RC51 Streetfighter Build - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

RC51 Streetfighter Build

Purists and haters be damned. Using the PVM Viper as motivation I have sold off all the parts from my pristine, never been down, 2003 RC51 and have started my build. Always in need of more funds, so feel free to visit my classified ads.

Here is what she looked like two weeks ago before the part out. Nevermind the crappy track tank, the nice one was on the shelf tucked neatly away.

Mid part out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b.miller123; 03-13-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Cleared out the subframe and labeled everything with my handy label maker.

About 30 minutes after staring tonight:

Couldn't help but see what the exhaust might look like. The cans will be shortened down about 6 inches from this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

After a couple more beers, and more label making, this is where she sits:

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Still figuring out where all the electronics stuff will be located. I've gotten some ideas and stuff from dstewart's builds. The battery will be below the front header, but everything else is still up in the air. I've given some thought to mounting the ECU behind the left hand frame spar that goes to the lower mount. I think it will probably get too hot and get toasted there. I can't have it mounted to the outside of the frame, as it will be exposed and look like shit. Only other options I see are: place it under the seat or down where the battery will be since the battery will be a smaller lithium unit. I think under the seat will be best as I don't want all those wires running down to where the battery is.

Hopefully parts will start arriving next week. So far I have the following on order:
Front mounts
Yamaha XT660R headlight/cowling/windscreen and other stuff
Bars
Bar clamps
Speedo healer (the Jim Ahlman unit was just another big thing to hide)
cbr1000rr tail and seat cowl
thorsten frame sliders
Better shape fuel tank that will still need some work, but it is better than the white one.

I am still debating about which tail I want to use. The cbr is the one that the viper has, but I don't know how it will look with the larger oval sato cans. I have been giving some thought to using a ducati 1098/848 tail as well. I think it will probably look much better and fit the RC's fat ugly tank better than the cbr unit. I have also thought about an mv agusta tail, but they are ridiculously expensive and harder to find.

Thoughts and input is always welcome.

post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM

use an RC211V tail. You can get one for the NC30 from Tyga right now!
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Big Thymer

Cool man, will look forward to the progress and to see the final product.

post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbear View Post
use an RC211V tail. You can get one for the NC30 from Tyga right now!
Hmm, not sure how it would look since I want two exhaust cans.

post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Still figuring out where all the electronics stuff will be located. <snip> Thoughts and input is always welcome.
When my buddy built his VFR streetfighter with no tail at all on it, he wound up refabricating the fuel tank 'floor' so that it sat higher in the back and made room for the battery and other stuff usually in the tail. He lost about half a gallon of fuel capacity, but its all hidden.

Keep up the good work and keep taking pics!
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezmo View Post
When my buddy built his VFR streetfighter with no tail at all on it, he wound up refabricating the fuel tank 'floor' so that it sat higher in the back and made room for the battery and other stuff usually in the tail. He lost about half a gallon of fuel capacity, but its all hidden.

Keep up the good work and keep taking pics!
I don't think it would work well with the RC tank. The fuel pump is pretty far back towards the rear mount. That is a good idea though.

post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Will you be using clipons or risers with some sort of handle bar? I like the riser look with bars for a streetfighter...keep us posted
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Will you be using clipons or risers with some sort of handle bar? I like the riser look with bars for a streetfighter...keep us posted
I'm probably going to go with a standard handle bar setup. It will be interesting with the scotts damper in the way. I've looked into using a scotts sub mount, but most of those seem pretty expensive and it doesn't look like they are universal. For the price, it is hard to beat a set of cheap bar mounts and risers and just drilling the stock triple.

