What I've been working on....... - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH
What I've been working on.......

Not as cool as Turbo's antique Kawi build, but I am building an IROC-ZX-10R

Parts have been arriving slowly over the last month so over the weekend I got busy and it's starting to look like a proper racebike.

Brembo MC with Triple Tree Pinch bolt reservoir mount

+ Spiegler lines

Ohlins TTX-GP shock with linear 5% race link

Not installed yet are the Ohlins forks which should be arriving this week & the M4 exhaust. The bodywork has been fitted and will be sent to the painters when I get back from Vegas next week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM

Looks nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#826 WERA Expert
post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM
And Stateside again...

Ooh No LDH has jumped the Honda ship.

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on the ZX10.
What made you chose that platform?
Why didn't you go R1? I love my cross plane crank motors characteristics.
Why didn't you go with the S1000rr?
Why not the RC8R?

IMO those are the only three that are worth questioning.
The Honda is outdated. might as well buy an 08/09 if you'r going to build it anyways. and the GSXR1000 is damn near the same way.
The R1 has heart and a crazy exhaust note that makes it a joy to ride.
The S1000rr has a ton of tech wizadry(so does the ZX10)
And well the RC8R is generally cool bike and would take you back to RC51 style. But lighter and more power.

post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
Ooh No LDH has jumped the Honda ship.

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on the ZX10.
What made you chose that platform?
Why didn't you go R1? I love my cross plane crank motors characteristics.
Why didn't you go with the S1000rr?
Why not the RC8R?

IMO those are the only three that are worth questioning.
The Honda is outdated. might as well buy an 08/09 if you'r going to build it anyways. and the GSXR1000 is damn near the same way.
The R1 has heart and a crazy exhaust note that makes it a joy to ride.
The S1000rr has a ton of tech wizadry(so does the ZX10)
And well the RC8R is generally cool bike and would take you back to RC51 style. But lighter and more power.

Well mainly because I wanted to do some club racing instead of just trackdays and the ZX-10R is the platform to have currently for that need.

Ironically the full size Kawi is the only current literbike I had not ridden in anger before I made the purchase. I had a lot of seat time on pro-level race S1000RR's and while they have good peak power they take a lot of effort to hustle them around. All that gyroscopic precession takes a toll on the handling in terms of braking and changing direction etc. The ZX-10R revs quicker than the S1000RR and is just overall easier to ride at an elevated pace

The R1 requires massive amounts of everything to make it handle & get horsepower out of it so I did not want to go that route again trying to make an uncompetitive bike work for me as I have done with so many Honda's in the past. Hell my 10year old 1000RR was still eating up new R1's just last season on long tracks where you can let the horses run free.

This Gen4 ZX-10R is stupid fast and with the ECU reflash downright dangerous in my opinion. Don't misconstrue I am well aware that the throttle goes both ways and I am sure I will hear some pansy ass remarks directed to me, but I can tell you it scared me already. Turning the Traction Control off is probably about as close to flying an F22 Raptor without the mandatory fly-by-wire controls it needs for stability as anyone would want to come. Sure it's quite docile if you ride around like a grandma on Sunday morning, but twist that grip like you mean it and it bucks, snorts and breathes fire as the rpms increase. This is not an exaggeration; I toe'd the quickshifter from 3rd to 4th somewhere around 100mph with the throttle pinned to the stop and the front wheel launched about 2 feet into the air as 4th gear engaged. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a street tire made that can give you enough grip to cope with the kind of power this bike puts out... I've ridden some pretty hot pro series racebikes in years past and they weren't as nasty as this thing can be. The Traction Control comes standard because it is pretty much mandatory to make the bike usable without a lunar landing.

post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Well mainly because I wanted to do some club racing instead of just trackdays and the ZX-10R is the platform to have currently for that need.

Ironically the full size Kawi is the only current literbike I had not ridden in anger before I made the purchase. I had a lot of seat time on pro-level race S1000RR's and while they have good peak power they take a lot of effort to hustle them around. All that gyroscopic precession takes a toll on the handling in terms of braking and changing direction etc. The ZX-10R revs quicker than the S1000RR and is just overall easier to ride at an elevated pace

The R1 requires massive amounts of everything to make it handle & get horsepower out of it so I did not want to go that route again trying to make an uncompetitive bike work for me as I have done with so many Honda's in the past. Hell my 10year old 1000RR was still eating up new R1's just last season on long tracks where you can let the horses run free.

This Gen4 ZX-10R is stupid fast and with the ECU reflash downright dangerous in my opinion. Don't misconstrue I am well aware that the throttle goes both ways and I am sure I will hear some pansy ass remarks directed to me, but I can tell you it scared me already. Turning the Traction Control off is probably about as close to flying an F22 Raptor without the mandatory fly-by-wire controls it needs for stability as anyone would want to come. Sure it's quite docile if you ride around like a grandma on Sunday morning, but twist that grip like you mean it and it bucks, snorts and breathes fire as the rpms increase. This is not an exaggeration; I toe'd the quickshifter from 3rd to 4th somewhere around 100mph with the throttle pinned to the stop and the front wheel launched about 2 feet into the air as 4th gear engaged. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a street tire made that can give you enough grip to cope with the kind of power this bike puts out... I've ridden some pretty hot pro series racebikes in years past and they weren't as nasty as this thing can be. The Traction Control comes standard because it is pretty much mandatory to make the bike usable without a lunar landing.

Good stuff! ...and I can't wait to see your build. Yes, the ZX10R is THE bike for racing right now. Just look at BSB. Practically the entire top 10 are occupied by ZX10Rs. lol

To be honest, the 2nd and 3rd gen liter bikes had more balls than the liters on the market today with the exception of the Flashed kawi, MV RR, and the Beemer. The new R1 barely cracks 148hp, the Honda, somewhere around 153hp, the GSX-R1000 probably around 156hp stock....... all of which would get spanked by my '05 MV F41000S which is a real shame really, when it comes to development.

That leaves the new MV RR at 167hp, The S1000RR at 175-178hp, and the Flashed ZX10R at around 172hp.

SECTION8 FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
LDH

More like 191rwhp reflashed & PCV tuned on race gas bro...

Having said that, Dan's S1000RR racebikes were 205 tuned on MR12

post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
More like 191rwhp reflashed & PCV tuned on race gas bro...

Having said that, Dan's S1000RR racebikes were 205 tuned on MR12

Doesn't that seem a bit "Optimistic"?

......there's that word again.

post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:36 PM

MR12 is the best thing since the invention of the motorcycle.

How do those motors tolerate MR12 with CRs in the 13s?

post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
Doesn't that seem a bit "Optimistic"?

......there's that word again.

Just because you like riding around on your grandpa's sportbike doesn't mean the rest of us have to

post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Just because you like riding around on your grandpa's sportbike doesn't mean the rest of us have to
lol. Burn!

I got nothin' for that. Stick a fork in me.

post #11 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Nice project! Looking good

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
post #12 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Currently: Moderating

Has Marv been a part of this build at all? Or have you snubbed him too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore

post #13 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 05:38 PM
And Stateside again...

Thanks for the Answer LDH. I rode a bone stock 2012 S1000rr and thought it was insane. I can only imagine if the ZX10 is that nasty. I didn't need that much power for a mainly street bike and am content with the R1's current 155hp to the wheels.
post #14 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM

I have an appointment to drop my 11 GSXR1000 (slow to some but its leading the points in two SE A Wera expert classes with me on it) at Livengood Motorsports May 17th for a complete redo of my current ecu setup. Going with a Dynojet PC with dyno tune and a quickshifter tune. Slipper clutch mod will also be performed at the same time.

Bikes not slow now by any stretch, I just want Brian to tune it out good before I go to Cycle Jam June 5-8 at Road Atlanta. Brian told me we'd see 180 hp out of it if all goes well. He got 200 hp on a buddy of mines stock BMW S1000r with a pipe and a dyno tune.

Also hp isn't all its cracked up to be if you only weigh 155 I will take a good handling bike over a hp bike all day long because that way I mke up the difference and I ride the bike not the other way around.

Plus we all know or should know by now its the rider at the club level and not the bike.

#826 WERA Expert
post #15 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
I will take a good handling bike over a hp bike all day long
...then why aren't you on a CBR1000RR?

post #16 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Quote:

Because they all handle like shit... The 04-05 lacks trail and is nose heavy like Blue Thunder, The 06-07 suffers less from the trail issue, but still has a weight problem and the 08+ bike needs trail, special linear links and still gets a ton of front end chatter in race conditions. User-Friendly engine (which means they sacrificed peak horsepower for mid-range performance) or not that is just too much to overcome for all, but the most deep pocketed racers.

post #17 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen one of those on the grid all year. See a few at trackdays It's all Suzuki, Kaw and the occasional rich guy on a BMW filling the grids.

#826 WERA Expert
post #18 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 PM
And Stateside again...

I still miss my 04-05. the wife loved the stock rear seat on it. she's still mad I sold it. but I agree it's a tank.
post #19 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Finally got around to slappin on the M4 and rear Spiegler line over the weekend.

Also picked up a Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle Kit for it. Probably won't install it until I get back from Vegas.

post #20 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:00 PM
And Stateside again...

I still need to install mine on the 750. Have had it for a while now and been lazy. Valve cover needs to go back on then I can take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode