Brembo Front Caliper I need some info - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Brembo Front Caliper I need some info

I'm in the process of modifying my front brake set up to use a 40mm Brembo Caliper I got from a Ducati Monster. I've just about cleared the spokes of the front wheel. I'm talking MMs.

I've done quite a bit of research on this modification and am using a Brembo 40mm brake relocater on my 04 crf450r.

I've currently shaved quite a bit of material of the inside (the space between the spokes and the rotor) of the rotor. I'm wondering if I need to dish (offset) the front wheel over a couple of MMs to add some clearance. I honestly don't know how far I can go before I hit the pistons if I keep grinding.

I've already dished the rear wheel over to clear the chain, so dishing the front is no problem and may even be beneficial in centering the wheels together. I just don't want to destroy the balance of the bike.

Any info any can give me would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM
-_-

Hey noodleman,

a few mm should be ok. I think I mentioned in one of your older threads that you should not get a road bike caliper, because itīs a pita to fit. Itīs just too thick. I tried it with an R6 caliper.

If I were you Iīd look for a Husqvarna Brembo 30/34 caliper. Theyīre narrow, itīs a Brembo, same design as the 916 and 748 calipers and it will fit better.

You can get one from Motomaster as wel, havenīt tried those.

The problem with grinding the Monster caliper is that the walls will get thin. If you grind it too far, who knows if it will leak?
Second problem is if you donīt grind the caliper you have to move the wheel to the other side. That way youīll lose the wheel alignment. I have done it to the rear wheel of my Husqvarna. While it was only 5mm out of center towards the left side, you would notice that it turns different left and right.

Iīd be cautious with realigning both wheels. Better spend 150$ on a proper caliper. Youīll get the money back when you want to sell it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

It's the same caliper your referring too I beleive. It's from a 99 M600.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM
-_-

No itīs not.

this is the 99 m600

This is the caliper you have

And this is the Husky caliper:
Brembo - Caliper 30/34 2 Piece Billet GP- Right -Front Brembo 40mm Bolt Center
Here is a picture of the one I had:
IMG_0248 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Itīs narrower
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thats the cast version of the billet 30/34 your referring to.

It has 30/34 pistons, and is narrower than the Nissins on my RC51. Way narrower.

You still have to remove some of the material off the back to make it clear the spokes. I've heard of people offsetting their front, so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

I love that billet caliper you posted. If I had the money I would buy one. Do you still have the Husky?

I just snagged a Magura front rotor and have a Magura radial master to compliment it. Eventually I'd like to find a Magura radial caliper. I'm just trying to stay within my Budget at the moment.

Thank You for the help btw. Building a supermoto is definetly a challenge, but I love it for that really. Seems getting info on builds is tricky.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Alright, just cleared spokes!

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode