Speedzilla Forums banner

Are there any OW01(ex.Lawson/Daytona) experts here?

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  RxRC 
#1 ·
Looking for information about the Eddie Lawson Ow01 Daytona winner 1993 mentioned in an other tread on this forum !

My information is that the bike was shipped to Vance&Hines Europe(Moto speed/Sweden) and was going to be used on racetrack but ended up on a podium in the shop !

Is there anybody who can confirm this ???
Text Font Art Room Illustration

See less See more
#3 ·
The tread you started about the value of an Ow01 !
I´m glad that you answered my tread because you are the first one outside Vance&Hines that mention that the bike should be in Sweden !

What i know is that Eddie raced in Daytona(-93) with number 7 !

The bike that came to Sweden was fitted with number 1(picture) !

Text Font Art Room Illustration

Why ????

Could this be because of that they removed number 7 and fitted number 1 after the winning race ?

#8 ·
The guy I bought mine from told me about Lawson's race bike being in Sweden. I'm sure I've read that elsewhere as well.

One clue about the real bike is that they fit an oversized radiator to it for the race. In order for it to fit, they had to cut holes in the sides of the fairings, which you can see in any action photos of the race. If you see these holes in the fairing, that's probably the real thing...

Attachments

#11 ·
The guy I bought mine from told me about Lawson's race bike being in Sweden. I'm sure I've read that elsewhere as well.

One clue about the real bike is that they fit an oversized radiator to it for the race. In order for it to fit, they had to cut holes in the sides of the fairings, which you can see in any action photos of the race. If you see these holes in the fairing, that's probably the real thing...

just curious, how many bikes do you have and what are they?

i have watched you here for 7 years and can't remember looking at 1 pic of any of your bikes:banghead

#10 ·
If i could get evidence that the Lawson bike came to Sweden, this should be the bike !

Öhlins and Vance&Hines(Europe/Sweden) are close buisness partners and it could easily have been a mix up who got it !

I would like more solid information about that it came to Sweden !!!

Were ?????

As you see in the picture of the bike it has road going equipment !

Somtime back in 1995-96 V&H sold the bike to a guy in the northern part of Sweden and he got an idea of using it on the road !

The only way he could do that, was to buy the bike in parts;) (recipts for every part) and registrate it as an amature built vehicle !

It was no identification numbers on the chassi or engine before registration !

Sadly:banghead :banghead the upper front fairing was replaced with a new one when asemblying the ligths on to the bike !

The story is that the original fairing has been trown away :banghead :banghead :banghead !

But there is an big Denso kit cooler fit to the bike without fans !

Have you any more ideas what to look for to confirm this is the bike ??

The bike has also been repainted and some of the sponsor marks was not available so they are missing !

I´m also looking for photos and films from the Daytona -93 race !!

Any ideas ??? Auto part Vehicle Engine Gauge Car

#17 ·
It was actually a friend of mine arround 1994-95 who bought this bike and transformed it to a roadlegalbike. Cause by the restriction with insurances he did some funny things to keep the hp below 50hp, and when it was the time for the swedish authorities to try the bike it suddenly gave full hp. He put lights in the racetop fairing. By the way at that time i had one OW01 who raced by Anders Anderson in WSBK and i took the engine in part and the parts were amazing..and also i had the FZR750R with matching numbers 00001 ;) unfortunatly i changes that in gor a porsche and the bike diseappeard in aome insurance fraud..Have a good one all :)

#18 ·
It was actually a friend of mine arround 1994-95 who bought this bike and transformed it to a roadlegalbike. Cause by the restriction with insurances he did some funny things to keep the hp below 50hp, and when it was the time for the swedish authorities to try the bike it suddenly gave full hp. He put lights in the racetop fairing.
That sounds fishy. I mean, who would do that to a championship winning race bike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.