That is the plan for now, it may change further down the road, but I need to just work on getting it all together for now and then iron out little details later. At my current job (which hopefully I won't have much longer, I'm interviewing for another job with a possible 42% raise over what I am making now) I have the ability to get pretty much anything I want machined, as I can do the design, programming and run the cnc machines. Just a question of how custom I want to go and finding the time to do everything.

post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM

I hear ya...of all the resources I have at my disposal time seems to be the one I have the least of. Good luck and keep the pics of the progress coming.
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Silverback

This is awesome! I've always wanted to fighter mine, but doubt I ever will. The thought of this bike, upright w/db bars is very boner inspiring.

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Some new parts arrived today. The piles are starting to get bigger. I need to get my ass into gear with the rewiring....

Radiators and tyga hugger, mini reservoirs and bump pad courtesy of Glenn. I think I got the underhung bracket from him about two years ago! Finally scored a brand new ducati caliper for it a few months back. Shift kit is off wibbly's bike.

I actually found the headlight from searching for "XT660R headlight for sale forum", and found a classifieds ad from may of 2011 from a guy in the UK on some random forum. Joined that forum and sent the guy an email. He actually still had all of it brand new, still in the box sitting in his garage. He had just finished cleaning out his spare parts and this stuff was going on eBay the next day before I emailed him. Totally worth every penny, but you don't even want to know how much all this cost.

post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Not much work done today as I am helping the wife restore some antique furniture for our daughter's bedroom and I had to take a look at something on my truck. Thought it was ball joints (just replaced two of them ****ers) but it was just rotted bushings on my shocks. Got some help from the little one with the truck:

post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 AM
tough as sardines

Off to a good start. At what point did you finally decide to pull the trigger and go balls deep with the build?
post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
Off to a good start. At what point did you finally decide to pull the trigger and go balls deep with the build?
After a long night filled with beers and talk of motorcycles with a good friend who I am helping rebuild a superhawk with. He is kind of going the opposite way and ditching the cheap Chinese fairings that the previous owner put on (his bike was badly neglected) and replacing them with Mario Nava fairings from Italy. He's adding stuff and I'm taking it away

It is still hard to look at pictures of fully faired RC51's, but I know that ten years from now, I'll still be able to buy another one if I'd like. But building something that nobody else has, that is something that can't be replaced by a search on Craigslist or cycle trader. I just finally said f*ck it, I'll own this bike for as long as I can by choice. Might as well make it mine.

Last edited by b.miller123; 03-13-2012 at 03:40 AM.
post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
glad to see I'm not the only one populating this area. looking forward to following along. seeing other people make some progress keeps the motivation up. I love build threads, especially real custom stuff, and not just the" hey I bolted on a shock" kinda things. good luck on the build.

06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Member (Large)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
glad to see I'm not the only one populating this area. looking forward to following along. seeing other people make some progress keeps the motivation up. I love build threads, especially real custom stuff, and not just the" hey I bolted on a shock" kinda things. good luck on the build.
Actually, your thread was the catalyst that set this all off. I was showing it to my friend and that began the snowball effect. So a big thanks to you.

Got a little progress done today, no pics yet though. Just did a mock up with the rads and am messing around with the headlight for a bit. Did some cleaning, underneath the thermostat was filled with tiny pebbles and a couple very large dead insects.

I still have to order some braided hose for the oil lines, and I might do the quick disconnects on the fuel tank, so I'll need it for that too. I have to figure out which ends I want and the size for the fuel line. Gotta do some research on that part.

post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 AM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
I accept nooooo responsibility for the tear down of a pristine RC51 lol. just kidding. I got a lot of inspiration from customfighters.com forums. not so much in ideas, but a lot of builds getting updated very often. lots of good info floatin around on that site. lots of shit too, but there are a few real talented builders over there.

I don't think people realize how much extra work it is doing one of these threads along side a build, but well worth doing it. it's cool to see a bike being born and the unique ideas others come up with to common issues.

unfortunately I brought my project to a screeching halt (temporarily of course) 'cause I blew a good chunk of my budget bolting an Ohlins shock on my RC. lol (no thread required) but should return to making real progress soon.

06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode