Yamaha MT-O1 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion > Street & Track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Yamaha MT-O1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 AM

this is sort of a V-rod-ish thing from japan then...right?

45 deg V-tin hot rod.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: (drsus)

Yamaha
Concept bike
looks like this:

Old 03-16-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: (Ducman851)

MT01
*shudder* pushrods

I really dont understand how a company that makes such great sportbikes has such piles of shit for cruisers...and if you dont think they are, try working on one sometime

Modified by Dezmo at 9:52 PM 3/15/2005
Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Yamaha MT-O1 (Toxic)

I don't think it's a concept bike anymore. I think it's the real thing, pushrods and all.

How about that cruiser with the muffer that's about as big as 2 golf bags put together. Drag Star?

Anyone who hasn't seen a MT-01 first hand it sure looks small. More Buell size, than V-Max.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Yamaha MT-O1 (Just Riding Along)

Your right,,,,not a concept. I've seen ride and reviews already on this bike in a pretty current issue of Superbikes Magazine,,,,a British mag.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 AM

Sadly it seems to look better than it goes, weighs 240kg and only 90hp!! Shit load of torque at peak of 3750 rpm, redline at 5500rpm. Pretty narrow rev range really for a cruiser, bit like a diesel really!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Yamaha MT-O1 (kiwigav)

for those who dont know, the motor is the same one in the Road star 1600/1700 and the warrior 1700, a motor legendary for its lack of power. Yamaha sells a 'speed star' kit thats bumps the warrior to a whopping 100hp, for only $5000.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Yamaha MT-O1 (Dezmo)

I have to ask then if you get bumped up to 100 horse for 5K what does it start out at?

Yamaha was trundling one of these around Canada over the winter. We're a little bit Euro (and a little bit country).
Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM

I think it is pretty cool. It's unique and would be fun on twisties, while not delivering ultimate performance. Kind of like an MZ Baghira.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no question that the bike is very cool looking. When the concept bike was first introduced, everyone was drooling over what was expected to be the modern day equivalent/replacement for the V-Max which in its heyday was one of the quickest bikes you could buy. It certainly looks like it should be scorchingly quick and the probability that it isn't has to be a dissappointment for the many fans who were ready to plunk down the cash for one. I won't go so far as to say its a poseur bike because I really don't know much about it and it may have some very good qualities but if this is the result powerwise, its definitely not what I hoped for or expected. The V-Max is a legendary bike which has built up a substantial cult status/following over the years. You don't see that too often with Japanese bikes really. I think Yamaha had a great opportunity to really capitalize on that status with this bike but it seems to me they blew it........

But then again, maybe Yamaha is actually targeting an entirely different type buyer and the bike will be a huge sales success, so who the hell knows.......
Old 03-16-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: (bsess)

I think they should have updated the VMax and left this one a concept bike...
Old 03-16-2005, 09:02 PM

Link to production version photos: http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallp...x.htm
Old 03-16-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Yamaha MT-O1 (999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it is pretty cool. It's unique and would be fun on twisties, while not delivering ultimate performance. Kind of like an MZ Baghira. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, and twice the horsepower from only 3x the displacement and twice the price too! wow what a bargin!

Modified by Dezmo at 5:32 PM 3/16/2005
Old 03-17-2005, 02:11 AM

If I was going to get a Yam Cruiser it would be this one

Old 03-17-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: (TBONE)

I think the MT-01 looks rather cool, but the price is way to high for me. It is supposed to be selling in Australia for about $22,500. Considering that my '04 R1 was $2,500 cheaper than that, I don't think I'll get one.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: (Bucko)

It does look super cool in person. Probably enough to overpower common sense for some folks.

I always look at KTM Super Moto's as daily riders, and then notice the price is the same as a 600 sport bike.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: (Dezmo)

I my reaction was the same last year when I first saw the 2053cc Kawasaki.Let me make no mistake,I rode Harleys for almost 20 years.The part that blows me away is that Kawasaki tries to justify pushrods by saying it lowers overall engine height,to me it is a retrograde step.Obviously,just like Harley itself did,they followed what the market demands.I feel we all should just ride our sportbikes and leave the fat,overweight and soggy cruisers to those foolish enough to throw the outragous prices they ask for them.Better off with a Wing or an ST-1100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement