Harley Death Wobble (Alarming video) - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion > Street & Track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Default Harley Death Wobble (Alarming video)

This is alarming, I knew they were junk....Local Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM

At the beginning of the broadcast, did she really say "get behind the WHEEL of a Harley"?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Cripes, didja see the guy's leg? Not to mention all the other injuries. Amazing what a 25 mile an hour get off will do. Sheesh.

I totally buy his story. I have seen Harleys do that weave crap on the roads in SoCal. As far as the Motor Company's allegations that "it happens to all manufacturers", yeah and when it does, there is a major recall and responsibility is taken by the manufacturer, not denial. I mean law enforcement rides those antiques fer cryin out loud-I'm gonna stop before I start ranting...
2001 996SPS #1548
2001 748RS
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

"May the bridges you burn light the way."
-Mcsorleys Old Ale House
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Currently: Moderating

Hysterical! They buy the bike for no other reason than it's a Harley and then are amazed it rides like shit and will eventually kill them. Way to go guys!

Maybe it had a faulty damper on it?
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 PM
This space for rent

The FLH's previous to '09 had rubber swingarm bushings that would go to shit eventually, there are better one's available along with a tru-track system to keep this from happening. '09 and newer are redesigned and don't exhibit these tendencies.

I can't believe that guy in the video couldn't handle it at 25 MPH, hell he should have been able to jump off and run along side the bike at that speed. It sucks he got hurt but hearing him talk about it he expected himself to crash like a person target fixating on a tree or something.

Honda ST1300's have a death wobble also, a lot of European PD's quit using them because of this fault. I'm sure some have never had a problem but it is pretty well documented that it happens.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 PM
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelcossack View Post
Cripes, didja see the guy's leg? Not to mention all the other injuries. Amazing what a 25 mile an hour get off will do. Sheesh.

I totally buy his story. I have seen Harleys do that weave crap on the roads in SoCal. As far as the Motor Company's allegations that "it happens to all manufacturers", yeah and when it does, there is a major recall and responsibility is taken by the manufacturer, not denial. I mean law enforcement rides those antiques fer cryin out loud-I'm gonna stop before I start ranting...
Every manufacturer would deny there is a problem, in this instance they would say the swingarm bushings are worn out and it's the owners responsiblity to make sure the bike is properly maintained.

Honda won't admit that the ST 1300 has a similar problem, some of the Brit bike mags have done stories on Police Officers who have been hurt when their bikes went into an uncontrollable wobble.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 AM

Maybe Harley will start to promote safety gear now!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 AM

Enjoy the ride posers, lol Darwinism at its finest.......
Old 05-25-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latebraker View Post
Every manufacturer would deny there is a problem, in this instance they would say the swingarm bushings are worn out and it's the owners responsiblity to make sure the bike is properly maintained.

Honda won't admit that the ST 1300 has a similar problem, some of the Brit bike mags have done stories on Police Officers who have been hurt when their bikes went into an uncontrollable wobble.

I'm thinking of The Great TL1000S Recall of 1998 and I think there was a Triumph that had a problem which they owned up to as well. I owned a 1997 TL which was apparently immune, although mine did have a moment once that I rode out and it never occurred again. Suzuki recalled all the TL's and installed a damper after one (1) famous incident that occurred. I'm going by memory here, so...

Jami as far as you assertion that they should expect shitty handling from a Harley, I totally agree. Should they expect something that will kill or maim them while out for a leisurely ride? I don't think that's reasonable.

Speaking to the guy in the news report, he seems like a guy that has had (according to him) much experience and has paid his dues on many motorcycles of many styles. He probably wanted to slow down on a Road Couch and this is what he gets. I think he has a reasonable expectation that it won't spit him off.

If Harley has a chassis design employing a wear item that is not normally checked or replaced regularly, fails over time and causes injury or death, the problem is the design, not the part wearing out and subsequent lack of replacement by the owner. That's my logic. Are motor mounts part of inspections on a Harley? It think if they were, police departments would be replacing them.
2001 996SPS #1548
2001 748RS
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

"May the bridges you burn light the way."
-Mcsorleys Old Ale House
Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 AM

Default Problems

Leaned over to far (for a Harley) To much weight, bias ply tires, dragging hard parts, To fast for the corner based on lean angle, 1947 design. List goes on and on. Poor frame design etc.

Older V-Max were known for an unnerving wobble in 85MPH plus corners.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjablo View Post
Leaned over to far (for a Harley) To much weight, bias ply tires, dragging hard parts, To fast for the corner based on lean angle, 1947 design. List goes on and on. Poor frame design etc.

To think, the name on the tank makes it all worthwhile, the loser owners even putting their lives on the line just so they can be seen riding around on those chromed-up wales... Suck it up posers!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelcossack View Post
Jami as far as you assertion that they should expect shitty handling from a Harley, I totally agree. Should they expect something that will kill or maim them while out for a leisurely ride? I don't think that's reasonable.
What do you expect to get when you buy a bike that wasn't made to handle well, wasn't made to accelerate well, wasn't made to brake well.........? What did you think you were buying? Oh, a piece of shitty American history. Here's to hoping they go out of business but unfortunately there are too many idiots in the US for that to happen.
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami6989 View Post
What do you expect to get when you buy a bike that wasn't made to handle well, wasn't made to accelerate well, wasn't made to brake well.........? What did you think you were buying? Oh, a piece of shitty American history. Here's to hoping they go out of business but unfortunately there are too many idiots in the US and elsewhere in the world for that to happen.
Fixed it for ya.... and may I commend you for a very accurate statement.....
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 AM

OMG

heres something interesting and relevant

Metallic Glass – Injection Mold Metal Like Plastic
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM

It's interesting to note the parallel between H-D and Honda.
The Pan European (ST1300 to you Americans ) developed quite a reputation for wobbling at high speeds. Honda took the issue quite seriously, going as far as borrowing bikes from both law enforcement agencies and private owners to test them and see if they could replicate the problem. They couldn't.
But this doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. It's probably down to a combination of road conditions, tyre types, equipment positioning etc. Very, very hard to pin down.

I don't know if H-D went through a similar procedure to pin down problems and fix them and then raised a white flag or they simply did the math and found it's cheaper to live with them.
Ford did the math about the Pinto and they found it was simply cheaper to go to court over every single case than recalling the cars.
H-D may have reasoned juries see motorcycling as inherently dangerous, so they may always blame "rider's error" or "speeding" for it and know that unless the offended part has a bulletproof case they have reasonable chances of success.

Having said that it's pretty much unbelievable H-D is still managing to sell so many bikes with such a dated design. If you rode any Japanese cruiser from the past twenty years it will feel like a starship next to an H-D. When I test-rode the VTX1800 I found asking myself "Why are people still buying H-D's when you have this available?"
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
Having said that it's pretty much unbelievable H-D is still managing to sell so many bikes with such a dated design. If you rode any Japanese cruiser from the past twenty years it will feel like a starship next to an H-D. When I test-rode the VTX1800 I found asking myself "Why are people still buying H-D's when you have this available?"
"Cause it ain`t a Harley"......
Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to duckdawg Send a message via AIM to duckdawg

the news lady daid it herself, it's not just a motorcycle, it' a lifestyle...
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 PM

H-D can likely remedy this problem by installing steering dampers on the usually afflicted bikes (low cost), stiffening the frame/steering head or acquiring a license from Hasbro to incorporate their old but proven Weeble stability & safety design technology into all new Harleys. Then, H-D owners will be able to wobble down the highways and back roads of the world without fear or loss of confidence. And then, after a long day of pleasurable and safe riding, owners will be able to face their iron horses and justifiably say with sincere affection and gratitude:
"That'll do Pig,.....that'll do."

Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 PM

To quote the the video

"I just buy cause it's a Harley"

Need I say more.

I still never understood why police departments would waste there money on that sh!t. Wouldn't you want a bike that was more capable? I've been seeing an officer around here on a BMW 2 1200 GS. Now that makes sense. dirt, pavement, the mall. That's why an officer would want a motorcycle IMO.

03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
To quote the the video

"I just buy cause it's a Harley"

Need I say more.

I still never understood why police departments would waste there money on that sh!t. Wouldn't you want a bike that was more capable? I've been seeing an officer around here on a BMW 2 1200 GS. Now that makes sense. dirt, pavement, the mall. That's why an officer would want a motorcycle IMO.
The essence of poser-ism right there......
Advertisement