New Sumo - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

New Sumo

Well I bit the bullet and picked up a brand new 09 DRZ yesterday. I look forward to ridng the piss out of this thing and using it for a track day bike. I figure this will be a great learning tool for track riding and once I get the hang of it, then the RC will come out.

I'm sure the two are apples and oranges in comparison but atleast I can get the basics down.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Big Thymer

Nice dude! You'll f'ing love the thing. It's only a 400, but still, they ride like they are on rails. You can come into turns hot and late and still have it compensate.

Do the James Dean jetting kit and the 3x3 mod and it will wake it up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm super pumped about this thing!

I have been reading mods and to-do's on these things all day. JD kit, 3x3 mod and MRD exhaust are in the works.

I also want to get rid of the graphic's that are one it, not really a fan of the barb wire. I'm trying to find some more 'race' oriented graphics...any ideas? Ebay doesn't have anything like that

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 AM

Congratulations!

Nice bike.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Big Thymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
I have been reading mods and to-do's on these things all day. JD kit, 3x3 mod and MRD exhaust are in the works.
You'll really love it. They are just such a blast, but if they were a 600 it would be better!

If you don't want to keep the stock stuff, I was amazed at how much it sold for on eBay. People paid stupid $$ for the plastics, turn signals and undertail. Anything that gets damaged easily when they go down.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
And Stateside again...

Ride it before the Mods then do the Mods and ride it again so you can feel the Difference.

The only thing i disliked about the DRZ's(compared to my CRF450R) was they are tanks. but they are way better on the street then the converted ones. But I would never buy one. The power of the race bikes is worth the maintenance to me

But congrats on the purchase. I bet you got a bangin deal on it since they aren't as much of a craze as they were 2-3 years ago.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I plan on riding it as is during the break it process, and to let the bank account recoup a little bit.

I did buy just a few cosmetic things.. zeta handgaurds, SM front fender, and DRC taillight. I also found a graphic's kit that is nice and simple. That barbwire is redic so that will be coming off this weekend. The only good about barbwire is Pam Anderson.

I did get a pretty good deal on it. Suzuki had 1k off any new bike deal going on. I got it for a little over 5k out the door with tax, title, reg. I went in to get brake fluid for the RC and came out with brake fluid and a new bike.

I guess the urge for a SuMo over came my outlook on buying anything other than a Honda.

I hear ya on the power of a MX bike compared to this and the maintenance wouldn't bother me either, I love wrenching on bikes! but like I said between living in NY and trying to get a title then buying a SuMo kit for it, this was just an easier route to take.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Much easier. I'm still building mine.

I just lace up the rear wheel today. OMG! Took me hours to figure out how to get it true.

TaDa!

Just ignore the grease.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I put the first 17 miles on this thing last night. I needed to ride and it was a little cold.

It will be a lot of fun once I get some mods and brake it in.

Here's and updated picture.
Attached Images

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Looks sweet man! How did it feel compared to the RC?

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
Looks sweet man! How did it feel compared to the RC?
Thanks man!

A lot slower comes to mind first. LOL. But of course.

Its not bad really as far as feel. Although heavy compared to an MX bike, but a lot lighter compared to the RC. It will be great in the twistys and around town. I def had a smile on my face while riding and swerving side to side like I'm warming up the tires.

Suspension seems to be a little stiff up front.

My comparo's probably suck. The RC was my first "real" bike where I really tried to get the feel for the bike and ride it properly. So its really all I know.

I think it will be good to have two completely different bikes. I'm sure it will be difficult at first going from one extreme to the other. Hopefully it makes me a better rider in that aspect.

All in all I like the DR-Z! Def looking forward to really riding it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Yeah, a sumo is a whole different animal. I can't wait to try out my crf project.

I'm not looking for speed, but rather the more freedom to ride on things like gravel roads, and jumps and such.

Good to hear it's working out.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Little update...

I no longer have the RC...I didnt have the time or the place for 2 bikes. The DRZ seemed to fit me a little better right now.

Anyways, I have been throwing parts at here and there trying to make it my own.

Just rolled over 800 miles

MRD/SSW exhaust
39mm FCR MX
3x3 mod with K&N filter
Bunch of Zeta billet pieces
MCCT
TT Case savers
Zeta Hand gaurds
SDG Step seat
DRC Tail Light
Zeta CF frame protectors
10 hp worth of stickers!

This winter I plan to tear into the motor, not to much but enough.

Next mod: Brakes!

My only gripe is that I really don't like the tires. I'll run them till winter and throw something new on next year.
Attached Images

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Looking good man. Best looking exhaust I've seen on a DRZ, hands down. Nice and clean. Enjoy it!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnin'Rubbers View Post
Looking good man. Best looking exhaust I've seen on a DRZ, hands down. Nice and clean. Enjoy it!
Thank you! The MRD is very nice exhaust and probably the best exhaust you can get for the DRZ. Makes just a hair less power compared to the TI yosh which is now discontinued. Also hand made and cost almost half of what the TI yosh goes for.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM

Looks way better bro!

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
Looks way better bro!
Thanks man, I just have to find a worthy graphics kit. Or desigin one myself and I don't even know where to start with doing that.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 PM

very nice dude

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Used to race on it before i get the RC51..
This bike good bullet proof engine..
I used for daily transport & race..
Bad part of it its heavy..same weight Husky 610..(correct me if im wrong)
Get the FCR 39, Yoshi camm..& bigger sprocket..
Even u get the big bore kit 435cc..Athena kit...

Luv the supermoto

My RC51:Endurance race fairing,Hyper Pro 3D Rear Shock & Front Linear Spring,Hyper Pro Height Raiser Kit,Gp Pro Gear Indicator,Brembo RCS Master Pump,Turn1 Kevlar Airbox & CF Intake,520 Chain 15/44,Power Race Tyre,Rumble Undertray,Flapper Valve,Pair Removal Mod,Rockwall Clipon,HRC 1/6 Fast Trottle,EBC HH Brake Pad, Scorpion SS Slipon Race Can,Harris Rear Set, Carbon Stator & Clutch CF Cover, Samco Rad Hose,JE Piston...more to come...:twocents :twocents :twocents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode