Are there any OW01(ex.Lawson/Daytona) experts here? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Are there any OW01(ex.Lawson/Daytona) experts here?

Looking for information about the Eddie Lawson Ow01 Daytona winner 1993 mentioned in an other tread on this forum !

My information is that the bike was shipped to Vance&Hines Europe(Moto speed/Sweden) and was going to be used on racetrack but ended up on a podium in the shop !

Is there anybody who can confirm this ???
Name:  untitled.JPG
Views: 1237
Size:  22.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Geez. Some people...

I've always been told that the actual race-winning bike ended up at Ohlins in Sweden. I don't have any proof of this, though...

Which other thread are you referring to?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

The tread you started about the value of an Ow01 !
I´m glad that you answered my tread because you are the first one outside Vance&Hines that mention that the bike should be in Sweden !

What i know is that Eddie raced in Daytona(-93) with number 7 !

The bike that came to Sweden was fitted with number 1(picture) !

Name:  ow01 1.JPG
Views: 1271
Size:  160.4 KB

Why ????

Could this be because of that they removed number 7 and fitted number 1 after the winning race ?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Exhausted and Abused

He raced in 1993 and 1994. Seems like one year he was in Yamaha colors. Don't remember which year.

Either way, numbers could be removed and replaced.

"Super" Dave Rosno

racin' against cancer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post

Either way, numbers could be removed and replaced.
And undoubtedly there were multiple sets of bodywork as well.

Only one left not in captivity.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Gold Sponsor

this is a nice example
the OW-O1 is so beautiful and advanced for its time.Shame there arent many parts left in japan for it

Yamaha OW-01 FOR SALE! - 13x Forums
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Can you(AZ Scott)give me information about who told you that the bike ended up at Öhlins in Sweden !

Eddie Lawson,magazines...

The bike today !Name:  lawson ow01 4.jpg
Views: 2889
Size:  234.3 KB
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Geez. Some people...

The guy I bought mine from told me about Lawson's race bike being in Sweden. I'm sure I've read that elsewhere as well.

One clue about the real bike is that they fit an oversized radiator to it for the race. In order for it to fit, they had to cut holes in the sides of the fairings, which you can see in any action photos of the race. If you see these holes in the fairing, that's probably the real thing...
Attached Images

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Exhausted and Abused

I know that they ran Power Mist T112 through the bike that year with Eddie. Was one of the last years of more normal non oxygenated racing fuels. In 1994, everyone went haywire.

"Super" Dave Rosno

racin' against cancer...

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

If i could get evidence that the Lawson bike came to Sweden, this should be the bike !

Öhlins and Vance&Hines(Europe/Sweden) are close buisness partners and it could easily have been a mix up who got it !

I would like more solid information about that it came to Sweden !!!

Were ?????

As you see in the picture of the bike it has road going equipment !

Somtime back in 1995-96 V&H sold the bike to a guy in the northern part of Sweden and he got an idea of using it on the road !

The only way he could do that, was to buy the bike in parts (recipts for every part) and registrate it as an amature built vehicle !

It was no identification numbers on the chassi or engine before registration !

Sadly the upper front fairing was replaced with a new one when asemblying the ligths on to the bike !

The story is that the original fairing has been trown away !

But there is an big Denso kit cooler fit to the bike without fans !

Have you any more ideas what to look for to confirm this is the bike ??

The bike has also been repainted and some of the sponsor marks was not available so they are missing !

I´m also looking for photos and films from the Daytona -93 race !!

Any ideas ???Name:  ow01 44.JPG
Views: 1491
Size:  222.5 KB
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Scott View Post
The guy I bought mine from told me about Lawson's race bike being in Sweden. I'm sure I've read that elsewhere as well.

One clue about the real bike is that they fit an oversized radiator to it for the race. In order for it to fit, they had to cut holes in the sides of the fairings, which you can see in any action photos of the race. If you see these holes in the fairing, that's probably the real thing...

just curious, how many bikes do you have and what are they?

i have watched you here for 7 years and can't remember looking at 1 pic of any of your bikes

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post

He has a lot of them and I've seen them and I'm not telling.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Gold Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussdude View Post
He has a lot of them and I've seen them and I'm not telling.

Oh, i bet he does

just kind of shitty to lurk here for 7 years and mention every now and then he has this and that and never bother to show some of them you know pat?

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Geez. Some people...

I'm sorry, bemigr, there's really not much else I can tell you about the bike. Maybe try to contact Tom Halverson at Yamaha U.S., or Terry Vance himself? That's about all I can think of...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Geez. Some people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post

i have watched you here for 7 years and can't remember looking at 1 pic of any of your bikes...

...just kind of shitty to lurk here for 7 years and mention every now and then he has this and that and never bother to show some of them
Gee, let's see...

First of all, I've been "lurking" here for 9 years, ever since it was just a small group of true enthusiasts who knew how to be civil to each other.

Secondly, I've actually posted many pictures of several of my bikes over the years. If you weren't paying attention, it's not my problem.

I'm not here to try and impress anybody with my bike collection. I have a few nice bikes, and most of the people I care about have seen them, either in photos or in person.

I'm sorry if you're offended that I don't share everything about my life with everyone here.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Gold Sponsor

Easy Scott, take your pills man

i was half joking, it is called sarcasm

I was not asking for you to try to impress anybody, but this is a forum for riders and most like to show their pride and joys from time to time.

I guess you can choke on your lemon juice then, be well

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:18 AM

It was actually a friend of mine arround 1994-95 who bought this bike and transformed it to a roadlegalbike. Cause by the restriction with insurances he did some funny things to keep the hp below 50hp, and when it was the time for the swedish authorities to try the bike it suddenly gave full hp. He put lights in the racetop fairing. By the way at that time i had one OW01 who raced by Anders Anderson in WSBK and i took the engine in part and the parts were amazing..and also i had the FZR750R with matching numbers 00001 unfortunatly i changes that in gor a porsche and the bike diseappeard in aome insurance fraud..Have a good one all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode