1977 cb550f - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

1977 cb550f

Just thought I'd post up a project I have been working on.

I found it on CL for $550. The pictures made it look to be in excellent condition and only missing a few things to be all original. Rear turn signals and a right side cover were missing. It also was not running.

I called a good friend of mine that was closer to the seller and asked him to go pick it up for me. I was sure this bike wasn't going to last long at that price.

I had every intention on building a café racer with a USD front end. After thinking about it and looking at the bike I just couldn't hack it up. So I decided to clean it up and restore it.

Once I had it in my garage I spent awhile looking it over and It needed more work then the pictures showed. The tank needed to be repainted and the muffler had a few rust holes at the end.

So it began...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

More pics...

Cleaned and prepped the motor for paint.

Once I had everything cleaned and painted I got right to work on putting it back together.

I wanted to keep it the original color but the paint was more than I was willing to spend so I went with a metallic grey/gun metal.

The tank def needed a paint job.

And here it is all painted with reproduction decals

I'm almost finished with this project and can't wait to get it out on the road. I am pleased with it but the chrome isn't the greatest and really hinders the close up inspection. The rims are peeling and the PO tried to buff the rear fender with a sanding disc!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I picked up this Hawk GT in March and took it on a 2,000 mile trip to Myrtle Beach and back with a good friend of mine.

Once the CB is done I'll most likely do a proper paint job on the Hawk. My rattle can job got a little beat up on the trip.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 AM

the rattle can paint job looks pretty good still. I'm so glad to see the cb on here. I just got a 1972 cb350, and its not as good of a shape as yours though. don't know if I want to turn it into a cafe racer, or original look.
is there a good forum for these bikes?

I`m not addicted to coke, I just like the smell.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 AM

cool pair of Hondas. I like the color choice on the cb tank. looks good!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by askela View Post
the rattle can paint job looks pretty good still. I'm so glad to see the cb on here. I just got a 1972 cb350, and its not as good of a shape as yours though. don't know if I want to turn it into a cafe racer, or original look.
is there a good forum for these bikes?
Check out SOHC4.net. Lots of info and really busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode