Shipping a gas tank? - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums  

Go Back   Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion > Street & Track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Shipping a gas tank?

Anyone shipped a tank through US Postal service? I have the OEM box so its secure but it has had fuel in it before but is completely empty now. Will they give me a hassle? Its going to Canada BTW. I would prefer to ship it UPS the way it came to me but the guy buying it insist on USPS.

#826 WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZ
Anyone shipped a tank through US Postal service? I have the OEM box so its secure but it has had fuel in it before but is completely empty now. Will they give me a hassle? Its going to Canada BTW. I would prefer to ship it UPS the way it came to me but the guy buying it insist on USPS.

Let it air out abit, then wrap it in a trashbag to kinda seal the smell in. I think the USPS and not UPS thing has to do with its easier to get stuff via the mail.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I'll fix it.

I sold an R6 tank on ebay....let it air out for about a week, then wrapped it in plastic and used the oem box.....no issues at all.

might want to declare it a "motorcycle part" on the customs form, and not get too specific
Old 12-15-2006, 04:04 PM
South Texan

I've shipped a couple tanks. Just wrap it in plastic or make sure any openings are are sealled so no peanuts get in the tank. Never had any problems. You might want to see if they guy will let it be shipped fedex or ups so you can get a tracking number. I always feel more comfortable getting a tracking number, not just the conformation number from usps.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:17 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a week for it to air out. Its been off the bike for 3 1/2 months now in that box with the openings taped up. He wants it now. I am suppose to ship it tomorrow morning. We'll see I hope they don't slam me with some extra fees its already costing $53 bucks to ship it with insurance. I am not making nearly enough off it but at least it disappears from my cramped garage.

#826 WERA Expert
Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 PM

The reason us Canucks insists on USPS, or anyone else but UPS for that matter, is because UPS gouges on custom clearance fee. It got so bad that Canadian government officials have discussed coming up with some kind of consumer protection from UPS unfair practice.

For example, one time I ordered some memory modules worth $50 USD. UPS ended up charging me $35 custom clearance fee; that's on top of the tariff and taxes.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Just a word of caution on shipping tanks. I sent my SS tank back east for rust removal and repair via UPS. I thought i packed it securely, but when it was returned to me there was a noticible dent on the side of the tank. The repairguy told me later he noticed it upon arrival to him, but thought it was already there. UPS sent two inspectors over a period of 8 months on a follow up claim (they lost the first claim paperwork) They denied me for not having "proper" packing materials. However, in the long run I persisted with photographs of the box, (thank God i kept it) the labeling, etc. I did insure the tank so eventually UPS paid the claim.

The OE box is good and find out what they mean by "proper" packing material. Just want to save you a potential headache.

Also, bare in mind shipping to Canada via USPS may require customs fees, etc. Mark your container as a gift on any paperwork.
2003 Ducati 999R #189
2009 Buell 1125CR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1100S MTS (sold)
2005 Honda 600RR (totalled)
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1995 Ducati 916 (sold)
2004 Ducati 999S (sold)
2005 Honda 600RR (Oops, I did it again, this time in red/black - sold)

www.ducati-owners-group.com
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 PM

The OEM box is pretty well protected but I will add some more stuffing for insurance. Thanks for the "gift" idea that will work even better this time of year. One tid bit the OEM box had a shock sensor on it and UPS man-handled it so rough it was set off full red which meant check your contents luckily the new tank was not damaged. I don't think this guy is too concerned about a slight dent he is putting it on a racebike from what I gather since he was not to concerned about the anniversary color scheme on the tank. Either way he got a fantastic deal from me on it.thanks to all!

#826 WERA Expert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement