350 special : 2002 Yamaha YZ85 : 2003 Suzuki SV650 : 2003 Cannondale S440 #14 : 2004 Yamaha R1 : 2006 Husqvarna SM610 : 2006 Triumph 675 Daytona
post #97 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:52 PM

Dan received the initial shipment of 3 full systems from Leo Vince on Thursday and immediately shipped them out. I live not too far away from Dan's shop in Vacaville, CA so UPS delivered on Friday. You guys should get yours soon. Takes a couple of days for the trip.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R

Last edited by dukepilot; 10-03-2005 at 12:46 AM.
post #98 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 08:24 PM

OK, installed the Leo Vince full system and made some carb adjustments:

52 pilot
JD Blue Needle 3rd position - this needle is the same length as the OBDVR but is thinner. (With the stock needle, I would go down to the 4 or 5th position and try a 55 pilot)
185 Main
Boyesen Pump Plate

I left the backfire screen in and kept the airbox lid intact. Bike fired right up and is at least as quiet at start up as the stocker. That all changes when you get on the throttle though. Power is up but I need to fool with the needle and maybe back down to the 50 pilot with the needle I'm running.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
post #99 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Canis Lupus

I was planning to begin with the 180 main, 58 pilot, and stock needle in 5th position, basically mimicing the NOX and 630 set up, then adjusting the screws from there.
Tell me about the pump plate?
post #100 of 915 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 11:36 PM

I'm down to a 45 pilot. Tried the 55, then the 50. This is with the JD blue needle for the 510/450. If I can't clean up the carburation off idle, I'll go back to the stock needle or maybe try the red needle (leaner) and start over. I'm spot on above 20% throttle and it pulls a lot harder and revs out quicker than with the stock exhaust/carb settings. Above around 4500 rpm, things start happening!

I could probably go down to a 180, might try that later. With the stock needle, I would start at the 5th position with a 55 or 58 pilot. That should be close but be prepared for some trial and error.

The Boyesen plate supposedly eliminates the aeration in the accelerator pump that can cause a momentary delay in the squirt when cracking the throttle open. Didn't notice this problem before but I had the plate so I put it on. The FCR MX allows some adjustment of pump squirt timing. Haven't messed with that and I don't think I will need too.

07 Ducati HM-S
06 HVA SM610
04 HVA SM450R w/Rekluse
04 HVA TE250 w/Reluse
04 HVA CR125
05 Buell XB9SX
03 Honda CRF170R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode