Speedzilla Forums banner

BMW S1000RR Production Photos

7K views 55 replies 31 participants last post by  socaltwin69 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
#13 ·
This is just the latest iteration of a huge wising-up at BMW. The new mid-size bikes are very popular and have helped them to maintain good sales in a downturn.

And they're successfully doing what Harley has tried to do for thirty years now. -- attracting the younger buyer. I don't know how much of a price premium they'll be able to maintain, but I'd expect it'll be similar to the cars, something around twenty percent.

#15 ·
And they're successfully doing what Harley has tried to do for thirty years now. -- attracting the younger buyer......
...by building a bike younger buyers (and a different demographic) want. As well, Harley doesn't want to sell bikes - its easier and cheaper on the R&D budget to build licenced T-shirts. :woot:

But back to the BMW, it appears they took some tips from Aprilia on swing-arm design.

#16 ·
(roughly 20k US. A lot of bike for 20k)

BMW unveil 195bhp S1000RR road bike at Monza WSB - Visordown Motorcycle news : General news

BMW unveil 195bhp S1000RR road bike at Monza WSB

By Visordown News

BMW's eagerly awaited S1000RR road bike is unveiled in Italy at the Monza WSB round

BMW S1000RR ... click pic for road bike gallery
BMW HAVE unveiled their S1000RR road bike to the world's press at the Monza World Superbike Round, today (Saturday) in Italy.
I was there at the press conference and my over-riding thoughts are that this is a serious contender from BMW, which, although may not yet be winning races, it has the full commitment from the BMW factory and their engineers have an overwhelming belief that this bike will lead the way in the superbike class both on the road and on the track. A bold statement.
The S1000RR is closer in size to an R6 and looks incredibly well finished. It's bursting with technologial innovations and features which I hope will raise the bar in the litre-superbike category.
According to BMW, the S1000RR has been designed for top performance, excellent rideability and throttle response, superb handling and traction, with a low weight and a compact and dynamic design.
BMW have spent 4 years developing this bike totally from scratch and are confident that this will be the new benchmark in road-going superbikes as well as a future race winner.
According to BMW, the S1000RR has the best power to weight ratio in its class (against the Fireblade etc.) with a dry weight of 183kg, and 204kg wet, it produces 194bhp @ 13,000rom at the crank. The maximum torque figure is 82lb/ft @ 9750rpm. BMW claim it features the most advanced fuel injection system available on a motorcycle today and coupled to this, it features ram air which BMW don't put a figure on, but say leads to exceptional bhp gain at high speed.
The S1000RR will have the option of ABS, ABS and DTC (traction control), a shift light and an immobiliser. It is also available with a quickshifter. The ABS and DTC options are also variable, the DTC has four modes; Rain, Sport, Race and Slick. In Rain mode, the power of the S1000RR is limited. The ABS is enabled on all modes except Slick and it also has 'Wheelie Protection' which is also enabled in full in all modes except Slick.
The wheelie protection has 'Lean Angle Detection' which means that with an angle of less than 20-degrees, the bike will still be able to wheelie for at least 5 seconds in Slick mode.
The ABS is developed for use on the road and the track, it was labelled as 'Race ABS' and has a total weight of just 2.5kg. It can be adjusted into different modes and can also be disabled completely.
The S1000RR has been extensively developed in the BMW F1 wind tunnel for maximum rider comfort and aerodynamic advantage. Small details like the holes in the screen to stop rider buffeting and the 'fins' on the bellypan to aid wind channeling are key signs that BMW have thought about the finer details.
The gearbox is 6-speed and the S1000RR features a slipper clutch. The front end is a fully-adjustable 46mm USD fork, the swingarm features an eccentric pivot, enabling different adjustments to raise and lower the height of the S1000RR and therefore the steering geometry. The really clever aspect of the suspension is that alll the adjustments are labelled 1 to 10, which means clicking in preload and adjusting rebound will be easier than before. The brakes are Brembo radial, with 320mm fully-floating discs.
The aluminium frame is welded from 4 individual castings and the engine is load baring, the rear subframe is made form aluminium tubing and the front subframe bracket is made from magnesium. The wheelbase is 1432mm which BMW say enables the rider to get maximum traction from the chassis. The exhaust system features two different types of valve. The first one on the downpipes enables the gas-flow to be adjusted, giving the S1000RR additional torque in the mid-range and the second valve is located before the end-can and is there to minimise noise. The bike should be available by November 2009 but will definitely be in dealers by January 2010. BMW UK have not revealed a UK price but say it will be 'competitively priced' which means it will realistically be around the £13,000 price-tag. It will come in three colours; Silver, Black and Yellow.

#24 ·
Looks good to me. Don't mind the green either. At least it's not black or red (the usual predictable colors). The swing arm rocks. But there's so much competition out there, and then there's price. My bikes an '02 and I'm still waiting for something that makes me want to change - ain't happening yet. Went for a ride today - the RC51 is drenched in soul.

#28 ·
Looks good to me. Don't mind the green either. At least it's not black or red (the usual predictable colors). The swing arm rocks. But there's so much competition out there, and then there's price. My bikes an '02 and I'm still waiting for something that makes me want to change - ain't happening yet. Went for a ride today - the RC51 is drenched in soul.
10-4 TO THAT! Went out on a fresh set of Power Ones on saturday and got 'em all snotty in the hills! :rockon

-Rocky-

#25 ·
I have a deposit on one of these already, now if they would just bring it to the US.
Sold my 999 a couple months ago so I would have room in the garage for it.

Expected to be the end of the year or Jan so it will be a long summer waiting, but I do have an 08 K1200GT to ride till I can put one of these next to it. :rockon

#26 ·
Try again BMW... Split pea soup ain't a bike color... and next year
you need to change the crank to fire like Yamaha's "Virtual V4"... the
old screamer is headed for extinction...

This post has been deleted
#41 ·
Capice... I've deleted my messages... now back to bikes...

#39 · (Edited)
Back to the S1RR

I thought this to be an interesting statment about the bike

"Better combined ABS than Honda, better integrated traction control than Ducati, better intake adjustment and exhaust valve control than the Yamaha, better use of multi-mode engine mapping than the Suzuki, better power than anything bar the MV Agusta and (allegedly) better ergos than the lot"*

you gotta love this from the same article

So it seems BMW have integrated these variable engine maps in such a way as to make them genuinely useful, giving you the opportunity to scare seven shades of shit out of yourself in all conditions, with a good degree of safety.

all found at this link
BMW clearly not messing around with 193-horsepower 2010 S1000RR » The Biker Gene

#40 ·
Back to the S1RR

I thought this to be an interesting statment about the bike

"Better combined ABS than Honda, better integrated traction control than Ducati, better intake adjustment and exhaust valve control than the Yamaha, better use of multi-mode engine mapping than the Suzuki, better power than anything bar the MV Agusta and (allegedly) better ergos than the lot"*

you gotta love this from the same article

So it seems BMW have integrated these variable engine maps in such a way as to make them genuinely useful, giving you the opportunity to scare seven shades of shit out of yourself in all conditions, with a good degree of safety.

all found at this link
BMW clearly not messing around with 193-horsepower 2010 S1000RR » The Biker Gene
And this......

Over the years and decades, the principle of combining a straight-four power unit with an aluminium bridge frame has been consistently developed and has become the dominating technical concept particularly in the supersports segment. The reason, quite simply, is that a motorcycle of this kind offers significant benefits in terms of riding dynamics, long-distance endurance, and straightforward production.

Who would have thunk such a thing?

#42 ·
agreed.

im dying to see how this Bimmer stacks up against an 1198, RSV4, and CBR... my bet is that it out powers them but cant out lap them... getting the chassis right takes a few more efforts than getting the engine right. The other manufacturers have been racing and making superbikes bikes far to long for BMW to step in and teach them a lesson on their first attempt.... but you cant put anything past BMW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.