VTR 1000R SP1 (RC-51) Makis Edition - Page 5 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

Don't wanna bore you with endless texts so....

Pros:
- No milling required to the triples for the forks to fit.
- Lower triple is more reinforced so it'll be more rigid in heavy breaking conditions (trackdays).
- Narrower offset (if that means anything)

Cons:
- A copy of the OEM spindle, pressed in the Aprilia lower, will have big trouble fitting the upper triple. Upper triple's spindle hole is 33mm while SP1's is 24mm. That will require another spacer to fill that gap.

- The Honda OEM key switch doesn't fit nice inside the Aprilia upper triple...it's just ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisRC51 View Post
- Custom rotation stops are very hard to be made to the lower triple due to limited space. They'll end up being so far forward that a very thin layer of aluminum will be what it'll hold them when I ever actually need them.

- I cannot verify this but from what it seems, the narrower offset of the triples will conflict with the snorkel while steering all the way left or right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My forum:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

At first, as you can see in the comparison picture,

the two forks have different mounting areas on them.
Especially the Ohlins is quite limited on it's mounting surface.

So I have to see where the triples are gonna bolt tight on them.

First I measure the mounting distance on the fork's original triples

Next comes the RC/RC triples (upper/lower)

They are WAY to apart. If anything, I cannot adjust the forks' height if I need to later on.
I keep in mind that it will probably be necessary to do so to balance the bike since the Ohlins is 20mm shorter with 10mm shorter stroke (120mm wheel travel against Showa's 130mm).
So I think that a lot of adjustments will be needed once the bike starts rolling and I would like to have some spare adjusting fork leg.

At this point, I figures that I would be needing a flat lower triple, like the Ohlins one, only a triple with the same 213mm offset which means an OEM Honda triple.

And then I remembered that many part from the CBR954 are very similar, if not exactly the same, with the RC.

My forum:

My mods:
post #83 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

I borrowed a pair of CBR954/929 triples from a friend and start measuring and combining things up.

Using the 954/RC combo (upper/lower)

That looks good.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next was the 954/954 combo (929 uses the exact same triples if you wonder)

And for last the RC/954 combo

So far I am between the last one (RC upper/954 lower) and the full 954 combo.......the last one has 2 main advantages over the other one:

1) I get to sell the TYGA upper to compensate some cash
2) It gives me the most spare fork length to use for adjustments.

However it's 7mm less that the stock Ohlins setting and I am not sure of the stresses that will be applied on the fork.....
On the other hand, RC/954 combo is 8mm wider which means better leverage on the fork.

My forum:

My mods:

post #84 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

954 upper and RC lower on the fork. I marked the lower triple's limit downwards.

Still has some space above

And the measurements on the RC51 OEM upper clamp

My forum:

My mods:
post #85 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

05-11-2013

Today was a really nice one.....took all the fresh parts, my swingarm and the 954/929 lower triple, to my friend's workshop to use his hydraulic press.

Put the new swingarm bearings in the deep freeze for about an hour so I start off with the lower triple.

First of all, I asked the valuable help of Alex,

who is the youngest of my friend's boys, to help me out with the hydraulic press while I was handling the triple

I applied some pressure on the pivot and then I started heating the triple

After a while, with the triple too hot enough, all it takes is a couple of hits with a mallet and out the pivot goes...

My forum:

My mods:
post #86 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

After the triple it was time for the swingarm.....but I needed to mount it's weight first so that I can work on the bearings easily.

So a rope from the ceiling would do just fine

First the LH (chain) side with the needle bearing.....

....which has to be pressed 7mm deep according to Soihiro's instructions

Then the RH side with the two roller bearings......lots of grease between them of course.

The replacement bearing where NOT purchased by Honda because the OEM ones are open (no seal) on the inner side. I ordered a couple KOYO, same dimensions but double sealed.

After the spacer between them and the second bearing, the cir clip follows

My forum:

My mods:
post #87 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

Then I got home, to fit the seals on

Lots of grease again

My forum:

My mods:
post #88 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

05-13-2013

A couple of weeks ago, my wheels were delivered to the factory

I should have them back by mid June

My forum:

My mods:
post #89 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

End of May I get this from the Marchesini factory

Marchesini answered my dealer about the wheels

Quote:
Unfortunately we inform you that your wheels canʼt be serviced because the customer has removed the painting in the internal zone of the canal so the magnesium has been damaged. As written on the document we sent you when the wheels have been modified or treated and are no more in the same conditions of when Marchesini shipped them originally Marchesini donʼt service them.

This because we canʼt ensure that the wheels are in good conditions and safe: please find here enclose the official report from our Quality Dept.

As soon as we will have the part numbers fixed in our system we will proceed in preparing the wheels to ship you back : Chiara will let you know when we will be ready (please consider at least 2 weeks).
F**k....

My forum:

My mods:
post #90 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

Did some measurements while waiting on the wheels to get back from Italy

What I came up with, is that if I owned an SP2 (frame wise) it would have spare me all the triples' modification troubles......

Honda never changed the "frame neck's" mold. They just bore the bearing rail's hole to 55mm instead of 47mm found in SP1 top as well as CBR 929/954/1000RR top and bottom....

So even if the shit hits the fan with the triple mod I am trying to pull, I can always have my frame milled at 55mm and fit an SP2 lower triple with it's bearings and it's upper triple as if I owned and SP2......always nice to have one more option available.

My forum:

My mods:
post #91 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

06-19-2013

The RC went a step further the other day.......it got off the elevator

My forum:

My mods:
post #92 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

So two weeks ago my Marchesinis came back from Italy.

The whole effort's result was 250 euros of shipping costs to there and back, plus an email that was saying "sorry, we cannot repair your wheels 'cause they are not suitable for driving/riding and the factory cannot guarantee their safe structure after refurbishing."

I will try to take them to another guy to get another professional opinion, although I doubt it can be more professional than the Marchesini Factory's one......anyway I am half way convinced that they are as good as a front yard ornament now.

My forum:

My mods:
post #93 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

So until I come up with a solution on the wheel issue, I went through a couple more steps on the front mod, just to cheer me up a bit.......it really did

First the switches and throttle must check if they fit on the Aprilia clip ons.

Well, they did, like a glove, apart from the throttle.

Aprilia uses Domino's throttle I think which they don't have the locking "tooth" inside like the Honda does.
So I had to drill open one just for the throttle.

Plus it was a nice chance to check the differences between Aprilia's and Honda's clip ons.

Aprilia's have the same angle, they are a bit longer (like 10mm) and they rise up 20mm more than the Honda clip ons......cool!

My forum:

My mods:
post #94 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

Then to try on the triple tree....

And here is the free adjustable fork's length that the combination of the upper RC51 and CBR 954's lower give so that later on I can adjust the trail if I have to.

Yokes are mounted in their final position where they will be when the pivot is pressed on the lower and they are mounted on the frame.

I also dig up my brother Fireblade's wheels from the storage.

I don't like their 3 spike design but they will sail my boat until I come up with a final solution on my wheels.

My forum:

My mods:
post #95 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

And now it was time to mount them all on each other and on the bike, so that I could smile again, even for a moment.......

Heeeeyyyy.......where did these come from?

My forum:

My mods:
post #96 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

I really don't like the 3 spoke design......

My forum:

My mods:
post #97 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

But now there is a new problem that needs to be solved.

An RSV-R's front mudguard would fit the Ohlins' mount brackets so I could use one but....

the RSV-R also uses the 203mm spacing triples

Now that I bored the Honda triples to fit the Ohlins, the MR carbon front mudguard I've got, would fit the spacing but NOT it's mounting brackets on the forks.
And I cannot use an RSV-R front fender cause it won't fit the spacing

So.....

......what fender can I use ? ? ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking a lot about it......

If I used an Aprilia RSV-R front mudguard, it's mounting "legs" would have the correct length for the fork's mount but they are narrower so it's "legs" would meet the fork's mount on the inside having an almost 5mm gap from them.
The Honda Magical Racing mudguard I had before, has the right spacing on it's "legs" but they are short and the mudguard rests on the tyres before it's holes align with the fork's mounts. In addition, it's fork boot pockets cannot fit around the fork cause the Showa is smaller than the Ohlins,
And then it hit me.....Ducati!!!

Ohlins equipped but their forks are the same spaced apart as Honda.

So after a lot of googling around, I found out that the Ducati 999R has a very similar front mudguard to the one I am looking for.

So I searched on eBay, and I found a very very helpful seller who sent me some measurements.

And finally I came to this:

My measurements on the fork:

A= 222mm
B= 204mm
C= 95mm
D= 65mm

Seller's data:

So I will order the DU153 and try it on. Maybe I'll have to fabricate some spacers, maybe not.......

My forum:

My mods:
post #98 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM

calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisRC51 View Post
I aslo replased my OEM front calipers with a pair from the GSXR 750 2008 and my front master with one from a CBR 1000RR 2009 and installed a cheap pair of anodized levers.

hi,
where can I buy the bracket for calipers ?
regards
post #99 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatolpiupiu View Post
hi,
where can I buy the bracket for calipers ?
regards
I had purchased them off eBay for 200 euros, made in Italy but by the looks of it, they are off the market now.

You can use these instead if you want

00 06 RC51 VTR1000R SP2 SP1 RVT Caliper Bracket Brembo Nissin Tokico Radial 108 | eBay

My forum:

My mods:
post #100 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Hellas Addicted RC51

07-09-2013

Pro-Bolt Titanium was the days theme today!

My forum:

My mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode