2013 MV Agusta F4 RR - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion > Street & Track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Default 2013 MV Agusta F4 RR

May we discuss something else besides Larry's crashed underachiever ? Full e-package and Ti rods thrown in for good measure . Still too heavy , but fvcking awesome nonetheless ! A local dealer has one for $25,000CAD ; tempting .

2013 MV Agusta F4 and F4 RR | Review

THE LEGEND
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Panigaliscious

I'd buy one over an HP4 without even thinking about it.

However, when put to a choice of the MV, Pani S, or RSV4 Factory the choice comes much tougher.

This is why MV has always been and probably always will be a very niche brand, so many other excellent choices.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to duckdawg Send a message via AIM to duckdawg

still dead sexy...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
still dead sexy...
until you sit on it..
2006 Honda CRF450R
2007 Honda CRF 150R (Supermoto)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
V4 CyclePath...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_ICEMAN View Post
until you sit on it..
No problem... ship it to Larry and he'll make it comfy... that is when he's not
riding his pristine over achiever...
Attached Images

94 RC45 #2
90 RC30 #44 sold
Have a wheelie NICE day...
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
1952 De Havilland Chipmunk...
Yank and bank your brains loose...
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/-xlax-/
http://home.comcast.net/~netters2/
http://www.fox302.com/index.pl?s=vg&user=netters2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10503451@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55532474@N00/?saved=1

Last edited by Busy Little Shop; 05-02-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 AM

This is a terrible time of year to get a deal on a current bike , so I'm going to keep an eye on the RR's MSRP ; hopefully it'll still be around in September . Doubtful considering there are so few available though . A different dealer (5 minutes from me) still has new 2011 F4's and Brutale's for $13K , with no plans on getting an RR . Another "concern" is the question of where and how I could use the performance of the RR with the closest track 3 hours away . After all , we're not talking about a twenty-year-old , 97 HP droner . In my area , a single speeding ticket can triple or cancel your insurance . I know , such utilitarian considerations be damned when one is following a passion !

THE LEGEND
Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 AM

Default Track Weapon

Total Track weapon.

Electronic suspension is the ticket.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
I'd buy one over an HP4 without even thinking about it.

However, when put to a choice of the MV, Pani S, or RSV4 Factory the choice comes much tougher.

This is why MV has always been and probably always will be a very niche brand, so many other excellent choices.

so between the Ape and the Duc, which one would you pick Burns?...
Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Panigaliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
so between the Ape and the Duc, which one would you pick Burns?...
We signed the contract to put in a pool a couple of weeks ago along with some serious landscape work, so my purchase is now at least 2015. By that time $20k will buy one of each.

But if I had to pick one new today (RSV4 Factory or Pani S) I would lean toward the Factory. Although either way I would wish I had the other one as well. I think the Panigale is the best-looking, sexiest bike made today. But the Aprilia is so well thought out and sounds like nothing else made today, not to mention the second-sexiest bike available.

My old Mille and 851 will have to do for now. At least I rode the Aprilia three days this week before it freaking SNOWED this morning. Al Gore can bite me...
Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM

yea dude, I hear ya, so much for global warming,lol...

finally broke down and decided to put a set of belts on the 748, would love a new bike, but like you, not in the cards for me right now...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM

The 2013 RR is awesome.....but its gotten SOOOO FAT compared to the older F4....
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM

Wouldn't touch anything made by MV Agusta with a ten ft pole.
The reason? Yes, it's a good bike, but one that requires far too much babying and pray you don't need any other spares than brake pads and filters.

A tad more will buy a brand new ABS equipped Panigale S, the BMW HP4S is exactly the same price and the RSV4F APCR is a tad cheaper (throw in Aprilia's crazy price policy and it become intriguingly cheaper).

Leaving Aprilia aside (whose sale and service network resembles a Dalmatian dog), why bother with MV when both Ducati and BMW have solid networks and their bikes don't require any more babying than other sportsbikes?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Currently Festering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
The reason? Yes, it's a good bike, but one that requires far too much babying and pray you don't need any other spares than brake pads and filters.

A tad more will buy a brand new ABS equipped Panigale S, the BMW HP4S is exactly the same price and the RSV4F APCR is a tad cheaper (throw in Aprilia's crazy price policy and it become intriguingly cheaper).

Leaving Aprilia aside (whose sale and service network resembles a Dalmatian dog), why bother with MV when both Ducati and BMW have solid networks and their bikes don't require any more babying than other sportsbikes?
Agreed. I'd suggest surfing the MV Agusta etc sites before buying; I'm sure you know it. But a quick search using 'reliability' is a big help.

I did it yrs back when considering the KTM 950 Adventure and the BMW GS. The BMW GS line had significantly less issues compared to the KTM and that has borne out over time and ownership between my bikes (GS and HP2E) and a friends 950's.

I did the same last season when considering a new sportbike.

F4RR is $30K in Canada, so $25K is a good deal but the HP4 is $20K, only 3K up on the S1RR. F4RR wasn't in the cards for me but I seriously considered the Panigale ($20K), MVAF4 ($20K), RSV4 ($22-24K), and RC8 (discounted $15K) last season.

Got a great deal on a new 2011, 1 yr old model S1RR plus the best warranty - 3 yrs although Ducati may be similar, I cannot remember.

In the end, for my money the most advanced bikes and best dealer networks won out (BMW and Ducati). No Ducati dealer in town at the time made it an easier decision.

There definitely is something to be said for the heart v. head angle but tbh once the puppy love period wears off there is something to be said for reliability and knowing it is going to start every time. FWIW I still want an MV as I own more than one bike. I can't imagine it as my only bike. The season is too short here in Canada and downtime repairing an MV is long. Suggest also checking out how long parts take to arrive.

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 AM

I too was under the impression that the F4RR would cost $30Kcad but the dealer assures me that $25K is MSRP ; haven't had time to check it on the manu's Canadian site (if there is one ) . If I can snag it for $20K OTD in the dead of winter , I'm going for it . I expect an MV to have little niggling issues and I've read that the major components are actually very robust . One just needs to be diligent about maintenance and fluid levels . Amusingly and ironically , the rags go on and on about the quality of MV's fit and finish , but the brand new examples I've seen (especially around the welds) don't even come close to my faithful , now 7 year old RC51 ; I suppose such evaluations are subjective . As for the question of " Why MV vs. Ducati or BMW ? " , well , I'm ready for something different , dare I say , exotic , and I already own the greatest V-twin ever made . Now , if the RR had full geared-cam-drive , I'd buy the little bastard tomorrow!

THE LEGEND
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post

I completely disagree. Ive owned 3 MV's, 2 F4's and a Brutale. While I didnt like the brutale, the F4's were awesome. I used them hard, rode them fast and never had a single issue. Not one.

As with any specialty item you will find people asking for help with issues. You wont see weekly updates like 'Hey guys, my MV is running great, no issues this month.'

Ive has much more problems with a Yamaha, and a NIGHTMARE Suzuki than any Italian bike Ive owned. I street ride them and also use them at trackdays.... I will own another MV, no question.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
I completely disagree. Ive owned 3 MV's, 2 F4's and a Brutale. While I didnt like the brutale, the F4's were awesome. I used them hard, rode them fast and never had a single issue. Not one.

As with any specialty item you will find people asking for help with issues. You wont see weekly updates like 'Hey guys, my MV is running great, no issues this month.'

Ive has much more problems with a Yamaha, and a NIGHTMARE Suzuki than any Italian bike Ive owned. I street ride them and also use them at trackdays.... I will own another MV, no question.
Yes the greatest bikes ever made.

I'll rush out and buy one immediately.
Advertisement