'06 SM610S First Impression - Page 3 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Landstrom
Dave you're not talking about the bog off of idle are you? If so, slap on a Boyesen Quickshot on. I slapped one on my FCR and it sorted my bog/stall problem off idle.
Nope, it seems to miss or stumble at about 4500rpm (give or take).

You'll have to ride it to help me diagnose the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Canis Lupus

First impressions, well, first the good:

Great chassis and suspension setup right out of the box, I was sure I was gonna be looking at some spring rate changes at both ends but I may be able to dial this to suit with just rear preload and front clickers, the geometry is really dead on now and far more stable than my nox.
The front brake is hair trigger and reminds me of a superbike front brake, almost zero travel at #4 and superb feel and power.

Now the bad:

The emmisions garbage has screwed the motor to the point where it needs to be removed just to get the thing to run cleanly, I'm getting the same midrange sputter and really it doesnt even like to idle. The amount of power that's being choked off is astounding, I read the jetting specs and they are way off, the thing is so lean when I pulled back into the garage the rear plastic on the pipe side was smoking, it would definately melt if ridden like this.
I also plan to swap the 16t front sprocket for a 15t that comes stock on the TE version, put in the engine ice, possibly remove the thermostat from the radiator or at least relieve it a bit to flow more.
Thank god I got my order in for the pipe, it will be the final step in restoring this motor to the power level it is capable of.
I wont be riding it anymore until everything is done, it's just too lean.
Also who ever thought of those cheezy rubber footpegs? Tossing those for the cleated mx versions.
Now to hunt for the jetting specs from the NOX
post #43 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA
I read the jetting specs and they are way off, the thing is so lean when I pulled back into the garage the rear plastic on the pipe side was smoking, it would definately melt if ridden like this.
You have to realize that it has to be that way to get them passed and street legal in the USA.

Does it still have a plastic fuel tank? I can't believe they can get away with that if it is.

I didn't even know you were getting one of these bikes. Very nice.

post #44 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I'm pretty sure that the '06 has a different carb than the '00. The '06 comes with a 41mm Keihin FCR. I'm hoping that it will be easily solved with some different jetting. I'm just such a moron when it comes to jetting.

Well that is good to hear. Get that emissions crap off there then get with the carb voodoo. Black magic I say. Jetting is an art. I'm getting better at it.
post #45 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:05 AM

That front brake is killer! Just pull those rubber biscuits off the pegs to reveal normal dirt bike type pegs. I believe that the stock c/s sprocket is a 15T. Didn't actually count the number of teeth on mine but it does feel like it could pull taller gearing without compromising acceleration too much. Try turning the fuel screw out .5 to 1 turn. Normally, the emissions stuff should not have an impact on engine performance. It only traps the vapors from the tank and carb. If it isn't working properly or if a hose is kinked, it could affect the venting of the tank and fuel flow to the carbs. In fact the top vent hose out of the tank was kinked on mine when I first picked it up. Took care of that right away.

The engine will loosen up considerably after a couple of hundred miles. It is very tight when new. You might want to change your oil and clean/replace your screens and filters after around 200 miles. Found lots of crap in my screens at the first oil change at 200 miles.

I'm at around 650 miles on my bike. It's running much smoother now and finding neutral at a stop is much easier. Still running the stock jetting and it actually runs pretty good. No miss, stumble and pretty good throttle response. I will open up the airbox cover and fatten it up a bit with a bigger pilot and main and some JD needles after I get the LeoVince. It should rip!

Last edited by dukepilot; 09-11-2005 at 02:22 AM.
post #46 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Nope, it seems to miss or stumble at about 4500rpm (give or take).

You'll have to ride it to help me diagnose the problem.
Give me a heads up and swing by the house and we'll perform an exorcism on your bike's stumble.
post #47 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot
That front brake is killer! Just pull those rubber biscuits off the pegs to reveal normal dirt bike type pegs. I believe that the stock c/s sprocket is a 15T. Didn't actually count the number of teeth on mine but it does feel like it could pull taller gearing without compromising acceleration too much. Try turning the fuel screw out .5 to 1 turn. Normally, the emissions stuff should not have an impact on engine performance. It only traps the vapors from the tank and carb. If it isn't working properly or if a hose is kinked, it could affect the venting of the tank and fuel flow to the carbs. In fact the top vent hose out of the tank was kinked on mine when I first picked it up. Took care of that right away.

The engine will loosen up considerably after a couple of hundred miles. It is very tight when new. You might want to change your oil and clean/replace your screens and filters after around 200 miles. Found lots of crap in my screens at the first oil change at 200 miles.

I'm at around 650 miles on my bike. It's running much smoother now and finding neutral at a stop is much easier. Still running the stock jetting and it actually runs pretty good. No miss, stumble and pretty good throttle response. I will open up the airbox cover and fatten it up a bit with a bigger pilot and main and some JD needles after I get the LeoVince. It should rip!
Yes,the stock c/s sprocket is a 15T,I counted the teeth.Even if in the manual is stated that the sm comes with 16 and the TE with 15.
So other owners here have 15 too.
And I'll assure you that the engine WILL loosen up considerably...I'm at abuot 1200 mil. so far and it feals much smooter and strong motor now.
I beleave that all that Jambo-Mambo-emission-crap is effecting your engines...so junked,open up the exaust and it WILL RIP!!!
PS:There is also an ARROW exaust sistem available for our babyes...
http://www.arrow.it/eng/ricercaprodo...pro.asp?id=771
Ciao Ciao
post #48 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Anyone have a pic of the Arrow? I'm trying to decide which exhaust to get.

1972 Yamaha TD-3 : 1972 Yamaha TR-3 : 1980 Harris TZ350G : 1990 Yamaha TZ-RZ350 special : 2002 Yamaha YZ85 : 2003 Suzuki SV650 : 2003 Cannondale S440 #14 : 2004 Yamaha R1 : 2006 Husqvarna SM610 : 2006 Triumph 675 Daytona
post #49 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamatr3
Anyone have a pic of the Arrow? I'm trying to decide which exhaust to get.
Doesn't look like Arrow has a picture available yet.
post #50 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

I did my first oil change over the weekend.

There were some small shavings on the magnetic plug, but nothing big.

I used Motorex 10-50 full synthetic. I have found some places online selling 10-60, but I figured that the 10-50 would be just fine.

I'll look into the Boyesesn Quickshot. It sounds like it could help and it's not too expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 PM

I found out some more info on the Arrow. Motostrano is selling them (none in stock) for $698.00. That is with a Ti can and Stainless headpipes. I went ahead and ordered the Leo Vinci for $200 more with the Ti headpipes. I ordered that from Motoexotica, thanks Dan.

1972 Yamaha TD-3 : 1972 Yamaha TR-3 : 1980 Harris TZ350G : 1990 Yamaha TZ-RZ350 special : 2002 Yamaha YZ85 : 2003 Suzuki SV650 : 2003 Cannondale S440 #14 : 2004 Yamaha R1 : 2006 Husqvarna SM610 : 2006 Triumph 675 Daytona
post #52 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamatr3
I found out some more info on the Arrow. Motostrano is selling them (none in stock) for $698.00. That is with a Ti can and Stainless headpipes. I went ahead and ordered the Leo Vinci for $200 more with the Ti headpipes. I ordered that from Motoexotica, thanks Dan.
I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I'm especially curious to know how loud it is. I really don't want anything too loud.

post #53 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I'm especially curious to know how loud it is. I really don't want anything too loud.
I just got a pm from a buddy that just installed the Leovince.
It sayed to me that now the byke gained power in the lower part,more smoothness in deliveryng it ,and not too much louder.
Better part is now the exust can,flowing more freely, does not get that hotter like before
post #54 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:45 PM

It is going to take me awhile before I get the pipe on. first, I need to get it broken in, then do a stock dyno run, then put the pipe on. so far, I've got 70 miles on her. It'll be awhile. I went ahead and ordered the pipe now because Dan said he only had three coming. Who knows when the next shipment will be here.

post #55 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I did my first oil change over the weekend.

There were some small shavings on the magnetic plug, but nothing big.

I used Motorex 10-50 full synthetic. I have found some places online selling 10-60, but I figured that the 10-50 would be just fine.

I'll look into the Boyesesn Quickshot. It sounds like it could help and it's not too expensive.
Dave, did you also check your screen filters (left side and right side) when you did your oil change?

Found lots of crap in my screens. Was wondering if yours was similar.

Peter
post #56 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot
Dave, did you also check your screen filters (left side and right side) when you did your oil change?

Found lots of crap in my screens. Was wondering if yours was similar.

Peter
No, I didn't. I will now that you said that!

post #57 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTCHEF
I
Better part is now the exust can,flowing more freely, does not get that hotter like before
So I can tell the wife it's a safety feature?

post #58 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
So I can tell the wife it's a safety feature?
BUT OF COURSE!!!! DON'T WE ALL CARE AND MODIFY OUR BYKE JUST FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR WIFES?
post #59 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 PM
G2G

I have a quick question for you guys. I am very new to supermotards and I really want to get one. I am thinking about getting rid of the race bike (sv650) and running a motard. Is this thing something that I can do trackdays on and a couple of CCS races on? Or will I be very dissapointed when I get it? I can run pretty quick times on my Sv placing in top 5 of the expert races I enter so will I be getting smoked by other lightweight bikes with this Husky or should I look at another motard. TIA

I feel the need the need for speed!
post #60 of 915 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
I have a quick question for you guys. I am very new to supermotards and I really want to get one. I am thinking about getting rid of the race bike (sv650) and running a motard. Is this thing something that I can do trackdays on and a couple of CCS races on? Or will I be very dissapointed when I get it? I can run pretty quick times on my Sv placing in top 5 of the expert races I enter so will I be getting smoked by other lightweight bikes with this Husky or should I look at another motard. TIA
Well, if you don't mind my opinion,I'll say that you should look for something more race-oriented...like the 510 for istance.
The 610 is a perfect Street-tard,racy enought to keep up with almost anything ON THE STREET,jet confortable for everyday use;and not very needy ,but defenetly(spelling?) not a full race byke....my:twocents
Ciao ciao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode