6Likes
  • 1 Post By stk0308
  • 2 Post By Old Baldy
  • 2 Post By bsess
  • 1 Post By stk0308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Lemans MotoGP Spoiler

So far, Lorenzo is looking comfortably dominant and should be considered the early favorite. Based on rider comments so far this year and when comparing sector times between 2014 and today, it's quite clear that the Factory Hondas have lost one of their strongest principal performance advantages which was drive and acceleration coming out off of slow and medium speed corners. I think the two remaining podium spots will be a 5-way battle between the two Andreas, Marquez, Vinales and Rossi who, despite being off to a slow start in today's practice sessions, will no doubt get himself up to speed between tomorrow practices/qualifying and Sunday's race. Vinales' teammate is also looking stronger and more confident on the Suzuki every race weekend....

The weather forecast for Sunday's race is around 74 degrees with only a 10% chance of rain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 AM
He with the senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsess View Post
So far, Lorenzo is looking comfortably dominant and should be considered the early favorite. Based on rider comments so far this year and when comparing sector times between 2014 and today, it's quite clear that the Factory Hondas have lost one of their strongest principal performance advantages which was drive and acceleration coming out off of slow and medium speed corners. I think the two remaining podium spots will be a 5-way battle between the two Andreas, Marquez, Vinales and Rossi who, despite being off to a slow start in today's practice sessions, will no doubt get himself up to speed between tomorrow practices/qualifying and Sunday's race. Vinales' teammate is also looking stronger and more confident on the Suzuki every race weekend....

The weather forecast for Sunday's race is around 74 degrees with only a 10% chance of rain.
Yep, pretty much. Looks like Rossi has been working hard on race setup, as opposed to fastest lap times, as is his general approach, but JL is clearly feeling very comfortable....and fast. He could run away with it, if no issues.

I think the race will again depend on the tire selection and traction issues and who can manage that the best.

The Honda has less mechanical grip than the Yamaha, and, I believe less torque at lower RPM, so loses out on acceleration. MM is having to ride around this and manage it the best he can. He's been doing a fantastic job of it, and CLEARLY has learned his lesson from last years' multiple crashes. Good for him. He's certainly a bright young lad.

It's going to be interesting, for sure.

Old Baldy
Triumph Tiger 955i with decent suspension.
Ducati 996 with hot 999 motor
Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

At the end of Q2, Marquez' Honda registered the 11th slowest maximum speed of 306 km/h (just barely edging out the last place Suzuki of Espargaro who hit 305.8 km/h). The factory Ducatis and Yamahas ahead of him have a 5-8 km/h top speed advantage here which wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing if the problem wasn't compounded by the low speed acceleration issues.

I see Lorenzo running away....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
At the end of Q2, Marquez' Honda registered the 11th slowest maximum speed of 306 km/h (just barely edging out the last place Suzuki of Espargaro who hit 305.8 km/h). The factory Ducatis and Yamahas ahead of him have a 5-8 km/h top speed advantage here which wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing if the problem wasn't compounded by the low speed acceleration issues.

I see Lorenzo running away....
Good prediction!

Lolly a masterful display again. Truly, the most formidable racer when he gets out front like that. Fantastic.

MM and Dovi - I would say quite unlucky as I can only assume they hit a bad spot to go down like that. I was thinking oil, but why didn't it affect the others? Weird.

Anyway a great result for Yamaha with JL now ahead in the championship and Rossi right there with MM. Felt sorry for the Ducatis, who just can't seem to string it together.

I think Iannone has done himself a huge disservice in this race by crashing out as he did. More so than Dovi's mistake.....and I think this may end up being the deciding factor for Ducati on who to keep next year - Dovi. We'll see.

Old Baldy
Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 PM

Suzuki on the podium. Congrats MV you are a hero!

While he didn't win, that ride from Rossi IMO was his best to date this season. To be duffed up at the start like that and work his way up to 2nd was brilliant. vintage Rossi.

JLo - the metronome is back and imperious.

MM - I've never seen a Honda lacking in acceleration like that, leading to more than average, even for MM, front tire abuse. Partially his undoing. Coupled with Dani's frontend mishap last race Honda is in trouble.

Iannone - now in a dogfight with CalC for the Xaus Man of the Year award.

CalC - anything Iannone can do I can do it again, and again, and again and...

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 AM

Nice to Rossi come by and pass MM and Ianone straight up.... JLo is making the most of his last year at Yamaha, possibly his last championship shot.

Maverick wins the war of attrition and starts to pencil in his name on the Yamaha ride... Ianone is screwing himself over at Ducati

2013 BMW S1000RR
2011 Honda CRF450R (Supermoto)
2005 Yamaha Midnight Warrior
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM

I won't be surprised if JLo wins on the Ducati; I'm betting heavily on it. If you pay close attention Ducati has quietly gone about improving its performance in WSC and MGP. The Audi investment is starting to materialize. The Ducati quiet improvements mirror IMO Audi's LeMan series successes, they quietly arrived and stayed there on top.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 01:22 AM
Currently: Moderating

What a perfectly timed synchronized wreck by Dovi and MM! Once a crasher, always a crasher! Just wish he would've taken out Rossi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrn View Post
why don'y you do yourself a favor and put me on ignore

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_ICEMAN View Post
Maverick wins the war of attrition and starts to pencil in his name on the Yamaha ride.
That podium actually complicates things more. It activates a clause in his contract allowing Suzuki to add a 1 year extension to his contract. This could cost Yamaha more to get Maverick out of it, and Jarvis has said the offer is on the table, not a dollar more. Personally, I hope Maverick stays at Suzuki and does a better Schwantz. Becoming a legend. Better than playing 2nd fiddle to Jesus of Tavullia, where his input will be ignored.

Steven
2016 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd8r View Post
I won't be surprised if JLo wins on the Ducati; I'm betting heavily on it. If you pay close attention Ducati has quietly gone about improving its performance in WSC and MGP. The Audi investment is starting to materialize. The Ducati quiet improvements mirror IMO Audi's LeMan series successes, they quietly arrived and stayed there on top.
It's more than just Audi money, it's Gigi Dall'Igna. His organization, and skills at managing teams, is making an impact at Ducati, like it did at Aprilia.
Old Baldy likes this.

Steven
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
It's more than just Audi money, it's Gigi Dall'Igna. His organization, and skills at managing teams, is making an impact at Ducati, like it did at Aprilia.

Hm, I take your pt but IMO it's hard to put Gigi's contribution into perspective.

Taking a step back, before Gigi was there, remember who was there and not seeing any success. Rossi and Burgess.

Take a look back at a lot of Rossi's criticisms of the Ducati. One common thread, he was making the same complaints about the same things race after race after race. No improvement and no new parts developed or in development.

I believe Gigi has made a strong contribution but he has also enjoyed the enviable position of a more robust development budget. Gigi for all his brilliance isn't doing squat without Audi money. No money, no honey.

Now TBF, I could be wrong because the spotlight on Ducati's development regime isn't what it was when Rossi was there, but we aren't seeing reports of the same old woes they had when Rossi was there either.

In any event, whatever the ratio Gigi has been a positive contribution I'm just not certain it is on par with Audi's.

2006 BMW HP2
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop
The [fact] that the RC45 was a "relative failure" is what matters most...

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Hm, I take your pt but IMO it's hard to put Gigi's contribution into perspective.

Taking a step back, before Gigi was there, remember who was there and not seeing any success. Rossi and Burgess.

Take a look back at a lot of Rossi's criticisms of the Ducati. One common thread, he was making the same complaints about the same things race after race after race. No improvement and no new parts developed or in development.

I believe Gigi has made a strong contribution but he has also enjoyed the enviable position of a more robust development budget. Gigi for all his brilliance isn't doing squat without Audi money. No money, no honey.

Now TBF, I could be wrong because the spotlight on Ducati's development regime isn't what it was when Rossi was there, but we aren't seeing reports of the same old woes they had when Rossi was there either.

In any event, whatever the ratio Gigi has been a positive contribution I'm just not certain it is on par with Audi's.
Agreed. But Gigi was clever in that he insisted on budget and control before he signed. Audi clearly wants Ducati to succeed, and is putting up the necessary money - as you say, without it, Gigi would not be anywhere, but the opposite is also probably true. I think their loss of Rossi despite last minute personal appeals and assurances from their Chairman and CEO, is what motivated the company to realize that they are the problem - not the riders. Ducati had become a little like Honda has historically been - the "engineers know best" mentality, and Casey's phenominal talent made them believe it, when it really wasn't true.
stk0308 and sqd8r like this.

Old Baldy
Kawasaki KLR650

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
While it's impossible to make any advancements and improvements in bike development without the amount of funding required to do so, I personally believe that Gigi's impact should by no means be undervalued. HRC essentially has limitless financial resources and their factory bikes are still inferior to what they were in 2014. Last year, they took a huge step backwards and this season, the bike continues to be deficient in the areas of performance where it was once superior, principally, acceleration, top speed and stability under braking.

The translating of rider feedback and data into actual developmental improvements is both art and science and Gigi is, in the eyes of many, a true master in this regard and I believe he has the results to show for it both before and after taking over Ducati Racing. A long term beneficiary of Marlboro money, I think Ducati Corse was not lacking needing the "how much?" in terms of additional funding as much as the "know how" in terms of having the knowledge, skills, expertise and experience to successfully turning said funding into positive change and actual results.

The fact is that Ducati spent a huge fortune developing and racing their carbon fiber and frameless chassis designs starting back around 2009. Stoner was, as usual, the only one able to be reasonably competitive on the feedback absent POS, winning 7 races (4 in 2009 and 3 in 2010) whereas I think Rossi had only one podium during his two years with Ducati. It should also bear noting that Rossi not only imported most of his technical crew from Yamaha when he moved to Ducati but also brought with him a tanker-full of sponsorship money (along with the already existing flows of mucho Marboro mulah).

So during Rossi's two years at Ducati, there was absolutely no shortage of money, quality technical support or proven rider talent. Things only really began to significantly improve after Gigi took over and began implementing the changes he authored. I honestly believe that if Rossi were riding the Ducati now (or had Gigi behind him back in 2011/2012) he'd be winning (or would have won) races on the Ducati.

In the final analysis, the Audi money is undoubtedly a major factor but in my mind, the biggest difference maker is the Godfather of Speed, Don Gigi Dall'Igna...
stk0308 and sqd8r like this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
While it's impossible to make any advancements and improvements in bike development without the amount of funding required to do so, I personally believe that Gigi's impact should by no means be undervalued. HRC essentially has limitless financial resources and their factory bikes are still inferior to what they were in 2014. Last year, they took a huge step backwards and this season, the bike continues to be deficient in the areas of performance where it was once superior, principally, acceleration, top speed and stability under braking.

The translating of rider feedback and data into actual developmental improvements is both art and science and Gigi is, in the eyes of many, a true master in this regard and I believe he has the results to show for it both before and after taking over Ducati Racing. A long term beneficiary of Marlboro money, I think Ducati Corse was not lacking needing the "how much?" in terms of additional funding as much as the "know how" in terms of having the knowledge, skills, expertise and experience to successfully turning said funding into positive change and actual results.

The fact is that Ducati spent a huge fortune developing and racing their carbon fiber and frameless chassis designs starting back around 2009. Stoner was, as usual, the only one able to be reasonably competitive on the feedback absent POS, winning 7 races (4 in 2009 and 3 in 2010) whereas I think Rossi had only one podium during his two years with Ducati. It should also bear noting that Rossi not only imported most of his technical crew from Yamaha when he moved to Ducati but also brought with him a tanker-full of sponsorship money (along with the already existing flows of mucho Marboro mulah).

So during Rossi's two years at Ducati, there was absolutely no shortage of money, quality technical support or proven rider talent. Things only really began to significantly improve after Gigi took over and began implementing the changes he authored. I honestly believe that if Rossi were riding the Ducati now (or had Gigi behind him back in 2011/2012) he'd be winning (or would have won) races on the Ducati.

In the final analysis, the Audi money is undoubtedly a major factor but in my mind, the biggest difference maker is the Godfather of Speed, Don Gigi Dall'Igna...
You male a strong case, and I think you're probably right.

Old Baldy
Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:24 PM

To add to bsess' excellent point.
Gigi made the Aprilia race teams world beaters with only Piaggio's money to support it. After the market crash, preceeded by the scooter market crash in Italy, Piaggio wasn't exactly swimming in cash all those successful years Gigi had with them. He knows how to get the right money, to pay for the right parts, and guide development to optimize available resources.
Old Baldy likes this.

Steven
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode