2012 WR450 Supermoto Project - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ah I gotcha - yeah the bike came with an offroad damper that was very loose in the middle. I definitely don't want another of those, it would be useless for tarmac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A few more updates! We finished sorting the suspension, which including lowering the bike and completely revalving the Ohlins forks and shock for supermoto/road racing use.

Next, we swapped out this:

For this (Braketech 320x6mm ductile iron floater):

Finally, we had the bike tuned for pump gas. It put down a conservative 55hp, which we're happy with.

We also got a chance to do an on-track test at Barber this past weekend. We only did a couple of sessions as we were primarily there for developing the SBU YZF-R1. Here's a video from that day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNV6...BqIvBw5UyjZjiQ

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for some opinions - what color caliper should we go with? Right now we're leaning towards black (top) or titanium (7th from top).

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Went with titanium. Should have some nice updates soon!

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:17 PM
And Stateside again...

I picked up a 2011 YZ450. What did you end up doing for a caliper set up?

I need a Radial mount bracket if you can source one. I am also looking at a set of 13mm triples.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I can get you the triples. For the caliper setup, we ordered a Beringer setup - Beringer Supermoto Top Race Brake Kit: 6 Piston Caliper, Master Cylinder and Disc - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, Kawasaki, more

They have a less expensive version. Beringer Supermoto Brake Kit: 4 Piston - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, Kawasaki, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Gas Gas

The cheapest option I've seen is going with a radial bracket and putting an Aprilia SXV caliper on there. Sometimes you have to grind material off with the radial calipers. We had a guy actually ruin a caliper by taking too much off for clearance. That's one reason I went for the Beringer setup. That and it's plug and play, 6 pistons.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 AM
And Stateside again...

I'll shoot you a PM when I'm ready to buy the triples.

I was seriously looking at the Gold Fren set up. Lots of guys are going that way because of the recent Beringer price hike. It's about 500 bucks cheaper than the 4 piston Beringer set up. and in both of those case I'd still need a Master.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks more expensive than the 4 piston Beringer set up here: GOLDfren Brake Kit for Supermoto Yamaha YZ-F, Suzuki RM-Z, Honda CR-F, Kawasaki KX-F

Is that what you're referring to?

Edit: For the master, the forged Brembo 16x18 is plenty good and reasonably priced. I thought about putting a billet one on ours, but I'll probably hold off.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:22 PM
And Stateside again...

You are correct. I must have misread the Beringer prices. I've been looking at too much stuff.

Looks like my order from you just got Larger...
Triples. 4 piston Beringer and Brembo 16x18. Can you PM me a quote? I should be ready to buy in the next 2 weeks.

And also a Price on dual temp warmers for the R1. my woodcrafts are getting a little beat up.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No prob! PM sent.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not a lot of news with the bike (yet). The main focus around here has been preparing our new bikes for racing, so we can get at least one of them out for this month's events. We have some really cool stuff going on the WR shortly. Hopefully we have everything by the 3rd week of this month. For now, we've gotten our Scotts damper installed. This was relatively painless, with only some minor machining required on the top bar clamp so that it'd fit the RSW triples. The bike feels very stable and now will pass tech with race orgs, so hopefully it will be on the grid shortly.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:41 AM
And Stateside again...

They require a Damper?
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, most road racing orgs require a damper of some sort.

We got a chance to run the bike at a SM track, lots of fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl05E0a2Z30

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 PM
And Stateside again...

I picked up my 2010. I'll post some pics when I put them into Photobucket.
now I just need my brakes....
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sweet! You and me both! They should be coming in very soon.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:34 PM
And Stateside again...

I'm getting ancy. 4 weeks wait and my instant need for gratification makes me very twitchy.

I'm riding dirt this weekend though.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Parts are inbound from overseas now, won't be long at all.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:01 AM
And Stateside again...

Now that is what I want to hear!!!!!!!!!!!
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:54 AM
And Stateside again...

Brakes came in today!!! woohoo!! all that is left is white plastics and the triples. Then I get to assemble and lay out graphics.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We've added lots of new updates and finished the bike up - now it's for sale!

2012 WR450 - Street Titled, FI, Ohlins, Built Motor, Beringer, Brembo, Hinson, more!

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode