Harley Death Wobble (Alarming video) - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RAZR51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,558
Harley Death Wobble (Alarming video)

This is alarming, I knew they were junk....Local Video
RAZR51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Junior Member
 
DaMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 13
At the beginning of the broadcast, did she really say "get behind the WHEEL of a Harley"?
DaMuffinMan is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Senior Member
 
twowheelcossack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 607
Cripes, didja see the guy's leg? Not to mention all the other injuries. Amazing what a 25 mile an hour get off will do. Sheesh.

I totally buy his story. I have seen Harleys do that weave crap on the roads in SoCal. As far as the Motor Company's allegations that "it happens to all manufacturers", yeah and when it does, there is a major recall and responsibility is taken by the manufacturer, not denial. I mean law enforcement rides those antiques fer cryin out loud-I'm gonna stop before I start ranting...

2001 996SPS #1548
2001 748RS
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

"May the bridges you burn light the way."
-Mcsorleys Old Ale House
twowheelcossack is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Currently: Moderating
 
Jami6989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 12,574
Hysterical! They buy the bike for no other reason than it's a Harley and then are amazed it rides like shit and will eventually kill them. Way to go guys!

Maybe it had a faulty damper on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Jami6989 is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 PM
This space for rent
 
Latebraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 1,478
The FLH's previous to '09 had rubber swingarm bushings that would go to shit eventually, there are better one's available along with a tru-track system to keep this from happening. '09 and newer are redesigned and don't exhibit these tendencies.

I can't believe that guy in the video couldn't handle it at 25 MPH, hell he should have been able to jump off and run along side the bike at that speed. It sucks he got hurt but hearing him talk about it he expected himself to crash like a person target fixating on a tree or something.

Honda ST1300's have a death wobble also, a lot of European PD's quit using them because of this fault. I'm sure some have never had a problem but it is pretty well documented that it happens.

Latebraker is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 PM
This space for rent
 
Latebraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelcossack View Post
Cripes, didja see the guy's leg? Not to mention all the other injuries. Amazing what a 25 mile an hour get off will do. Sheesh.

I totally buy his story. I have seen Harleys do that weave crap on the roads in SoCal. As far as the Motor Company's allegations that "it happens to all manufacturers", yeah and when it does, there is a major recall and responsibility is taken by the manufacturer, not denial. I mean law enforcement rides those antiques fer cryin out loud-I'm gonna stop before I start ranting...
Every manufacturer would deny there is a problem, in this instance they would say the swingarm bushings are worn out and it's the owners responsiblity to make sure the bike is properly maintained.

Honda won't admit that the ST 1300 has a similar problem, some of the Brit bike mags have done stories on Police Officers who have been hurt when their bikes went into an uncontrollable wobble.

Latebraker is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RAZR51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,558
Maybe Harley will start to promote safety gear now!!!
RAZR51 is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,632
Enjoy the ride posers, lol Darwinism at its finest.......

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mikstr is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Senior Member
 
twowheelcossack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latebraker View Post
Every manufacturer would deny there is a problem, in this instance they would say the swingarm bushings are worn out and it's the owners responsiblity to make sure the bike is properly maintained.

Honda won't admit that the ST 1300 has a similar problem, some of the Brit bike mags have done stories on Police Officers who have been hurt when their bikes went into an uncontrollable wobble.

I'm thinking of The Great TL1000S Recall of 1998 and I think there was a Triumph that had a problem which they owned up to as well. I owned a 1997 TL which was apparently immune, although mine did have a moment once that I rode out and it never occurred again. Suzuki recalled all the TL's and installed a damper after one (1) famous incident that occurred. I'm going by memory here, so...

Jami as far as you assertion that they should expect shitty handling from a Harley, I totally agree. Should they expect something that will kill or maim them while out for a leisurely ride? I don't think that's reasonable.

Speaking to the guy in the news report, he seems like a guy that has had (according to him) much experience and has paid his dues on many motorcycles of many styles. He probably wanted to slow down on a Road Couch and this is what he gets. I think he has a reasonable expectation that it won't spit him off.

If Harley has a chassis design employing a wear item that is not normally checked or replaced regularly, fails over time and causes injury or death, the problem is the design, not the part wearing out and subsequent lack of replacement by the owner. That's my logic. Are motor mounts part of inspections on a Harley? It think if they were, police departments would be replacing them.

2001 996SPS #1548
2001 748RS
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure

"May the bridges you burn light the way."
-Mcsorleys Old Ale House
twowheelcossack is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Senior Member
 
rjjablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shoreview MN
Posts: 1,453
Problems

Leaned over to far (for a Harley) To much weight, bias ply tires, dragging hard parts, To fast for the corner based on lean angle, 1947 design. List goes on and on. Poor frame design etc.

Older V-Max were known for an unnerving wobble in 85MPH plus corners.
rjjablo is offline  
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjablo View Post
Leaned over to far (for a Harley) To much weight, bias ply tires, dragging hard parts, To fast for the corner based on lean angle, 1947 design. List goes on and on. Poor frame design etc.

To think, the name on the tank makes it all worthwhile, the loser owners even putting their lives on the line just so they can be seen riding around on those chromed-up wales... Suck it up posers!

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mikstr is offline  
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Currently: Moderating
 
Jami6989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 12,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelcossack View Post
Jami as far as you assertion that they should expect shitty handling from a Harley, I totally agree. Should they expect something that will kill or maim them while out for a leisurely ride? I don't think that's reasonable.
What do you expect to get when you buy a bike that wasn't made to handle well, wasn't made to accelerate well, wasn't made to brake well.........? What did you think you were buying? Oh, a piece of shitty American history. Here's to hoping they go out of business but unfortunately there are too many idiots in the US for that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Jami6989 is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami6989 View Post
What do you expect to get when you buy a bike that wasn't made to handle well, wasn't made to accelerate well, wasn't made to brake well.........? What did you think you were buying? Oh, a piece of shitty American history. Here's to hoping they go out of business but unfortunately there are too many idiots in the US and elsewhere in the world for that to happen.
Fixed it for ya.... and may I commend you for a very accurate statement.....

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mikstr is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,051
OMG

heres something interesting and relevant

Metallic Glass – Injection Mold Metal Like Plastic
UnpaintedHuffhines is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
DesperateSP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Alps... the original ones!
Posts: 2,607
It's interesting to note the parallel between H-D and Honda.
The Pan European (ST1300 to you Americans ) developed quite a reputation for wobbling at high speeds. Honda took the issue quite seriously, going as far as borrowing bikes from both law enforcement agencies and private owners to test them and see if they could replicate the problem. They couldn't.
But this doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. It's probably down to a combination of road conditions, tyre types, equipment positioning etc. Very, very hard to pin down.

I don't know if H-D went through a similar procedure to pin down problems and fix them and then raised a white flag or they simply did the math and found it's cheaper to live with them.
Ford did the math about the Pinto and they found it was simply cheaper to go to court over every single case than recalling the cars.
H-D may have reasoned juries see motorcycling as inherently dangerous, so they may always blame "rider's error" or "speeding" for it and know that unless the offended part has a bulletproof case they have reasonable chances of success.

Having said that it's pretty much unbelievable H-D is still managing to sell so many bikes with such a dated design. If you rode any Japanese cruiser from the past twenty years it will feel like a starship next to an H-D. When I test-rode the VTX1800 I found asking myself "Why are people still buying H-D's when you have this available?"

Shame on me, my heart is black.
DesperateSP2 is offline  
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateSP2 View Post
Having said that it's pretty much unbelievable H-D is still managing to sell so many bikes with such a dated design. If you rode any Japanese cruiser from the past twenty years it will feel like a starship next to an H-D. When I test-rode the VTX1800 I found asking myself "Why are people still buying H-D's when you have this available?"
"Cause it ain`t a Harley"......

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mikstr is offline  
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
duckdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lumberton, Texas
Posts: 5,747
the news lady daid it herself, it's not just a motorcycle, it' a lifestyle...

...dawg
duckdawg is offline  
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
bsess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,917
H-D can likely remedy this problem by installing steering dampers on the usually afflicted bikes (low cost), stiffening the frame/steering head or acquiring a license from Hasbro to incorporate their old but proven Weeble stability & safety design technology into all new Harleys. Then, H-D owners will be able to wobble down the highways and back roads of the world without fear or loss of confidence. And then, after a long day of pleasurable and safe riding, owners will be able to face their iron horses and justifiably say with sincere affection and gratitude:
"That'll do Pig,.....that'll do."


bsess is offline  
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Moderator
 
Doughnut Spaghetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 1,061
To quote the the video

"I just buy cause it's a Harley"

Need I say more.

I still never understood why police departments would waste there money on that sh!t. Wouldn't you want a bike that was more capable? I've been seeing an officer around here on a BMW 2 1200 GS. Now that makes sense. dirt, pavement, the mall. That's why an officer would want a motorcycle IMO.

_______________________________________________



03 RC51
04 CRF450R Supermoto
Doughnut Spaghetti is offline  
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
To quote the the video

"I just buy cause it's a Harley"

Need I say more.

I still never understood why police departments would waste there money on that sh!t. Wouldn't you want a bike that was more capable? I've been seeing an officer around here on a BMW 2 1200 GS. Now that makes sense. dirt, pavement, the mall. That's why an officer would want a motorcycle IMO.
The essence of poser-ism right there......

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mikstr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome