Chinese copy of Can-Am Spyder - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion > Street & Track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Panigaliscious

Default Chinese copy of Can-Am Spyder

Scooter shop near my work had a yellow one of these parked outside for a few weeks. I finally stopped to look at it. Unbelievable they can get away with selling this.
ROKETA,atv, exercise & fitness,dune buggies,scooter,gokart,dirtbike,moped,utility vehicle,motorcycle,electric&gas scooter,water craft,golf cart,bike,quad,offroad,motorsport,jet, sand rails, moped, snowmobiles,helmet,accessories,generator,porcelain do

They retail for about $4700, compared to $15k for the Can-Am. Of course all it has is a 250cc engine and no electronics whatsoever. I would actually be surprised if it was technically street-legal, but who knows.

I hope Can-Am sues for trademark or patent infringement.
Roketa MC-95-250 Three Wheeled Roadster CAN-AM Spyder Knockoff

Read this guy's experience.
ScootDawg Scooter Forum - Roketa MC-95-250 Help....

Last edited by sburns2421; 06-30-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Señor Member

So Yamaha can make and sell the "Vino" - knockoff of an Italian scooter

but Roketa can't make and sell a scooter based knockoff of a Spyder?

Why not? You guys bashing the Chinese products and their design inspirations sound amusingly like you came from the sixties, talking about Japanese products.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be street legal - it's a three wheeled scooter for heavens sakes. The Chinese have a tiny bit of experience with scooters now.

...and after having read the thread on all the problems... I have to laugh - it sounds like a dangerous piece of crap. But the idea isn't bad - just the implementation. Chinese motorcycle products suffer from two big problems - build quality and the sad fact that the only distributors and dealers that handle them seem to be the worst of the worst in terms of service and support.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM

Unless those guys got "design" patents, which cover the "look" of the design, there is not much they are violating. Don't see any trademark infringement either.

I am all for competition and if the Chinese want to invest in copy-cat products and dedicate engineering resources to do that as a way to break into a market, I don't see anything wrong with that. They will find some customers who only want to spend $5k and don't care that they are driving a copied machine. You get what you pay for though!
2006 Honda CRF450R
2007 Honda CRF 150R (Supermoto)
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_ICEMAN View Post
Unless those guys got "design" patents, which cover the "look" of the design, there is not much they are violating. Don't see any trademark infringement either.

I am all for competition and if the Chinese want to invest in copy-cat products and dedicate engineering resources to do that as a way to break into a market, I don't see anything wrong with that. They will find some customers who only want to spend $5k and don't care that they are driving a copied machine. You get what you pay for though!

Bullshit!

The US Goverment should NEVER allow shit like this! This is the reason why we're losing jobs....because we allow crap like this to happen (be imported) in the States.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
Bullshit!

The US Goverment should NEVER allow shit like this! This is the reason why we're losing jobs....because we allow crap like this to happen (be imported) in the States.
I forgot. The world was better when our shitty vehicles were made right here by people with union protection.

I can't imagine how you can make that case, in all seriousness, here in a sport motorcycle forum. Imported vehicles are the very reason for our little corner of the popular culture, my friend. The few domestic sport motorcycles we have (had) were of dubious quality despite using a high percentage of imported parts. I can't imagine you're going to find many people here who really want imported sport vehicles regulated out of our market.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Panigaliscious

When you get a chance take a look at one, they are the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. I would argue they are dangerous without some form of electronic controls even with 15 hp.

Manufacturers certainly can patent the look, Harley and Honda have done it several times.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Can Afford To Be Critical

What's entertaining about the owner's posting is how indignant he is that the service he's receiving (or should I say not receiving) even though he spent a whole $5,000 on what is arguably a completely unsafe POS which would likely give you lead poisoning if your bare hand touched an unpainted metal part.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 AM

what about hyundai and kia ripping off designs like the benz e-class and bmw x3?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 AM

I personally doubt somebody wishing to get a Can-Am trike will be swayed by a copy costing 1/3 of the original.
And about Chinese build quality... KYMCO (which is Taiwan-based and owned though it also has factories in the Mainland) is actually pretty good. Their scooters are decent quality (on par with Italians) and the sales and assistance network is actually pretty good. They want returning customers (the average lifespan of a scooter in a big city like Rome is three years at the most) and are going to great lengths to keep people happy. That's good in my book.
The same cannot be said for many other brands. Lately many old faltering Italian brands tried their hand and importing cheap Chinese scooters rebranded with their once prestigious logo. As you can guess the results have been nothing short of a disaster. I've talked with a Honda mechanic who owns an official workshop and was asked by a local Honda dealer (who also sells rebranded Chinese scooters) to fix a batch of these contraptions, all of those turned out to be defective (overheating, failure to rev etc). He swore that after the experience he won't touch a scooter without the Honda brand again.
Literature is non-existent, spares are unheard of and quality control is probably a luxury the Chinese contractors cannot afford. Please note that under present laws any vehicle should come with at least two years warranty. But it's inferred that anyone so cheap to buy a heap knock-off over, say, a Honda SH, will surely not have money for a lawsuit.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1 View Post
Bullshit!

Hahahahaha! Too funny!!
2006 Honda CRF450R
2007 Honda CRF 150R (Supermoto)
Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Luck Runs Out...

LOL @ 528 lbs and 13 HP. Sounds like it'd be perfect for something you'd rent while on vacation to the Caribbean.
'90 VTR250
'71 T500R

Distant thunder, cold as stone. An RC bellows from its throne. One by one, each bike succumbs. Something wicked this way comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Baldy
Young butts can take the pain
Old 07-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Currently: Moderating

These abortions are kinda like moron identifiers! You'd have to be totally inept or blind to buy such a stupid machine.
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to duckdawg Send a message via AIM to duckdawg

well, maybe mark could bling it out with a bunch of his crappy carbon, and he's been looking for a use of those cans I cut down for him right?...
Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Currently: Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdawg View Post
well, maybe mark could bling it out with a bunch of his crappy carbon, and he's been looking for a use of those cans I cut down for him right?...
I see we found something that you WON'T ask to ride!
http://mrgrnsux.com/
Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to kam1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
I forgot. The world was better when our shitty vehicles were made right here by people with union protection.

LOLOLOLOL..well said!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM

My dad once said 'the bitterness of poor quality will last longer than the happiness of low price'. Sooner or later the chicoms will get it right with decent products and dealer support.

How many people do we all know with the cheap little scooters that heave their guts out, leak all sorts of fluids, tires that won't hold air, nuts and bolts with excessive thread clearance, and can't find parts for them without calling some importer that barely speaks English. I laugh at people that want something for nothing. They buy it then bitch about it.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Arrow

Chinese can copy anything if they can take a glance.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
TOP GUN Instructor

Location: Where I >Try to LIVE< Always within the Moment of Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus, My Lord Saviour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLin View Post
Chinese can copy anything if they can take a glance.

I'm sitting reading this CRAP, wonder why it seems familiar... and then I see it, You are rasing from the DEAD of 2+ Years old crap thread like this WHY....

IF You are Not a Member of and You do NOT Support the NRA, then as (uncle Ted) says: "You are NO friend of mine!"
Please Also support Your Local State Shooting Org. as well! I support the VSSA and the VCDL too.

USA: OUR 2nd Amendment Right "We HAVE the Right to Keep and Bear Arms"

Peace Maverick
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Lol..

Last edited by AKDMA; 10-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Bill Maher had a "New Rule" a few years ago...he was referring to toys manufactured in China, but it applies here as well.

Quote:
New Rule: If you were surprised that the Chinese don’t care about toy safety, then the child who needs protecting is you. Over the last couple of months, American consumers have been learning a shocking lesson about supply and demand: if you demand products that don’t cost anything, people will make them out of poison, mud and shit. Now, since April, approximately 17 million toys in the United States, all of them made in China, have been recalled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement