1975 Honda CB125S - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

Send a message via AIM to Nacho2059
Talking 1975 Honda CB125S

Well I sold my RC51 nearly two years ago now and although I only had it for a few years I still miss the sight, sound, and feel of the dang thing. Oh well, it helped buy a house.

Last summer I was given a 1975 Honda CB125S that belonged to my wife's great uncle who had passed the summer before. It had been sitting in a shed virtually untouched for some time and before that barely ridden.

Needs some cleaning and a couple new bits but in a few months it should be ready to ride (fingers crossed).

Yes you are seeing that correctly. 896 miles. Still on original tires.

It does have a small mark on the tank but I am not concerned about that, gives it a little character. The tank does have a small amount of "fuel" left which is obviously no longer considered fuel but thankfully it only has a few specs of rust and should clean up with little to no issue.

Heck it even has the original tool kit in its entirety.

The only real issues the bike has is some pitting on the mirrors and levers from the time it spent on the road in Washington state and in the Flathead lake area of Montana. I can live with that though.

I will post some better quality pictures of the thing once this project gets a little more underway.

enjoy.

Kelso
Conti Road Attacks, HID Conversion, PCIIIUSB, 1/6th Throttle, Galfer Lines F+R+Clutch, Flapped, Paired, Reved, Healed, Scotts Damper, MR Super Coat DB Screen, QB Carbon Vented Fender, MRGRN Carbon Parts Galore, CRG Mirrors and Levers, Sato Sliders, Sato Spools, Sato Lows w/ Carbon Banzai Cans
2005 Honda RC51

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nacho2059; 04-01-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 PM

dude thats awesome
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

Update:
Got the motor freed up, the gas/oil mixture drained from the case, replaced a small section of wire on one turn signal, cleaned the varnish from the tank, cleaned the carb, and even got it started.

Runs ok for sitting for at least 15 years. Unfortunately it sounds like the roller bearing is a little rusty (just a guess). Its a bit noisy in there. Looks like I will be tearing it all down, which in all actuality is going to be for the better as it will allow me to remove the little bit of surface rust on the frame and add a little paint here and there as well as checking on the fiber disks of the clutch.

Thankfully all electrical is functional and all switches work as expected.

Let the fun begin.

Kelso
Conti Road Attacks, HID Conversion, PCIIIUSB, 1/6th Throttle, Galfer Lines F+R+Clutch, Flapped, Paired, Reved, Healed, Scotts Damper, MR Super Coat DB Screen, QB Carbon Vented Fender, MRGRN Carbon Parts Galore, CRG Mirrors and Levers, Sato Sliders, Sato Spools, Sato Lows w/ Carbon Banzai Cans
2005 Honda RC51

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Gold Sponsor

Coo stuff!

Loved flathead lake when I lived in big fork for a spell. The osprey and trout were outstanding!

1990 RC30
2001 RC51
2006 R1
2002 TL1000r
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 AM

The engine noise is likely the cam chain. Give it an adjust and I bet the noise will go away.

You'll find the charging system is marginal at best and it's probable that the turn signals won't work unless the battery is fully charged.

02 998 La Strega Bella
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

well it doesnt make any noise right now as the engine sits mostly disassembled on my bench.

Clutch plates are stuck together and there is a whole lot of sludge in the bottom of the case.

now trying to find a replacement piston could be a challenge. stock one has some pitting and a fair amount of scratches on the piston and sleeve itself.

have contemplated getting one of the Chinese piston, rings, cylinder kits but they are the 124cc version whereas mine is the 122cc. should work but have heard performance on the 124cc decreased.

Cylinder Bore 56 5mm Piston Gasket Honda CB125 CL XL SL125 124CM3 Engine 125cc | eBay

have any thoughts on that?

Kelso
2005 Honda RC51

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

I have been able to source NOS gaskets, piston, ring, and even a used transmission (original has a few gears with some major rust and I dont want to deal with that) as well as new aftermarket fiber clutch plates.

Have spent many hours cleaning and polishing the chrome bits. I have also painted the front motor mount, chain guard, swingarm, and exhaust bracket.

Motor is waiting on parts to arrive so I have to do something besides stand over it and make vroom vroom noises.

Still need to find some new case bolts, likely going to go with cap screws to avoid the potential of stripping out the new bolts.

At least it is looking like a motorcycle again.

also, was told it sat for closer to 25 years rather than my estimated 15.

Kelso
2005 Honda RC51

Last edited by Nacho2059; 04-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

Motor is back together but waiting on new case bolts. That said it should be back in the frame by tomorrow evening.

Kelso
2005 Honda RC51

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

At long last she is back together again. Now lets hope she runs tomorrow.

Kelso
2005 Honda RC51

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Well done. That is a really nice semi-vintage bike. Hope it does start and run well.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Back on two wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soslow View Post
Well done. That is a really nice semi-vintage bike. Hope it does start and run well.
Thank you.

It took some tinkering with this morning but I am happy to report the bike lives again.

Even had time to get 10 miles on it (gingerly) and it was great. Wont be setting any land speed records in the near future but it sure does ride nice.

Will post a list of parts and suppliers I used for use by anyone else wanting to tackle a similar project.

Of course glory photos will come once I actually get the bike licensed Monday and can take it out and about a bit more.

Kelso
2005 Honda RC51

Last edited by Nacho2059; 04-01-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode