What I've been working on....... - Page 4 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 PM

Just curious as to why you chose to venture back down RC51 Avenue; thought you had already been down that road and had the bumper sticker to show for it...... lol

cheers

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstr View Post
Just curious as to why you chose to venture back down RC51 Avenue; thought you had already been down that road and had the bumper sticker to show for it...... lol

cheers
Two reasons:

1. Marketing for my ROGUE RACING Business

2. After riding the ZX-10R in anger I am kinda glad to have a bike that doesn't require a pilots license and 100% mental focus to ride at speed around a track. As I keep getting older I don't bounce back as quick as I used to. A crash that used to be an inconvenience for the weekend is now a months long road to recovery. Either way it is a built in excuse as people don't expect nearly as much from you on a 15 year old overweight wallory pig as they do when you are on a 200hp cutting edge machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:15 AM

sounds good to me

Good luck with your build!

post #64 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Gold Sponsor

The VTR1000SP is a seductive bike
The styling is so original and beautiful that it kind of possess people
also in my opinion it is the closest thing chassis wise to an RS250 or another Honda race machine so very unique to ride(very thin and lithe even though too heavy in stock form)
It has possessed me since 2000 and sure the same for many others
post #65 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:48 PM

I have to agree that the RC is quite possibly the best looking bike Honda has ever produced...... well, apart from the Rune, Fury, DN-01 and NM4 of course, lol

post #66 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 AM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkobe View Post
The VTR1000SP is a seductive bike
The styling is so original and beautiful that it kind of possess people
also in my opinion it is the closest thing chassis wise to an RS250 or another Honda race machine so very unique to ride(very thin and lithe even though too heavy in stock form)
It has possessed me since 2000 and sure the same for many others
Well said Simon...totally agree, think alot of people are coming back to the SP1 and SP2....and I just bought my old racing buddies 96/98 NX5 RS250 yesterday..(sold mine in 08) the similarities you mention are spot on!

THERMAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post

i am a assshole and really it all boils down to that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Gold Sponsor

good to hear!
another beautiful Honda creation!
post #68 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Tough Crowd Racing #162

Send a message via AIM to eppy01f4i Send a message via Yahoo to eppy01f4i
Update on the 51 LDH?

I still miss my 51
Should have never sold the damn thing.

Mark~
10 RSV4 R
04 GSX-R 750
Tough Crowd Racing

post #69 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Street and Track Moderator

Good to see you back here Eppy and Rothmans... Plus 1 on the updates LDH...

CCS #33
CRA #533
CQC Motorsports
2011 CCS Midwest Rookies Cup GTO #1
2014 CRA Formula 40 #2
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited SS #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited Superbike #1
2015 CRA Nov Unlimited GP #1

2008 CBR 1000rr (Race)
2012 Multistrada 1200 (Street Ride)
post #70 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Send a message via AIM to LDH Send a message via MSN to LDH Send a message via Yahoo to LDH
A very special thanks to Simon Kobe for bringing to my attention this uber cool blue Brembo unit and then procuring it for me!

post #71 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM

Sounds like it's coming along quite nicely. Good job LDH.

SECTION8 FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #72 of 121 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Ohlins 30mm NIX Cartridge Kit with SKF seals and new bushings installed

post #73 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:26 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
I was all set to pull the plug on those, and then we had a baby, moved cross country, started two businesses and so on and so forth. totally worth it, but I definitely see some DK fork magic in my future, just not as soon as I had hoped.

06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #74 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
I was all set to pull the plug on those, and then we had a baby, moved cross country, started two businesses and so on and so forth. totally worth it, but I definitely see some DK fork magic in my future, just not as soon as I had hoped.

I've used the 30mm Kits on several other trackbikes and I know how good they are. I'm really really looking forward to trying them out on the RC51. I've learned so much more about riding since I originally tested the various suspension goodies on the RC51 that I am really thinking this might be the difference for me so I can finally get on with this bike and really get something out of it. I'm not saying the forks alone were holding me back way back when, but I am hoping I get some more overall confidence and control out of the 30mm NIX kit so I can bend the RC more towards my riding style which is centered around trailbraking.

I'm secretly hoping there is some sort of revelation when I throw a leg over it this time, but somewhere in the back of my mind hidden under some propped up optimism and service manuals committed to memory is the caustic reality that it is probably going to be a fat wallory pig of a bike and suck.

post #75 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:38 PM
And Stateside again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I'm secretly hoping there is some sort of revelation when I throw a leg over it this time, but somewhere in the back of my mind hidden under some propped up optimism and service manuals committed to memory is the caustic reality that it is probably going to be a fat wallory pig of a bike That sounds bad ass.
Minor correction.

it's definitely not going to be the lightweight beast your ZX10 was.
post #76 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
LDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRSKUNK View Post
Minor correction.

it's definitely not going to be the lightweight beast your ZX10 was.
is

post #77 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
....but I am hoping I get some more overall confidence and control out of the 30mm NIX kit so I can bend the RC more towards my riding style which is centered around trailbraking.
When and how do you trail brake? At what point do you release the brake(s) entirely? All the way to the apex while gradually releasing brake pressure? Do you use both the front and the rear brake? Do you use the rear to tighten your line? Some great riders (like Kevin Schwantz for example) almost never used their rear brake while others like Doohan (whose body positioning you used to closely mirror)relied heavily on the rear brake.

I personally believe that riding bikes with ridiculous levels of power can cause laziness and a profound erosion of one's skills as it becomes so easy to fall into bad habits. In my limited experience, I always found the best way to recover my chops and confidence was to ride small., be it an old 125 or 250 RS or TZ 2 smoke or even a 600 which would allow me to focus on sustaining momentum, gradually build confidence in my front tire grip/corner speed and compliment that with flat tracking an XR100.

post #78 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
LDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsess View Post
When and how do you trail brake? At what point do you release the brake(s) entirely? All the way to the apex while gradually releasing brake pressure? Do you use both the front and the rear brake? Do you use the rear to tighten your line? Some great riders (like Kevin Schwantz for example) almost never used their rear brake while others like Doohan (whose body positioning you used to closely mirror)relied heavily on the rear brake.

I personally believe that riding bikes with ridiculous levels of power can cause laziness and a profound erosion of one's skills as it becomes so easy to fall into bad habits. In my limited experience, I always found the best way to recover my chops and confidence was to ride small., be it an old 125 or 250 RS or TZ 2 smoke or even a 600 which would allow me to focus on sustaining momentum, gradually build confidence in my front tire grip/corner speed and compliment that with flat tracking an XR100.
I'm going to try to be brief here because I just got back from up North delivering a bike damaged at Laguna Seca to its owner who had been in the hospital after a crash

My 1000RR was slow for a literbike even when it was new in 2004 and in spite of the HRC goodies installed. I learned to trailbrake to the ****in absolute limit on it not just to alter the geometry of the bike to aid in turn-in and finishing the turn which was also a problem with a massive lack of trail in the bike, but to increase the contact patch of the front tire right up to the apex sometimes even further before I ever so gently released it and got back on the gas. I can still catch just about anyone on the brakes into any turn on any track.

At that same time I never used the rear brake. It just (no pun intended) slowed me down. I learned early on with the RC51 let alone the 1000RR that the rear brake was more trouble than it was worth. I went so far as to disconnect the rear brake line completely so I could prove to my students that you could run an advanced pace and not need the rear brake. Unfortunately that is only true when you are dealing with a 400lb bike with 155 or so rwhp. 10 years later I find myself with a 200rwhp ZX-10 that will wheelie at ANY lean angle if you feed in enough throttle in the first 4 gears and now I find myself covering the cast iron rear brake 24/7 because I am constantly using it to set the front end down so I can resume proper braking duties with the front! Amazing enough if the front end is still in the air you will miss your braking marker (go figure). All those years I spent telling my students that you don't need a rear brake could have been spent working on that particular skillset as I find myself really lacking in the ability to modulate and control the rear of the ZX-10 properly. Next up is a thumb brake btw

The worst part though is the ZX-10 does not need to be ridden in that heavy trailbraking manner to be competitive. It has the grip and the horsepower to be ridden in a more conventional way, but I have been doing the trailbraking thing for so long now that I am just having a hard time all the way around with this new bike. I'm literally about 7 seconds off my old 1000RR laptimes at most tracks. That being said I knew the 1000RR so well it was like riding by telepathy and because I was so familiar with it I simply wanted to go faster this lap than I did last lap. That was its entire purpose in life.

The ZX-10 is so stupid fast that I don't have to entertain myself with laptimes when I am too busy laughing at the wicked 120+mph wheelies and lighting up the rear tire in places the old 1000RR would never even dream of. Plus I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I am still a little bit reluctant to let the ZX all hang out for fear of crashing it that first time when I would not waste a millisecond worrying about wadding up my 1000RR

post #79 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 AM

Sorry for my blathering pontificating. I was literally falling asleep at the keyboard thinking about how great it feels when you properly load up the front tire with a combination of smooth and fast corner entry and the unloading the front off the apex when gently cracking open the throttle and picking up the bike and the gas as quickly and smoothly as possible.

post #80 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
LDH

Actually sounds like we're on the same page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode