Speedzilla Forums banner

2012 WR450 Supermoto Project

16K views 41 replies 4 participants last post by  AKDMA 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always been a supermoto fan since my first KTM back in 2003 and lately I've been getting the bug to get another. I picked up a 2001 WR426, it's been big bored, cammed and now new valves installed. As I was starting to build this bike, I realized we have access to a lot of really nice supermoto parts. So, I decided to leave the 426/444 alone and start with a new offroad bike to build from scratch to illustrate what we can do with our parts.

So we started with a 2012 fuel injected WR450 and got to work - unfortunately, I didn't document much at first with photos, which doesn't make for an exciting build thread. For illustration purposes, here's an OEM 2012 WR450.

I think it's a great looking bike from the factory. I love the lines and styling.

First, we wanted to focus on improving the handling of the bike and enhancing the power output that Yamaha has hidden from the factory. So this means a full exhaust, full Ohlins TTX shock/cartridges and the GYTR ECU and programmer. We also got the CO tool, this helps richen the mixture at startup and low TPS inputs.

I also picked up an Acerbis Evo fender and a CP high compression piston. Not sure if I'm going that route or big bore yet. I love the programmer. It's relatively basic, but allows a wide range of fuel and timing adjustments.

To get some weight off of the bike, I ordered an Alien Motion 4 cell battery as well as Driven sprocket set in supermoto gearing (more on the way) and a new chain.

The battery knocked a whopping 4lbs off of the bike. Not bad!

Next, I wanted to mock up the wheels from the 426 while I'm waiting on our brand new Excel/G2 wheels.

It's starting to look the part!

See less See more
#2 ·
Got the Excel wheels in and mounted, along with some new rubber. I also scored a Brembo 16x18 master, Braking caliper and 320mm rotor. The bike is starting to feel pretty good now. Cams and big bore are on order.

#4 ·
Maybe, but I haven't even begun looking into it and what benefits a new offset would present for this bike. It honestly handles plenty fast now, so I don't know that it's needed just yet. The big focus right now is more grunt. I think the new cams and bore/increased compression will go a long way to help that.

#5 ·
I don't know the numbers but its a dirtbike so I'm sure it doesn't have much trail. You'll see the benefits of a reduced offset when you have it leaned over i a corner and you don't start to tuck the front.

Why are you going to big on the motor build?

#6 ·
I'll have to see what information there is out there on the triples and evaluate from there. I'm going big bore because it's a clear and easy way to give the bike more power and I see no downside. I opted for the 478cc with 13.0:1 compression and Web Cams' most aggressive setup that retains OEM valve springs.

#7 ·
Should find someone with a computrack machine. That will figure out the appropriate offset for the clamps. I don't know if the one in Atlanta is still around or not. Once you figure out what offset then next task is to find clamps or someone to make them. One off clamps can be pretty pricey. Right now we can get ktm clamps made because Im riding a ktm. All bikes are different but my bike as an example went from the factory 14-16mm clamp to a 5-7mm clamp to a 4-6mm clamp.

When I was doing my engine build this season I was thinking about going with big bore kit and a set of webcams. I was talked out of it by my engine builder that went that route for himself a few years ago. The gains for the money spent on the big bore kit wasn't worth it and at least for the ktm the webcams don't do anything. He ended up rebuilding the motor 3 or 4 times that season. A hi-comp piston and the falicon supercrank net me 5hp this year. I would have done the head as well but I ran out of money. That will be next year. Should get me 4 or 5 hp. When I do finally get that I'll probably be getting close to 60hp.

#8 ·
I can't say for sure, since I haven't tested it personally, but on the Japanese 450s, people typically claim to see around 5hp in the low end and midrange with a 480cc kit. The stock cams are also super mild, so most aftermarket units or even YZ cams offer gains. Web offers a much more aggressive cam that uses new springs, I may opt for those if this setup doesn't work the way I want.

I'll look into the computrack machine.

#9 · (Edited)
Web cams are in, Max Power cylinder is done, just waiting on the CP piston to begin the engine build.

In the meantime, here are some shots of the brakes the way they sit. The rotor is temporary, to be replaced by a BrakeTech unit as soon as they are available. A Spiegler line was installed as well, with a pressure switch banjo for a functioning brake light. We also have some awesome billet triples on the way, by RSW Racing - 13mm offset.

I also pulled the aluminum skid plate off and removed some of the unnecessary brackets and hardware associated with the OEM speedometer cable. That dropped around 2.5lbs.

Next, we'll be shortening the forks, shock and revalving. Should be pretty awesome to ride here in about 2 weeks.

#10 ·
The last of our engine parts arrived, as well as the new bars I ordered to replace the Flexx bars. Unfortunately, I need new Cycra mounts and have to bore the ID of the bars to 9/16 to accept standard inserts. We also removed the Rekluse clutch that came in the bike and reinstalled an OEM clutch. We're considering a Yoyodyne slipper clutch, but in the mean time the bike spins up much faster with the lighter, OEM clutch installed.

Here's the wrapped up new cylinder, piston and some gaskets.

The cams, piston, etc

After this, we'll take it down to the dyno to get a safe tune done and try out some different timing values. Hopefully we put out a respectable number.

Last update for today, Ron from RSW contacted us and let us know our 13mm triples are done and on the way! After the engine build, triples and slightly revised suspension, this bike is going to be a serious supermoto. From there it's just waiting on our rotor from BrakeTech. I'm in the process of getting the bike properly skinned as well.

The bike is currently being torn down and new engine bits being installed.

#14 ·
Bike is together! Still more updates coming soon, but I took it out for a shakedown run and it's definitely living up to my expectations. I can't wait to get a real tune in and see what it does.

#15 ·
Small update for the WR, got some real rubber! The profile and grip levels of the BT-003 left a bit to be desired in my opinion. I think they work better on larger bikes.

and here's that ASV perch installed.

#16 ·
Took the bike outside and got some shots. I'm now on the lookout for a WERA-legal catch pan for the bike as well as a damper so we can try entering it in a few events.

Onto the pics!

Controls

Triples

#17 ·
What are the wera requirements?

I've used this in the past and it passed tech for CCS/LRRS. The only catch is you wont be able to use a center stand.

Supermoto Belly Pan Oil Containment System Carbon Fiber Patch Work Style | eBay

I'm currently using an eline carbon fiber skid plate. I did have to make a plug for one hole but it has been passing tech. It's more money but its much stronger and you can use a center stand with it.

As far as a damper. I have and like the ohlins 2.1 damper. It works well. You can adjust the away from center and the return to center independently. Most off road dampers don't damper the return to center at all. If you do end up going with something like a scotts get the road version for that reason.

#18 ·
Returning to center sounds odd - I'm not sure I've ever used a damper that did that. It looks like Scotts might be the only thing that may work with the triples, although I would prefer Ohlins.

Thanks for the link to that pan. It looks like it would work great, but I'm not sure how we would get the warmers on. I might just use the OEM black skid plate, even though it's a little sketchy and probably wouldn't hold much.

Race rubber is mounted and we installed some Vesrah RJL pads - can't wait for the iron rotor to be here.

#20 ·
WHen I used that pan I used two pitbull rear stands. I had SME axle sliders and just picked it up from them. It didn't solve the tire changing issue but I could get it off the ground and use warmers.

I would look at the eline carbon fiber skid plate. Mine needed one plug made which was easy and its thick and tough. If you wanted to case it on rocks or roots ir doubles it would hold up and you can use the center stand.

On the rotary style dampers. The off road dampers don't have any resistence when you bring the bars back to center. They only dampen going away from center. The reason for this is so when you're in the air you can bring the bars back without applying a force to the bike which would rotate it off line.

The road dampers do dampen both away and back to center. Since wheels are supposed to be on the ground you're not going to upset the path of travel by bringing the bars back.

Scotts makes both versions. If you're planning on staying on the ground or just going over small jumps get the road version.

On the ohlins v2.1 you can change how stiff it is going away from center and coming back to center independently where as the scotts its all done on the one knob.

Hope the damper part made sense. If not let me know. I can probably explain it better on the phone.

#21 ·
Ah I gotcha - yeah the bike came with an offroad damper that was very loose in the middle. I definitely don't want another of those, it would be useless for tarmac.

#22 ·
A few more updates! We finished sorting the suspension, which including lowering the bike and completely revalving the Ohlins forks and shock for supermoto/road racing use.

Next, we swapped out this:

For this (Braketech 320x6mm ductile iron floater):

Finally, we had the bike tuned for pump gas. It put down a conservative 55hp, which we're happy with.

We also got a chance to do an on-track test at Barber this past weekend. We only did a couple of sessions as we were primarily there for developing the SBU YZF-R1. Here's a video from that day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNV6tTOFyVM&list=UUzzh40g7DBqIvBw5UyjZjiQ

#26 ·
I can get you the triples. For the caliper setup, we ordered a Beringer setup - Beringer Supermoto Top Race Brake Kit: 6 Piston Caliper, Master Cylinder and Disc - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, Kawasaki, more

They have a less expensive version. Beringer Supermoto Brake Kit: 4 Piston - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, Kawasaki, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Gas Gas

The cheapest option I've seen is going with a radial bracket and putting an Aprilia SXV caliper on there. Sometimes you have to grind material off with the radial calipers. We had a guy actually ruin a caliper by taking too much off for clearance. That's one reason I went for the Beringer setup. That and it's plug and play, 6 pistons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.